Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fake PSA 7 Green Cobb Bid Over $16,000 On eBay? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252682)

griffon512 03-18-2018 08:52 PM

Fake PSA 7 Green Cobb Bid Over $16,000 On eBay?

Card is sitting at over $16,000 (a number of high feedback bidders) with over 6 days to go.

Here's a link to the card on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-T...8AAOSwFSharvF-

Here's a link to a PSA 7 T206 Green Cobb with the same cert number sold in a SCP auction in 2007: https://catalog.scpauctions.com/bids...ce?itemid=2039

Note differences in centering and wear on the bottom right hand corner of the card in the current eBay auction that isn't evident on the card in the SCP auction. [Added: As Steve D. points out below, Piedmont is listed on SCP card flip while eBay card has a Sweet Cap back].

If someone can point out anything definitive in the eBay auction regarding evidence of holder tampering you either have a better eye than me or are just making things up. Obvious differences in the flip as well.

mechanicalman 03-18-2018 09:16 PM

Nice detective work, James.

Peter_Spaeth 03-18-2018 09:28 PM

Years back when there was a rash of fake 52T Mantles the sellers would use index cards like that. What the bleep? Anyhow perhaps the Mexican guy can now fake the prior generation of flip/holder?

joshuanip 03-18-2018 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Before seeing this post on net54, I asked for the top of the slab as it looked frosted. This is the pic he gave me.

Attachment 309266

He sent a second respond by asking if I was interested as he already received an offer for "x".

I responded by asking for the complete top, including the PSA number and top half of the card. Still awaiting a response.

Rhotchkiss 03-18-2018 09:38 PM

Great sleuthing James. Certainly been a recent increase of fraudulent high-end cards on eBay lately. Good to have net54 as a watch dog

Peter_Spaeth 03-18-2018 09:40 PM

The message me an offer is a telltale sign of a fraudulent listing. And the inactivity in the account for a long time.

joshuanip 03-18-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1758788)
The message me an offer is a telltale sign of a fraudulent listing.

yup, and why would he not provide the whole top half including the barcode.

A card like that needs tons of pics to sell it, someone is going to get burned. I bet you that the card I probably altered on top of it not being the originally graded card.

botn 03-18-2018 09:45 PM

Seller listing shows he is out of San Ysidro, CA which is right on the border of Mexico.

Santo10Fan 03-18-2018 09:51 PM

I'd like to see the look on his face when payment arrives via paypal cc, since it's offered in the auction software, no matter what this thief says about his preferred payment method. This auction ain't gonna make it that far, tho. These guys are aiming high this weekend, must be taking a page from Carl Icahn or something.

Also, sending an offer to a seller who didn't add best offer button is one thing. Worst case scenario is a rude response. But asking for offers on your item without adding the button should be a violation of terms.

griffon512 03-18-2018 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuanip (Post 1758789)
yup, and why would he not provide the whole top half including the barcode.

A card like that needs tons of pics to sell it, someone is going to get burned. I bet you that the card I probably altered on top of it not being the originally graded card.

For some it needs a ton of pics to sell it, for someone else the current pictures are worth over $18,000 and counting. These are not newbies bidding on it.

My first impression after seeing the pic on ebay was that the top of the holder might be frosted or it might be glare from the pic. It appears to be just glare.

The most likely scenario as far as I can tell is what Peter alluded to: that this is a fake card with a flip and holder designed by someone who has successfully replicated many of the features of a previous generation PSA flip/holder. If a previous photo didn't exist showing a different card with the same cert number and the seller didn't raise red flags within the listing (e.g., payment terms that would seem to be a workaround on buyer protection), it would be that much easier to be duped. Gives me another reason to be skeptical of buying high end cards until these issues are resolved.

Santo10Fan 03-18-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffon512 (Post 1758795)
For some it needs a ton of pics to sell it, for someone else the current pictures are worth over $18,000 and counting. These are not newbies bidding on it.

My first impression after seeing the pic on ebay was that the top of the holder might be frosted or it might be glare from the pic. It appears to be just glare.

The most likely scenario as far as I can tell is what Peter alluded to: that this is a fake card with a flip and holder designed by someone who has successfully replicated many of the features of a previous generation PSA flip. If a previous photo didn't exist showing a different card with the same cert number and the seller didn't raise red flags within the listing (e.g., payment terms that would seem to be a workaround on buyer protection), it would be that much easier to be duped. Gives me another reason to be skeptical of buying high end cards until these issues are resolved.

I mean, if you can afford this card you can afford flying somewhere to buy it in person

Steve D 03-18-2018 10:19 PM

Also, since the one on ebay is a more recent label/flip, shouldn't it identify the back cigarette brand on it?

The SCP card was identified as "Piedmont", why isn't the one on ebay, since it purports to be a later label?

I just noticed that the one on ebay is a Sweet Caporal, so obviously a different card!

Steve

dplath 03-18-2018 10:21 PM

Interestingly when you scan the bar code using the PSA Cert app it checks out as being a NM 7 Green Cobb and that the cert has hologram security with barcode on back.

While we’re on the subject of fake PSA slabs/certs...

I recently won an 86 Fleer Sticker Jordan PSA 10 in PWCC. When I went to add the card to my registry PSA said to send them pics because the previous owner said he still has the card. So I sent pics and apparently he sent pics too because PSA said there’s something wrong and I needed to send the card in. I had notified Brent right away that there might be an issue and was keeping in touch with him so after PSA requested that I send it in he had me send the card back to him and refunded my money. I never followed up with him to see what came of it. Here’s a link to the eBay listing:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401488259062

Steve D 03-18-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dplath (Post 1758800)
Interestingly when you scan the bar code using the PSA Cert app it checks out as being a NM 7 Green Cobb and that the cert has hologram security with barcode on back.

Correct, PSA's database identifies the cert # as a PSA 7 T206 Cobb-Green background with a Piedmont-150 back.

The card on ebay is a Sweet Caporal-350 back.

Steve

Steve D 03-18-2018 10:33 PM

And now, the listing has just been removed :D

Steve

dplath 03-18-2018 10:34 PM

Yeah, I hadn’t noticed the discrepancy in the back type.

I was filing a report with eBay, notifying them that there’s something wrong with the card and then saw that the listing was removed.

Santo10Fan 03-18-2018 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve d (Post 1758802)
and now, the listing has just been removed :d

steve

relisted

toledo_mudhen 03-19-2018 03:14 AM

8 User IDs over last 5 years -

<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" border="0"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff">wilsonwilson335</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">Feb-22-18</td> <td class="body" colspan="2" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Present </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="7" class="body" bgcolor="#ffffff"> <table width="99%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr> <td height="1" bgcolor="#cccccc">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">bradycollector2000</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">Feb-19-18</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#ffffff">Feb-22-18</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="7" class="body" bgcolor="#ffffff"> <table width="99%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr> <td height="1" bgcolor="#cccccc">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">cardfan99</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">May-17-17</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#ffffff">Feb-19-18</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="7" class="body" bgcolor="#ffffff"> <table width="99%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr> <td height="1" bgcolor="#cccccc">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">oldschool86</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">Oct-09-16</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#ffffff">May-17-17</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="7" class="body" bgcolor="#ffffff"> <table width="99%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr> <td height="1" bgcolor="#cccccc">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">procollector11515</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">Aug-13-16</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#ffffff">Oct-09-16</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="7" class="body" bgcolor="#ffffff"> <table width="99%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr> <td height="1" bgcolor="#cccccc">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">goatcollector</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">Jul-12-16</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#ffffff">Aug-13-16</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="7" class="body" bgcolor="#ffffff"> <table width="99%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr> <td height="1" bgcolor="#cccccc">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">pristinegems2000</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">Feb-27-16</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#ffffff">Jul-12-16</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="7" class="body" bgcolor="#ffffff"> <table width="99%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr> <td height="1" bgcolor="#cccccc">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">w*************5</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff">Mar-24-13</td> <td class="body" width="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">
</td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#ffffff">Feb-27-16</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="body" colspan="7" width="5" bgcolor="#eeeef8">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

Rhotchkiss 03-19-2018 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santo10Fan (Post 1758807)
relisted

Yup, relisted; I can’t cut link on my phone but just search t206 Cobb and there it is at $11k+. PSA certification look up defines it at as a piedmont, this is an SC, sold in SCP auctions- and as James points out, this is 100% not the same card as sold in SCP auctions. Scam

t206wagner 03-19-2018 05:55 AM

I didn't see the original listing, but he has this in the description:

Check or bank wire only will be accepted as payment . free overnight shipping thanks

Leon 03-19-2018 12:08 PM

Gone. Thanks Ebay!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffon512 (Post 1758772)
Card is sitting at over $16,000 (a number of high feedback bidders) with over 6 days to go.

Here's a link to the card on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-T...8AAOSwFSharvF-

Here's a link to a PSA 7 T206 Green Cobb with the same cert number sold in a SCP auction in 2007: https://catalog.scpauctions.com/bids...ce?itemid=2039

Note differences in centering and wear on the bottom right hand corner of the card in the current eBay auction that isn't evident on the card in the SCP auction. [Added: As Steve D. points out below, Piedmont is listed on SCP card flip while eBay card has a Sweet Cap back].

If someone can point out anything definitive in the eBay auction regarding evidence of holder tampering you either have a better eye than me or are just making things up. Obvious differences in the flip as well.

earlywynnfan 03-19-2018 06:36 PM

I would love to be a goat collector, but my wife says our back yard isn't big enough.

cardnvstr01 08-19-2018 05:03 PM

Looking for some help

Hey friends -- looking for a little help here. Unfortunately, I've recently been in contact with the fraudster described here earlier. I didn't do enough homework in time, and let my optimistic nature get the better of me.

But he is still out there peddling extremely well done counterfeit PSA items, and I'm trying to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else.

If anyone can remember any details, or has any old texts/emails from interactions with this scammer - please PM me directly. His ebay handle has been changed again recently now to sufferman11515. If you have any contact with him, please let this board (and me) know asap. thanks!