Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mark R Jordan Authentication (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245421)

Sivart31 09-27-2017 07:38 AM

Mark R Jordan Authentication

Does anyone know anything about this out of Arlington? Seems super fishy, but looks like he may now work for one of the big auction houses. thANKS

w7imel 09-27-2017 10:31 AM

Mark has been around for decades and runs a pretty legit buisiness from what I know.

Sivart31 09-27-2017 11:57 AM

I should clarify

The COA looks odd. On a $130 Kiki cuyler. It just seems way too good to be true.

Matt Travis

RichardSimon 09-27-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sivart31 (Post 1705014)
The COA looks odd. On a $130 Kiki cuyler. It just seems way too good to be true.

Matt Travis

Can we see it??

Sivart31 09-27-2017 04:25 PM

I think I sorted it out. It actually is a legit authentication, I was just worried about the COA. I emailed Mark, who is now at Heritage and he confirmed both the authenticity of the COA and the item.

Duluth Eskimo 09-27-2017 08:21 PM

It must be authentic if Mark says so. I wouldn't be so trusting.

Leaf 09-28-2017 07:06 AM

I’d like to see the item... I wouldn’t blindly trust the cert...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klrdds 09-28-2017 11:08 AM

Unfortunately I wouldn't accept his cert on face value. Without wanting to cast stones on someone's reputation I wonder if any of the other veteran collectors like myself from the late 1980s to mid 1990s remember when Mark Jordan was one of SCD's top advertisers and then he became a top authenticator for Wolffer's auctions, which suddenly closed as a business after their owner / founder Duane Garrett committed suicide amid massive claims of forgeries and fake items in his auctions , mainly involving, but not limited to autographs that Mark Jordan issued COAs for. He held that position with them for several auctions over a period a few years and after the controversies he kind of disappeared from the hobby for several years until resurfacing as a consultant for HA, and other AHs.
Personally I would be suspect of any LOA/COA associated with him especially when he was by himself as a dealer/authenticator.

Duluth Eskimo 09-28-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1705317)
Unfortunately I wouldn't accept his cert on face value. Without wanting to cast stones on someone's reputation I wonder if any of the other veteran collectors like myself from the late 1980s to mid 1990s remember when Mark Jordan was one of SCD's top advertisers and then he became a top authenticator for Wolffer's auctions, which suddenly closed as a business after their owner / founder Duane Garrett committed suicide amid massive claims of forgeries and fake items in his auctions , mainly involving, but not limited to autographs that Mark Jordan issued COAs for. He held that position with them for several auctions over a period a few years and after the controversies he kind of disappeared from the hobby for several years until resurfacing as a consultant for HA, and other AHs.
Personally I would be suspect of any LOA/COA associated with him especially when he was by himself as a dealer/authenticator.

++++++

RichardSimon 09-28-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1705317)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Duane Garrett was a customer of mine.
He would buy items from me and then they would appear in his catalog.
I would get questions from my clients about Wolfers items. I would dispute the authenticity in many, many instances.
Eventually Duane stopped buying from me. I figure my constantly saying I questioned his material got back to him.
Eventually, as posted here, he committed suicide, shrouded in mystery as to why.

RichardSimon 09-28-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sivart31 (Post 1705110)
I think I sorted it out. It actually is a legit authentication, I was just worried about the COA. I emailed Mark, who is now at Heritage and he confirmed both the authenticity of the COA and the item.

I would as a dealer certainly pay more than $130 for KiKi Cuyler authentic autograph.
IF IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE,,, THEN IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.
I would speculate that the seller might have suspicions already, thus the bargain price.

Scott Garner 09-30-2017 05:19 PM

It's not the cert, it's the authenticity of the actual signature...

Duluth Eskimo 09-30-2017 07:09 PM

I find it interesting that the item has not been posted.

Sophiedog 09-30-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1706092)
It's not the cert, it's the authenticity of the actual signature...

I agree with Scott. The seller may not know the signature and assume all must be bad by the COA. Even some of the worst authenticators get it right once or twice

Sophiedog 09-30-2017 07:26 PM

Do you have a picture of the item?

RichardSimon 10-01-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1706122)
I find it interesting that the item has not been posted.

+1