Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Bird rookie purchase (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252174)

w7imel 03-05-2018 11:32 PM

Bird rookie purchase

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to share with you guys a card that as a kid seemed as mythical as bigfoot (im 47). Me and my friends would always see a third of the card or maybe the whole card seperated but never one fully intact. Growing up in Indiana Larry Bird was bigger than life to me as a kid. A few days ago me and wife were just talking and I had mentioned always wanting and not having a Bird rookie and she pushed me toward buying one. Not wanting to break the bank with a PSA 10 for 75,000 I looked closer to my "wanting to spend" budget and pulled the trigger on this one. This is one of the iconic cards from my childhood for sure. I normally do auto's only but this card has always been in back of my mind.
Maybe a Jordan rookie next?:):)

Any similar stories?

Scott Garner 03-06-2018 04:25 AM

Congrats Michael! Any card that features the likes of Bird, Magic and Dr. J is flat out perfect in my book.

I really appreciated the careers of all 3 of these guys. I was a lifelong Magic and Lakers fan growing up in So Cal. Ironically, I had the opportunity to meet and talk with both Magic & Dr. J at luggage carousels in airports through the years. Magic was in DET, my home airport where he was flying in to pick up his mom to get inducted in the Basketball HOF the following day with your boy Larry Bird. Dr. J was also post playing days and I met him in Orange County John Wayne airport where he was flying in to play in the Don Drysdale Memorial Golf Tournament. We chatted about his golf game. Both guys were incredibly nice to meet in person.

I'm glad you scratched this iconic card off your bucket list! :D

MacDice 03-06-2018 11:54 AM

I remember before the basketball craze picking up that card for $3. Should have bought more. Also remember paying $60 for an 85 Star Company Set

CW 03-06-2018 01:35 PM

Judging by the title I thought this was going to be about the '77 Topps Mark Fidrych. :)

The Bird, Magic, Dr. J card is a classic within the hobby -- congrats on picking up a nice high grade, well centered copy. Your wife sounds like a keeper if she's pushing you to achieve your dreams. Thanks for sharing.

w7imel 03-06-2018 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1754717)
Judging by the title I thought this was going to be about the '77 Topps Mark Fidrych. :)

The Bird, Magic, Dr. J card is a classic within the hobby -- congrats on picking up a nice high grade, well centered copy. Your wife sounds like a keeper if she's pushing you to achieve your dreams. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, my wife a for sure keeper!! She has saw me buy alot of crazy things over the years. As far as the card I reasearched a bunch before getting this one, I too loved the centering both left and right and up and down. Ive always tried to buy stuff with "eye appeal" as opposed to settling on a lesser appealing casrd for the simple reason, God forbid anything bad happens and I need to sell some items I feel they will be the easiest to unload in a hurry. Going to frame the card with my Bird auto that is "To Mike" that I received from him TTM. Just not sure yet how I want displayed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

jad22 03-07-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 1754895)
Thanks, my wife a for sure keeper!! She has saw me buy alot of crazy things over the years. As far as the card I reasearched a bunch before getting this one, I too loved the centering both left and right and up and down. Ive always tried to buy stuff with "eye appeal" as opposed to settling on a lesser appealing casrd for the simple reason, God forbid anything bad happens and I need to sell some items I feel they will be the easiest to unload in a hurry. Going to frame the card with my Bird auto that is "To Mike" that I received from him TTM. Just not sure yet how I want displayed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

What year did you get that TTM?

w7imel 03-07-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad22 (Post 1755000)
What year did you get that TTM?

mid 90's. Why you ask?

jad22 03-07-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 1755037)
mid 90's. Why you ask?

Apparently it is hard to get a personalized Bird autograph these days. Not sure when LB stopped doing that, as I have a personalized one, but its 1988.

w7imel 03-07-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad22 (Post 1755132)
Apparently it is hard to get a personalized Bird autograph these days. Not sure when LB stopped doing that, as I have a personalized one, but its 1988.

Also got my son a card signed and personalized around same time. To Isaac, Merry Christmas, Larry Bird. Not sure if he still signs TTM or not.