Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ohio Sports Collector Convention in Strongsville - Worth the drive? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165346)

markf31 03-15-2013 06:05 AM

Ohio Sports Collector Convention in Strongsville - Worth the drive?

I saw a banner ad here on the site for the Ohio Sports Collector Convention in Strongsville Ohio at the end of April. Has anyone attended this show before? It's about a 2 hour drive for me, would make a nice Saturday road trip for me if its a decent show. Any experiences/thoughts?

novakjr 03-15-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markf31 (Post 1103547)
I saw a banner ad here on the site for the Ohio Sports Collector Convention in Strongsville Ohio at the end of April. Has anyone attended this show before? It's about a 2 hour drive for me, would make a nice Saturday road trip for me if its a decent show. Any experiences/thoughts?

It's pretty much THE show in NE Ohio every year...I'd say it's worth checking out. I missed it last year, but generally try to get up there every year.. There should be a few threads about the show and pickups from the last few years if you use the search..

terjung 03-15-2013 07:45 AM

When I used to live in NE Ohio, the Strongsville show was always the best in the area. I haven't been there in years, but if there were one worth attending in NE Ohio, it'd be Strongsville.

Moonlight Graham 03-15-2013 10:25 AM

Absolutely

I live near that area and Dave is right-it is THE SHOW to go to in this area. Lots of vintage cards! I always walk away with a great deal or two every year.
Joe

Rob D. 03-15-2013 12:51 PM

It's a fairly small show -- especially compared to the good old days -- but I drive 2 hours every year and think it is well worth it.

Jewish-collector 03-15-2013 01:57 PM

I loved the old Strongsville show. Back in the late 1990's, I used to go to this show all the time. It was smaller than the Ft. Washington (Philly) show, but was just as good !!!

bsuttonosu 03-15-2013 05:55 PM

Good Show

Last year seemed a little smaller than the prior years to me but I go every year and always find it to be a fun show. Lots of vintage...maybe not as much per-war as post-war. But an overall good show and well worth the drive if you're somewhat close.

Rob D. 03-15-2013 08:14 PM

The Base Ball Bats card was a Strongsville purchase last year. The pin is from two years ago. Three years ago I didn't go until Sunday but still got a group of eight Van Patrick postcards, including a Bob Lemon.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ineedan...ats-orange.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/ineedan...0-pb-front.jpg

tothrk 03-16-2013 02:14 AM

Strongsville show

I've been to this many times over the years and I think it is still worth the drive. I would suggest that anybody driving a couple hours most definately go on Saturday as most dealers vacate early on Sunday.

markf31 03-16-2013 08:15 AM

Seems I will be making the trip from all the positive feedback. I see that it starts at Noon on Friday, Are all the dealers usually set up by mid-afternoon on Friday? Or would Saturday be the better choice?

novakjr 03-16-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tothrk (Post 1103822)
I've been to this many times over the years and I think it is still worth the drive. I would suggest that anybody driving a couple hours most definately go on Saturday as most dealers vacate early on Sunday.

Agreed. I can usually only make it on Sundays, and the tables definitely start to thin out.

jimivintage 04-12-2013 05:30 PM

Thought I'd bring this one back up since the show is next week. Thinking I will be there with one or two of my daughters. Anyone else going? Love to say hey to you!

Jimi

jp1216 04-12-2013 06:21 PM

I'll be there on Friday and maybe Sunday. Great show and great location (for me). I've taken my son a couple times too. He always walks away with a smile. The dealers and atmosphere are great!

jimivintage 04-12-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp1216 (Post 1116780)
I'll be there on Friday and maybe Sunday. Great show and great location (for me). I've taken my son a couple times too. He always walks away with a smile. The dealers and atmosphere are great!

Shoot, Jon, I think we are going on Saturday!

jimivintage 04-16-2013 09:16 AM

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that both my daughter and I will be wearing our Grady Sizemore Indians jerseys, so we will be easy to spot. I'm pretty tall, too, at 6'2" and Brooklyn's just a little 8 year old. Hopefully not too many others will fit that profile. :) Feel free to say hi if you spot me! I think we will be there all afternoon on Saturday.

novakjr 04-16-2013 09:22 AM

My sunday plans for the show fell apart. Didn't realize my sister had a bunch of pre-wedding stuff planned for that day. Working on new plans for saturday, but still not sure if they'll come together..

Seiklis 04-17-2013 06:35 PM

I'll probably be there Friday after 3PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markf31 (Post 1103866)
Seems I will be making the trip from all the positive feedback. I see that it starts at Noon on Friday, Are all the dealers usually set up by mid-afternoon on Friday? Or would Saturday be the better choice?

There is a earlybird price to get in at 11AM but I didn't find it worth it last year. Everyone but one person was set up by then so I'd say you'd be good to go right from the start

Leon 04-18-2013 05:34 PM

I would like to thank Fusco Auctions for advertising on the board with a friendly bump concerning the show. Good luck to all who go. May you find a card or two you need!!

Seiklis 04-19-2013 03:54 PM

Just got back...tired...some awesome stuff there though almost dove a couple times but ended up only doing a couple SGC submissions

jp1216 04-19-2013 07:26 PM

Got tied up at work Friday. Hope to make it on Sunday. Looking at the autograph sessions - Sunday will be busy FYI.

mr.t206 04-20-2013 05:10 PM

Went to the show today and I must say it was better than last years. Spoke to Bill Huggins, bougt a few t206's( Cobb red and green portrait and few southern leaguers ) dropped off a few cards to sgc to be graded. All in all worth the drive:)

Matt 04-20-2013 07:36 PM

Was going to go over tomorrow with my 9 year old as they've got Trent Richardson signing autos and that's his favorite player. Alas, I just checked the web site and it's $59 for a signature.

novakjr 04-20-2013 08:05 PM

Went up today with my dad, and my 2 sons. Spent maybe an hour there, should've spent more. But I think it was really good there this year. Managed to pick up a handful of the late 40's Indians Photopack photos on the cheap(3 different Veeck's, 3 different Lemon's, a Doby that I didn't have and Rosen that I wanted). Mostly doubles, but I couldn't beat the price. Also landed a beater '57 Sohio Colavito on the cheap. Dad made out with a few higher grade '55 All-Americans. Kinda wish we'd spent more time, but the kids were being a little difficult, so we had to cut it a little shorter than we would've liked..

All in all, as usual, it was well worth the trip..