Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   A tale of 2 sellers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263711)

Jim65 12-25-2018 10:30 AM

A tale of 2 sellers

I recently started collecting Topps Heritage and placed 2 orders from 2 different sellers on Ebay.

Seller #1 Burbank Sportscards, Heritage commons are .99, they offer free shipping on $20 orders. Cards arrived in a hard plastic case in a padded envelope in mint condition.

Seller #2 COMC, Heritage commons about the same price .99 to $1.05. Shipping is $3.99 + .25 per card. Cards arrived in a team set bag with 2 toploaders taped front and back in a padded envelope. They were taped loosely and the top 2 cards and bottom 2 cards arrived with dinged corners. I paid $11 for shipping which I'm not complaining about because I knew up front but for that price I expected better protection.

Guess which company will be getting my future business?

swarmee 12-25-2018 02:07 PM

COMC will take full refunds on any cards that arrive damaged. Just message them. You're much better off buying those Heritage commons from comc.com instead of their eBay site. You could have bought those cards for about half price on COMC directly. Buying them on eBay, they have to price them at 99 cents because that is the minimum eBay will allow fixed price listings for.
Or even sportslots.com, if you're just grabbing a bunch of commons from a set or two.

I'm a big COMC fan, but you're paying about double on low priced cards for the privilege of buying them on eBay instead.

mrmopar 12-25-2018 02:18 PM

I have never paid more than $4 for shipping on COMC. Did something change?

swarmee 12-25-2018 02:22 PM

He's buying through eBay. They add an extra quarter per card for "expedited" shipping, which is required through eBay and Amazon, and now on the COMC's site if you're not logged in.
Here's a primer to COMC I wrote on another board. The first post on page 2 shows their newest changes that are starting right about now.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1211826

Peter_Spaeth 12-25-2018 03:48 PM

I've only ordered single cards from COMC but I've had no issue with packaging, it's always solid.

Jim65 12-25-2018 04:03 PM

My problem was not the price I paid per card, my local card shops charge about the same when they do have Heritage commons. My problem was the crappy packaging they charged $11 for. I could have returned $4 worth of cards but whats the point?

One company gave me free shipping and great packaging and the second company charged $11 and gave me crappy packaging. I'm done with COMC, fool me once.

ALR-bishop 12-25-2018 04:23 PM

I do not buy my Heritage cards through COMC....or Burbank, but I do use COMC when looking for variants because they have back scans and often offer separate listings for known variants. Plus they have always sent the actual card in the scan I ordered. Have had some issues with Burbank on that score. My COMC purchases have always been well packaged. But obviously the OP has had a different and disappointing experience with them.

bnorth 12-25-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1839442)
I recently started collecting Topps Heritage and placed 2 orders from 2 different sellers on Ebay.

Seller #1 Burbank Sportscards, Heritage commons are .99, they offer free shipping on $20 orders. Cards arrived in a hard plastic case in a padded envelope in mint condition.

Seller #2 COMC, Heritage commons about the same price .99 to $1.05. Shipping is $3.99 + .25 per card. Cards arrived in a team set bag with 2 toploaders taped front and back in a padded envelope. They were taped loosely and the top 2 cards and bottom 2 cards arrived with dinged corners. I paid $11 for shipping which I'm not complaining about because I knew up front but for that price I expected better protection.

Guess which company will be getting my future business?

That sucks. I have bought easily a 1000 cards from COMC and have never had a card damaged.

Like Al, I like that COMC has front and back scans and you get the exact card you purchased. I am not a fan of Burbank because they use a ton of "stock" photos so you might not get the card pictured.

mrmopar 12-26-2018 03:32 PM

My COMC orders are usually "larger", say 50-100 cards or more. I usually ship once or twice per year these days. I have yet to have a problem with the shipping myself, but I suppose it could happen to folks from time to time.

I have had a fair number of poorly packaged shipments through eBay though, as most anyone buying enough probably has as well. Most survived w/o damage, but some have not. Some people are just clueless when it comes to packaging something to avoid potential damage.

Promethius88 12-29-2018 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1839442)

If you are looking for 2018's I have a 3200 count box with extras. I would be happy to help you out and probably at very little over the shipping cost. I think I sold off 5 complete sets this year as well as a master set. It was fun but I just don't need all of them sitting around.
Tim

p.s. I actually know how to package as well! ;)

Jim65 12-29-2018 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Promethius88 (Post 1840401)
If you are looking for 2018's I have a 3200 count box with extras. I would be happy to help you out and probably at very little over the shipping cost. I think I sold off 5 complete sets this year as well as a master set. It was fun but I just don't need all of them sitting around.
Tim

p.s. I actually know how to package as well! ;)

I appreciate the offer, I am good on '18s. Thanks.

Promethius88 12-29-2018 10:48 AM

I also have a few hundred 2012's as well if you are doing past years.

Exhibitman 12-29-2018 08:54 PM

Burbank is my LCS. Great people to deal with.