Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Do you care much about today's NFL? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248994)

cfhofer 12-18-2017 09:36 AM

Great topic!

Yes, the current state of the NFL had a direct effect on my football collecting. For the last several years I have exclusively collected 19th century Ivy League football memorabilia. As many know, American Football began on those exclusive college campuses. The vast majority of student athletes played the game back then just to represent their alma mater. A robust and brawny body became an important part of the masculine ideal then and football exemplified this trait. The best athletes were also honorable men, who went on to become soldiers, doctors, lawyers, clergymen, congressmen and even President of the United States. These are the athletes worthy of my recognition and collecting focus. Football players today have nothing in common with those early pioneers.

kvnkvnkvn 12-18-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1730519)
Every single player that kneels during the National Anthem should have been permanently banned immediately. Let them get a job where they have to use their intelligence.

Although, I used Leon's quote to start this off, this ain't directed at him. This for everyone's mind. hahah

The National Anthem shouldn't even be played at sporting events. The U.S. flag represents the death of millions of people at the expense of each of our hands. The anthem itself is about death and destruction.

The military pays the NFL to pump all that patriotic bullshit down the drones watching. Human drones, not the drones we as a country send to kill innocent families.

Blind patriotism is conditioned through television screens all over this country and it is disgusting...It is sickening...

If you still think wars are fought for freedom, think again...Oil, resources, drugs, power, and money. Those are the primary factors for war.

Do you think it is a coincidence that we are stuck in Afghanistan? Look how much opium is over there, now look at the opium epidemic throughout our country. Hmmm...

Look back on how the U.S. trained Bin Laden, now look how many times these radical groups have somehow got U.S. weapons. That seems to be a cycle...

We give a shitload of money to Israel and do you know what is really going on over there? Palestinian people aren't being treated very nicely. Look into how much natural gas is over in that region. Hmmm...

Damn, I didn't think I was going to piss you guys off till later tonight, when I posted a link to my new website that throws a nice shot at this forum. All in good fun of course. hahahahahahahhahah

jefferyepayne 12-18-2017 02:55 PM

Well, I think this thread has officially gone off the rails. Understand all points of view but would suggest we keep away from the politics and focus on leatherheads!

jeff

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-18-2017 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1730620)
Well, I think this thread has officially gone off the rails. Understand all points of view but would suggest we keep away from the politics and focus on leatherheads!

jeff

Jeff, I agree. I indicated my wish for this not to happen in my original post. This is my happy place, let's not muck it up! :)

So, to take this thread back to its original intent, it looks like the general consensus is that most football card/memorabilia collectors do not take today's NFL much into account as they collect. This is what I suspected, but it has been insightful reading the responses thus far. The history of the game and basic love of collecting it are paramount. For me, it is as simple as loving to reminisce about old players, old uniforms, and the old stadiums in the background of the cards. As I have mentioned in past threads, 60s football satisfies my completionist gene, as those sets are pretty attainable for me. It must have been an exciting era! Someday, I will probably work on some 50s sets. Either way, my feelings toward what happens in today's NFL doesn't effect my football collecting. I guess if anything, it makes me draw closer to the old stuff. Jeff, I am not in the leather helmet era yet, but maybe someday!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hot Springs Bathers 12-18-2017 05:27 PM

Robert it is a great thread and I think a lot of us think about this stuff all the time. I thought about abandoning football collecting but I took a step back and enjoy the teams of my youth which was much earlier than yours and keep going.

I still love the college game a bit more than the NFL even in a collecting sense because in the 50's and the 60's the Razorbacks seemed more real to me than the Packers and were in our papers each day. By 1962 I had discovered the NFL and AFL. My first pro game was the Chargers and the Oilers in Little Rock in 1964.

As far as what goes on today, I believe the college game is just as messy as the NFL. I've often said if you don't think your school is cheating think again.

Collecting is for fun and while engaging some people (person) on this forum might seem appropriate, ignoring them and their project seems more appropriate. Hope to see you again soon.

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-18-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers (Post 1730664)
Robert it is a great thread and I think a lot of us think about this stuff all the time. I thought about abandoning football collecting but I took a step back and enjoy the teams of my youth which was much earlier than yours and keep going.

I still love the college game a bit more than the NFL even in a collecting sense because in the 50's and the 60's the Razorbacks seemed more real to me than the Packers and were in our papers each day. By 1962 I had discovered the NFL and AFL. My first pro game was the Chargers and the Oilers in Little Rock in 1964.

As far as what goes on today, I believe the college game is just as messy as the NFL. I've often said if you don't think your school is cheating think again.

Collecting is for fun and while engaging some people (person) on this forum might seem appropriate, ignoring them and their project seems more appropriate. Hope to see you again soon.

I agree with you on many levels! Woo Pig Sooie!

kvnkvnkvn 12-18-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers (Post 1730664)
Collecting is for fun and while engaging some people (person) on this forum might seem appropriate, ignoring them and their project seems more appropriate.

1. Addressing me is not ignoring (me). I don't give a shit if you look at my site or not...

2. I am sure nobody wants to engage in a thought provoking discussion on how we could actually change something...Most of you probably watch the drive by media and actually think you are informed.

Keep supporting a murder flag...Blind patriotism is leading to our country being stolen right from under us...

Keep being ultra petty and getting bent out of shape for any little thing. It is comical to me...

Guess this dude lives by the quote... hahahahaha

jefferyepayne 12-18-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1730673)
I agree with you on many levels! Woo Pig Sooie!

Did you guys watch the A Football Life on Jerry Jones? Thought it was well done and interesting to see the ebbs and flows of his relationship with fellow Razorback Jimmy Johnson.

jeff

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-18-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1730698)
Did you guys watch the A Football Life on Jerry Jones? Thought it was well done and interesting to see the ebbs and flows of his relationship with fellow Razorback Jimmy Johnson.

jeff

Jeff,

No, I haven't seen that one. Must be about the only one I haven't watched. The definition of a level 5 leader is being someone who doesn't care who gets the credit. Jerry missed that part.

jefferyepayne 12-18-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1730700)
Jeff,

No, I haven't seen that one. Must be about the only one I haven't watched. The definition of a level 5 leader is being someone who doesn't care who gets the credit. Jerry missed that part.

He atones for it in the episode and admits he screwed up.

jeff