Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Why do people feel the need to lie? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243144)

Jim65 08-03-2017 05:40 PM

Why do people feel the need to lie?

I make a $300 offer to a seller on an item, seller replies that he paid more than that. So I check some completed auctions trying to find comparable items to get an idea what my next offer should be and I find this jersey (exact same jersey, 100% conclusive photomatch) sold on a major AH 15 days ago for $225. I ask the seller what his best price was and he replied back that he paid $400 and can't go lower. I sent him a link to the auction and he replies its not the same jersey, hes had it for 30 years. I explain to him how every pinstripe matches, has a exact same size stain in the exact same spot and is missing a stitch in the same spot. I never heard back from.

Personally I don't care how much money a person makes on me if I pay a fair price but why lie? :confused:

irv 08-03-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1686852)
I make a $300 offer to a seller on an item, seller replies that he paid more than that. So I check some completed auctions trying to find comparable items to get an idea what my next offer should be and I find this jersey (exact same jersey, 100% conclusive photomatch) sold on a major AH 15 days ago for $225. I ask the seller what his best price was and he replied back that he paid $400 and can't go lower. I sent him a link to the auction and he replies its not the same jersey, hes had it for 30 years. I explain to him how every pinstripe matches, has a exact same size stain in the exact same spot and is missing a stitch in the same spot. I never heard back from him.

Personally I don't care how much money a person makes on me if I pay a fair price but why lie? :confused:

I love it when people get caught in their lies! :D

Good job, Jim. There is no doubt in my mind now, unless he decides to come clean, that you'll be hearing back from him anytime soon.

ALR-bishop 08-03-2017 09:50 PM

Earlier this year National Geographic devoted almost an entire issue answering this question from a scientific standpoint

And as Dr House said regularly, everyone lies

Jim65 08-04-2017 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1686915)
Earlier this year National Geographic devoted almost an entire issue answering this question from a scientific standpoint

And as Dr House said regularly, everyone lies

Od course everyone lies, you tell your boss his new baby is cute because the truth will get you fired, you tell your wife the 80 pounds she gained is barely noticable because you dont want to hurt her feelings.

Once a seller loses my trust, there is no way I am going to send him money. The thing is I wanted the jersey and would have spent the $400 had he been honest and upfront.

irv 08-04-2017 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1686939)
Od course everyone lies, you tell your boss his new baby is cute because the truth will get you fired, you tell your wife the 80 pounds she gained is barely noticable because you dont want to hurt her feelings.

Once a seller loses my trust, there is no way I am going to send him money. The thing is I wanted the jersey and would have spent the $400 had he been honest and upfront.

:D

samosa4u 08-07-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1686852)
I make a $300 offer to a seller on an item, seller replies that he paid more than that. So I check some completed auctions trying to find comparable items to get an idea what my next offer should be and I find this jersey (exact same jersey, 100% conclusive photomatch) sold on a major AH 15 days ago for $225. I ask the seller what his best price was and he replied back that he paid $400 and can't go lower. I sent him a link to the auction and he replies its not the same jersey, hes had it for 30 years. I explain to him how every pinstripe matches, has a exact same size stain in the exact same spot and is missing a stitch in the same spot. I never heard back from.

What's he supposed to write in his description?

"Hi everyone, I paid $225 for this jersey and I am looking to make around $100 profit on it. Thanks."

There is not a single seller out there who will tell his customers how much he really paid for his stuff - why would anyone want to do that? Do you tell others how much you paid for your stuff?

I find it extremely silly whenever someone emails me and starts asking how much I paid for my card, when I bought it, and who I bought it from. Pfttt, as if I am going to tell you all that! If I start doing that, then buyers will expect me to make no more than 10% profit. Oh, and wait, add to that the eBay and Paypal fees - how am I supposed to make any money?

bobbyw8469 08-07-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1688092)
What's he supposed to write in his description?

"Hi everyone, I paid $225 for this jersey and I am looking to make around $100 profit on it. Thanks."

There is not a single seller out there who will tell his customers how much he really paid for his stuff - why would anyone want to do that? Do you tell others how much you paid for your stuff?

I find it extremely silly whenever someone emails me and starts asking how much I paid for my card, when I bought it, and who I bought it from. Pfttt, as if I am going to tell you all that! If I start doing that, then buyers will expect me to make no more than 10% profit. Oh, and wait, add to that the eBay and Paypal fees - how am I supposed to make any money?

Touche.

packs 08-07-2017 03:54 PM

I find there are actually plenty of sellers who will tell you what they paid for something. It usually comes in the form of "Well, I've got X into it, so....."

bobbyw8469 08-07-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1688200)
I find there are actually plenty of sellers who will tell you what they paid for something. It usually comes in the form of "Well, I've got X into it, so....."

I believe the OP stated that the seller used such a statement, however, he lied about what he had in the item.

D.P.Johnson 08-07-2017 04:23 PM

Perhaps he forgot how much he paid for it.