Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   2001 Bowman Chrome Albert Pujoles the next 52 Topps Mantle? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152927)

zljones 06-24-2012 02:57 AM

2001 Bowman Chrome Albert Pujoles the next 52 Topps Mantle?

Only 500 printed. Already worth like $4,000 and climbing. Is this the most coveted card of the modern era? I almost wish I had $4,000 to spend on this card, it looks bad ass. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-BOWMAN-...-/260924078964

KenBoyerCollector 06-24-2012 06:27 AM

I think they were redemptions

I believe they were redemptions, too. Some say that not all were redeemed. I believe that is the holy grail of modern cards. Wish I had one, too

HRBAKER 06-24-2012 07:03 AM

This may well be the most coveted card of the modern era.
I have a hard time believing that this card will hold even its present value ten years after he has retired much less climb into the stratosphere like the '52T Mantle. Have we seen any examples of a modern card doing that?

Paul S 06-25-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1007008)
I have a hard time believing that this card will hold even its present value ten years after he has retired much less climb into the stratosphere like the '52T Mantle. Have we seen any examples of a modern card doing that?

+1

ALR-bishop 06-25-2012 06:35 AM

Expensive Modern cards

The most I have paid for a post 1980 card was the special issue Topps 1990 President Bush card in his Yale uniform . It will usually go for several thousand in top condition

doug.goodman 06-26-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zljones (Post 1006999)
Only 500 printed. Already worth like $4,000 and climbing. Is this the most coveted card of the modern era? I almost wish I had $4,000 to spend on this card, it looks bad ass. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-BOWMAN-...-/260924078964

How do we know there were only 500 printed?

Doug

doug.goodman 06-26-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1007269)
The most I have paid for a post 1980 card was the special issue Topps 1990 President Bush card in his Yale uniform . It will usually go for several thousand in top condition

That's one that I have my Republican friends looking around for.

Doug

zljones 06-26-2012 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=doug.goodman;1007635]How do we know there were only 500 printed?

Doug[/QUO

On the backs of all of them they say 100/500 or 253/500 written in marker by Pujoles. Plus Beckett said so too.

ALR-bishop 06-26-2012 06:35 AM

Friends

Doug...you have friends ? :)

UOFLfan7 06-26-2012 10:10 AM

It could possibly become as valuable as the 1952 Mickey Mantle, but I think that the modern card to watch is Starlin Castro's 2009 Topps RC. I believe that think will climb in value in the future!

ALR-bishop 06-26-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UOFLfan7 (Post 1007747)
It could possibly become as valuable as the 1952 Mickey Mantle, but I think that the modern card to watch is Starlin Castro's 2009 Topps RC. I believe that think will climb in value in the future!

Are you referring to a card from the regular set or some special insert or limited edition card ?

glchen 07-03-2012 08:06 PM

Some of the Jordan Metal cards seem to be going for some pretty serious coin (and I don't own any): Link

Leon 07-03-2012 11:37 PM

Those are some expensive modern cards you guys are talking about. It will be interesting to see where their values go over the next several years. I totally understand all of the adages we talk about "it's worth what someone will pay for it", "supply vs demand" and all of those things. But still, I have to think there is more risk with the new stuff than buying the pre-war at good buys. But what do I know? And I am NOT dissing on the new cards. To each their own. I am sure the new card collectors get the same joy from their collections as the vintage collectors.

zljones 07-04-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1010431)
Those are some expensive modern cards you guys are talking about. It will be interesting to see where their values go over the next several years. I totally understand all of the adages we talk about "it's worth what someone will pay for it", "supply vs demand" and all of those things. But still, I have to think there is more risk with the new stuff than buying the pre-war at good buys. But what do I know? And I am NOT dissing on the new cards. To each their own. I am sure the new card collectors get the same joy from their collections as the vintage collectors.

I agree, it's hard to determine the future of this card. One thing this card has over the 52 Mantle is scarcity. There are thousands of 52 Mantles out there but only 500 of these Pujoles cards; therefore, this one could have more promise especially if Pujoles keeps his nose clean and then makes the Hall Of Fame after retirement.

novakjr 07-04-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zljones (Post 1010588)
I agree, it's hard to determine the future of this card. One thing this card has over the 52 Mantle is scarcity. There are thousands of 52 Mantles out there but only 500 of these Pujoles cards; therefore, this one could have more promise especially if Pujoles keeps his nose clean and then makes the Hall Of Fame after retirement.

BUT Pujols also has a shitload of other cards. Yes, this is the one to have, but most people would rather settle for a lesser Pujols rookie rather than go nuts over the Bowman Chrome.. Some people also view it as an insert, so that actually works against the card's appeal in the eyes of some..

I'd rather have a different card, one that's value doesn't hinge on so many factors outside of the player alone.(SP, Redemption, Refractor, Auto, serial numbered)...

Matthew H 07-05-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1007008)
This may well be the most coveted card of the modern era.

You won't see examples of that until the time is right. The card is only 12 years old. How many youngsters have been worshiping him the last decade? How many of those kids will be wealthy 40 years from now? Does history repeat itself? Will these kids yearn for a rookie card of their idol when the time comes? Is 500 examples enough to go around?

Back in 2001 people were paying stoopid money for Albert and Ichiro RCs I thought they were nuts. This card has gone up, even nuttier. I think the only way this card fails is if he does something stupid... I think it will hold it's value.

ALR-bishop 07-05-2012 06:27 AM

Pujols

I also think his change of uniforms will somewhat negatively impact the value of his cards in the long run. Since he is under contract in LA for 20 years, 10 as a player, I assume he would go into the Hall as an Angel, at least if it happens while he is still under a personal service contract with them at the time.

HOF Auto Rookies 07-06-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1010744)
I also think his change of uniforms will somewhat negatively impact the value of his cards in the long run. Since he is under contract in LA for 20 years, 10 as a player, I assume he would go into the Hall as an Angel, at least if it happens while he is still under a personal service contract with them at the time.

No chance he'll go in as an Angel with all that he has done for StL

ALR-bishop 07-07-2012 07:56 AM

Pujols

I am from St Louis and a long time Cardinals fan. Went to Series games in 64, 67, 68, 82,85,88, 04, 06 and 11. I hope you are right. But it is my understanding he did not just sign a player contact with LA. He has a second personal service agreement that runs 10 years BEYOND his player contract. If he is voted to the HOF 5 years after retirement he would still be under contract to LA at that time. I believe the choice is his, unless the contract specifically addresses the issue, but his situation may make it difficult to pick St Louis. And, his wife for sure, and maybe he himself, are a little miffed at St Louis at the moment. Of course a lot can change in the next 14 years.

Jay Wolt 07-07-2012 11:00 AM

AL, I'm not sure, but I believe the player can not designate the team that his Hall Of Fame plaque shows.
Earlier they could, but I think I remember reading a few years ago that its not up to them.
Don't think it was Dave Winfield's call to go in as a Padre, but it makes the most sense.
If it was up to him, he might have chosen the Twins, Indians or Blue Jays

ALR-bishop 07-07-2012 03:03 PM

Hof

Jay--I did not realize that. Today with so few players spending their entire career in one place it comes up all the time. Do you know who decides and what criteria if any they are supposed to use ?

Personally I think if the player wins the right to enter the Hall, he should be able to do it any way he wants

cdn_collector 07-07-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1011637)
Jay--I did not realize that. Today with so few players spending their entire career in one place it comes up all the time. Do you know who decides and what criteria if any they are supposed to use ?

Personally I think if the player wins the right to enter the Hall, he should be able to do it any way he wants

Yeah, I have to agree with Jay. If memory serves, it was Andre Dawson last year who was unhappy about being enshrined with the Expos, saying that it was his preference to go in as a member of the Cubs.

And I think it's the hall that decides, but I don't know specifically who in the hall or what criteria they use.

Regards,

Richard.

ALR-bishop 07-12-2012 10:16 AM

Valuable Modern cards

Completed ebay listings show the sale of a PSA 7 1990 President Bush card for
$ 7000

ThoseBackPages 07-19-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1011637)

Wade Boggs ruin all that when he and the Devil Rays agreed to terms with the understanding that he'd go into the HOF as a Devil Ray

As for the Pujols BC RC, it's a tough call really

HRBAKER 07-21-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew H (Post 1010724)
You won't see examples of that until the time is right. The card is only 12 years old. How many youngsters have been worshiping him the last decade? How many of those kids will be wealthy 40 years from now? Does history repeat itself? Will these kids yearn for a rookie card of their idol when the time comes? Is 500 examples enough to go around?

Back in 2001 people were paying stoopid money for Albert and Ichiro RCs I thought they were nuts. This card has gone up, even nuttier. I think the only way this card fails is if he does something stupid... I think it will hold it's value.

I don't think that is a relevant comparison. Baseball and baseball players don't hold near the connection with the youth today that it did in the past.

7nohitter 07-26-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1016734)
I don't think that is a relevant comparison. Baseball and baseball players don't hold near the connection with the youth today that it did in the past.

Absolutely correct, Jeff. I gre up in the 80's/90's...I got tons of auto's at Fenway (Cecil Fielder, Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor, Jeff Frye, Kelly Gruber, Mo Vaughn, Mike Greenwell, Wade Boggs, and tons of others) but today is completely different.....

I sound like my father who often reminisced about the '60's ( he pitched in AAA for the Houston Colt .45's and Cleveland Indians).....GOD I FEEL OLD, and I'm only 36!!!!!