Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking for advice with displaying graded cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217580)

Joshchisox08 02-03-2016 07:06 PM

Looking for advice with displaying graded cards

4 Attachment(s)
I finally have a place of my own and have walls where I can hang up the display cases that I bought off of eBay months ago.

The problem is that the cards fall forward when upright on the wall. The solution (for the time being is I put something behind the cases which you can see makes the bottom stick out so the cards are resting back on the back panels of the case.

I don't really like the way it looks. I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle this situation. I'm pretty pissed off as those cases where pretty expensive considering the material which probably cost about $10 if that to make them, doesn't keep the cards snug and secure to display on a wall (ISN'T THAT THE PURPOSE??????????)

I obviously don't want to glue, or put a adhesive that would destroy the slabs nor the crappy wood paneling that they're on. I had thought perhaps maybe something similar to painters tape (but that may not be strong enough to hold)??

Looking and open to suggestions so I can have the cards stay in place and not have to worry about them all tumbling down if I want to swap out a card to display.

Thanks in advance and Cheers,
Josh

quitcrab 02-03-2016 07:12 PM

Go to a craft store. Michael's .... Fun tack. It's like putty it will hold them in place and it comes off without leaving a trace. Scott

ajjohnsonsoxfan 02-03-2016 07:16 PM

Josh I have the same displays and use poster putty behind each card..works like a charm! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

Joshchisox08 02-03-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quitcrab (Post 1499821)
Go to a craft store. Michael's .... Fun tack. It's like putty it will hold them in place and it comes off without leaving a trace. Scott

Thanks Scott I'll tell the Fiance' to look for it when she's out shopping on her day off tomorrow!!!!

kmac32 02-03-2016 07:55 PM

2 questions. First, are the cases the pennzoni deep cases? The deep cases have a slot for the cards to ride in and the top of the slab leans against the back of the case. The non deep cases have this ledge thing holding the cards in and the cards tend to lean forward. Second question is did you use the hardware provided by pennzoni? You would do better with a french clete to hold the cases on the wall. They are more secure than the providd hardware and I would know living in earthquake territory. Also as mentioned above, there is a product called quake hold that you can stick to the top of the slab and it does not hurt the slab or the cabinet. I have used this technique in a 12 card pennzoni case.

Ken

bengineno9 02-03-2016 08:15 PM

I actually have both of those cases. On the inside I put down a long piece of double back tape on the back side. Put my cards in team bags and pressed them up against the back.

sbfinley 02-03-2016 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengineno9 (Post 1499847)
I actually have both of those cases. On the inside I put down a long piece of double back tape on the back side. Put my cards in team bags and pressed them up against the back.

This although I was going to say graded card sleeves, just as cheap.

Joshchisox08 02-03-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmac32 (Post 1499839)
2 questions. First, are the cases the pennzoni deep cases? The deep cases have a slot for the cards to ride in and the top of the slab leans against the back of the case. The non deep cases have this ledge thing holding the cards in and the cards tend to lean forward. Second question is did you use the hardware provided by pennzoni? You would do better with a french clete to hold the cases on the wall. They are more secure than the providd hardware and I would know living in earthquake territory. Also as mentioned above, there is a product called quake hold that you can stick to the top of the slab and it does not hurt the slab or the cabinet. I have used this technique in a 12 card pennzoni case.

Ken

Yes Ken, they're Pennzoni cases, as they appear to hold a monopoly if you will for these type of cases. I did NOT use their hardware.

I have seen what you're talking about and these cases are not the "deep" style otherwise I wouldn't have this issue.

Anyone know of any other company with cheaper or better cases?

Joshchisox08 02-03-2016 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengineno9 (Post 1499847)

Another alternative for me to consider, hmmm :)

kmac32 02-03-2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1499853)
Yes Ken, they're Pennzoni cases, as they appear to hold a monopoly if you will for these type of cases. I did NOT use their hardware.

I have seen what you're talking about and these cases are not the "deep" style otherwise I wouldn't have this issue.

Anyone know of any other company with cheaper or better cases?

I used to have the normal Pennzonni cases and they were okay but I had the same issues as you are having. Long story but about 5 years ago, had some health issues and most of the contents of our home ended up getting auctioned off including the old Pennzonni cases

When I was ready to redisplay the cards, I bought the deep cases. They were affordable (under $90) the cases look great and display my SGC slabbed cards nicely. Only issue I had was with SGC cards, they do not fit as many cards as they do with PSA cards. I eliminate this issue by spacing the cards correctly and they look great.

dzolot 02-03-2016 09:36 PM

Josh,

Beautiful cards by the way. Make sure to post some pics of the room and set up when it's all done!

Jobu 02-03-2016 09:41 PM

Those look great Josh. When you land that red Cobb will it get its own case? :D

Joshchisox08 02-04-2016 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1499882)
Those look great Josh. When you land that red Cobb will it get its own case? :D

Haha I had considered it but I'm not quite sure at this moment :D