Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SGC gripe (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=63426)

Archive 05-02-2003 08:17 AM

SGC gripe

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>They are still my pick for grading companies but there is no way a card that looks like this is only a 2 on a scale of 10. Just no way.......regards all.....<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2726877324&category=31 718" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2726877324&category=31 718</a>

Archive 05-02-2003 09:30 AM

SGC gripe

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Two creases on an otherwise near mint card is a vg at best. They might have been a little tough, but I can't tell from the scan if the card was ex-mnt or nm but for the creases.<BR><BR>PS: I'll take a "30" like this over an uncreased "50" with rounded corners every time.

Archive 05-02-2003 09:48 AM

SGC gripe

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Nothing personal here but I don't really give a rat's behind about ANY grading system with respect to this kind of situation....if you have a scale of 10 this is not only 20% of a perfect card...that's what I meant.....yes, technically it might be correct but that is my point....I sort of think the whole grading "crap" is flawed sometimes......If I had never heard of a grading company I would say this card in in excellent condition (as a lay person)....regards

Archive 05-02-2003 12:29 PM

SGC gripe

Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>Leon,<BR><BR>I agree with you 100% but I guess most will say my opinion is bias as I'm selling the card. I sent the card in thinking it was a "40" without question. What do I know. I have an E126 Cobb that got a 20 and I don't think ANY collector would call it a "fair" card. <BR><BR>I will also agree that there have been some SGC 50 grades lately that have some pretty soft corners. Seems like just when I feel I have a grip on the standards - the standards change. <BR><BR>The question is: "Was Derek too tough?" or "Are the new graders too generous?"<BR><BR>Regardless, SGC will continue to get my business.

Archive 05-02-2003 09:36 PM

SGC gripe

Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>The question is: "Was Derek too tough?" or "Are the new graders too generous?"&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>I had an E94 Lajoie graded which looked like it was close to a 60, but at least a 50, and it came back a 40, so I see no difference in their strict grading of caramel cards, at least for me.

Archive 05-02-2003 09:45 PM

SGC gripe

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>I recently sent in 11 vintage cards to SGC and I thought 2 were less than what I expected and one was higher than expected the other 8 were the grade I expected. I saw no difference from previous submissions plus the customer service was great as usual.<BR><BR>Lee

Archive 05-04-2003 11:00 AM

SGC gripe

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Since time immemorial (or at least since I started collecting in 1971) multiple creases = good or vg. I don't think I'm out on a limb on this, either. For example, here is what Beckett said in 1988 in the Baseball Collectibles book: "A 'Minor Defect' would be . . . light crease on back. . . An Excellent card may have minor defects." He also wrote: "A 'Major Defect' would be . . . crease(s). . . a VG card may have one major defect. A Good card may have two or more major defects." <BR><BR>Is this the irrefutable word from heaven? Nope. Can everyone have their own standards for grading? Nope. There has to be some consistency throughout the Hobby or we cannot converse accurately. I feel that my standards reflect the long-term "established" grading views of the Hobby and that SGC hits it on the nose nearly all the time. A card with more than one crease is vg at best. It isn't SGC or PSA or EIEIO's standard--it is pretty much an accepted standard among collectors. The card may have much better eye appeal but the grade is still the same. If not, we get into qualifiers, which I think we all agree is a pandora's box that only PSA has been dumb enough to open and only auctioneers are unscrupulous enough to employ ("excellent except for slight trimming"). <BR><BR>I agree it is a raw deal when a nice looking card gets a lower technical grade. That doesn't make the grade indefensible, just frustrating for the seller. As I said, I will take a nice card with a crease over a crease-free card with more wear. My DeLongs type card is exactly that, a Bill Terry that is ex-mt but for a crease.

Archive 05-04-2003 11:43 AM

SGC gripe

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>My guess is that Pete's card will command far over the price a similar 30, because there are more than enough buyers out there buy the card and not the holder, and visually it is a great card compared to most 30's. It would be interesting though to see a comparision of the card sold raw and sold in this state.<BR><BR>Just my thoughts,<BR><BR>Lee