Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What to do with sloppy autographs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221154)

Rookiemonster 04-16-2016 06:14 PM

What to do with sloppy autographs

What do you do when you revived a autograph in person but it's sloppy ?

Scott Garner 04-16-2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1528444)

Play catch with your son. ;)

thetruthisoutthere 04-16-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

If you acquired it in-person, there's no doubt that it's authentic and a nice memory of the meeting and subsequent signing for you.

Rookiemonster 04-16-2016 06:49 PM

Well I do play baseball with my son often. But I got this auto when I was young and my memory is being let down when I found out it looked sloppy ( different ) . It's a jerry rice autographed rookie. I remember buying the card cheap because it was rough. I got the card only to get it signed. Planning an waiting to go. Going and being bummed.

When I was a kid I took it to a card show as trade bait. And one of the sellers was like did you just sign that in your basement. Womp womp

Scott Garner 04-16-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1528461)
Well I do play baseball with my son often. But I got this auto when I was young and my memory is being let down when I found out it looked sloppy ( different ) . It's a jerry rice autographed rookie. I remember buying the card cheap because it was rough. I got the card only to get it signed. Planning an waiting to go. Going and being bummed.

When I was a kid I took it to a card show as trade bait. And one of the sellers was like did you just sign that in your basement. Womp womp

Well, if it's Jerry Rice, enjoy it for what it is! I was just messing with you.
BTW, Jerry Rice was my favorite receiver of all time. ;)

chaddurbin 04-16-2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1528449)
If you acquired it in-person, there's no doubt that it's authentic and a nice memory of the meeting and subsequent signing for you.

pretty much this!

Dewey 04-17-2016 02:34 PM

Well that beats my non signature when I saw Dale Murphy in a San Diego hotel lobby. I was 10. Baseball in hand. Staying where Braves were. "Hello Mr. Murphy, can you..." he just kept walking. Maybe it was my Dodgers hat. I hate the Braves to this day. :)

pclpads 04-17-2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey (Post 1528771)
Well that beats my non signature when I saw Dale Murphy in a San Diego hotel lobby. I was 10. Baseball in hand. Staying where Braves were. "Hello Mr. Murphy, can you..." he just kept walking. Maybe it was my Dodgers hat. I hate the Braves to this day. :)

Damn! your exp. kicks the $hit out of the prevailing image of Murphy as a good guy, goody two-shoes. As for the lousy sig on a ball, give it to the neighborhood kids to play with, preferably in the street. :D

RTK 04-17-2016 03:08 PM

Quote:

On something flat, I'd possible frame and mat it with a ticket stub, card or photo, the player would be identified. I have a number of such presentations. On a baseball, I mount them with a player card.

Exhibitman 04-17-2016 03:46 PM

Nothing you can do except enjoy it until you die or throw it away. My IP Lennox Lewis is a mess; he signed after training on the move wearing hand wraps.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...size/Lewis.jpg

Dewey 04-17-2016 06:40 PM

I'm sure he's a cool dude. Darn good ballplayer too. He and Chambliss were walking to team bus. About a month after the snub I went to Dodgers vs. Braves for my bday. Dodgers lost. :mad: I'm bitter. Haha.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1528778)
Damn! your exp. kicks the $hit out of the prevailing image of Murphy as a good guy, goody two-shoes. As for the lousy sig on a ball, give it to the neighborhood kids to play with, preferably in the street. :D

sbfinley 04-17-2016 08:26 PM

Jim Rice signed this after renting a nondescript VHS from a janky rental place just outside Seattle, maybe 14 years ago. He carried on about "the girl climbing out of the well" and insisted I had to watch this movie... then.. there... in front of him. My date wanted to see Gladiator, however, so we left with that.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8756/...ca429a1d_c.jpg

Dewey 04-17-2016 10:40 PM

The movie is The Ring. Spooky flick and the only ring Rice got. :D That thing is a mess!

Rookiemonster 04-18-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbfinley (Post 1528911)
Jim Rice signed this after renting a nondescript VHS from a janky rental place just outside Seattle, maybe 14 years ago. He carried on about "the girl climbing out of the well" and insisted I had to watch this movie... then.. there... in front of him. My date wanted to see Gladiator, however, so we left with that.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8756/...ca429a1d_c.jpg

You got it authenticated thought. What's with people named rice not signing well. I like that this thread turned in to show and tell for messed up autographs.

Thanks for all the ideas ! When I get a chance I'll post my rice.

GasHouseGang 04-20-2016 10:12 AM

The worse autograph I've gotten was from Don Sutton. I handed him his rookie card (before his hair covered his prominent ears), and he said "I always hated this card!" And signed boldly directly across his face. Ruined my opinion of Don, and my card. Why would any player think you want them to sign across their face?:confused:

egri 04-20-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1529718)
The worse autograph I've gotten was from Don Sutton. I handed him his rookie card (before his hair covered his prominent ears), and he said "I always hated this card!" And signed boldly directly across his face. Ruined my opinion of Don, and my card. Why would any player think you want them to sign across their face?:confused:

It might have just been the design of the card, especially since this was in person (so maybe more rushed than if he had been at his home responding to TTM requests). A lot of the guys in my project signed across their faces because the cards had portrait shots so it was either sign across their face or sign on top of the text.

Rookiemonster 04-22-2016 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the culprit

Rookiemonster 04-22-2016 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found these on eBay authenticated

Rookiemonster 04-22-2016 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another one

Rookiemonster 04-22-2016 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more for good measure

Rookiemonster 04-22-2016 06:54 PM

Carb over with all this rice . I found this on psa. Please share what you think. During the late 1980s, a friendly and accommodating Jerry Rice signed often for his fans. He penned a simple "Jerry Rice #80" most of the time. During Rice's early years, he would typically stack his signature with "Jerry" above "Rice." Later, Rice stretched his signature across an entire item and added his jersey number.

Dewey 04-25-2016 12:52 PM

Compared to the Jim Rice, your Jerry looks good. I don't consider that sloppy.

Rookiemonster 04-26-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey (Post 1531667)
Compared to the Jim Rice, your Jerry looks good. I don't consider that sloppy.

Thanks for the kind words hahaa .