Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Memory Lane Mantles (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242811)

darwinbulldog 07-25-2017 11:35 AM

Memory Lane Mantles

I just looked at the '52 Topps Mantles in the Memory Lane auction preview. Anybody else think the SGC 5 might go for more than the PSA 7?

irv 07-25-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1684086)
I just looked at the '52 Topps Mantles in the Memory Lane auction preview. Anybody else think the SGC 5 might go for more than the PSA 7?

If it doesn't, it should be very close, imo.

I prefer the SGC copy but usually the PSA ones win out, sadly.

rats60 07-25-2017 03:09 PM

I am not sure why. The SGC has better color, but is badly off centered with wear on all 4 corners. I would be surprised in the SGC copy goes for more than the average for grade. Does centering no longer count? I would expect the PSA to go for less than the average 7, but still more than the SGC.

Peter_Spaeth 07-25-2017 03:26 PM

I hate descriptions like this, what is the point? It reads to me like a parody of a description.

The breathtaking eye appeal is synonymous with Mantle's magnificent legacy, starting with the classic bat over shoulder pose portraying a strong aqua-marine blue background. You can virtually feel Mickey's curious nature as he gazes into the future with a youthful innocence that would eventually lead to his immortal Yankee standing. Immaculate resolution, sparkling facial hues, a glistening obverse side surface, white borders, a clean verso. This one looks better than the offered grade.

PS I would be shocked if the 7 did not go for quite a bit more than the 5.

JollyElm 07-25-2017 03:36 PM

That description looks like someone threw up a thesaurus.

irv 07-25-2017 03:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are likely too small but I thought I'd try, for comparison sake.

Each have their plus's. The PSA 7 is the double printed copy while the SGC is it's first, if that makes a difference?

Centering on both is off but the PSA copy is more consistent top to bottom on the right border.

The PSA copy has more scuff marks but the colors do look bolder (Scanner?)

Roll the dice I suppose?

pokerplyr80 07-25-2017 04:22 PM

There is no chance the sgc 5 goes for more than the psa 7. I would be shocked if it went for half as much. A nice dead centered 5 could bring close to what that 7 will though.

irv 07-25-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1684176)
There is no chance the sgc 5 goes for more than the psa 7. I would be shocked if it went for half as much. A nice dead centered 5 could bring close to what that 7 will though.

After having another look after posting the pics up, I'd say the PSA copy will most likely win out now as well.

I like the colors better and the centering. PSA usually wins out with equally graded SGC's and I think if the SGC 5 was somehow another PSA 7, it would come in second.

ullmandds 07-25-2017 07:15 PM

I prefer the sgc...if I had to pick. I like the background blue color better on the first run too.

Peter_Spaeth 07-25-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1684219)
I prefer the sgc...if I had to pick. I like the background blue color better on the first run too.

And why should we care about your opinion?:D

irv 07-25-2017 07:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Mine is a first run card yet it looks more like the second run PSA copy than it does the first run SGC copy.
It could be the scans, I am not sure, but it does have me wondering? :confused:

darwinbulldog 07-26-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1684222)
And why should we care about your opinion?:D

To me it looks like (to borrow the BGS criteria) the SGC card has better centering, edges, and surfaces, while the corners are about the same (SGC slightly better on the top, and PSA slightly better on the bottom).

Peter_Spaeth 07-26-2017 09:06 AM

The color on the PSA looks normal to me, the color on the SGC looks strange. Do they really vary that much?

irv 07-26-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1684308)
The color on the PSA looks normal to me, the color on the SGC looks strange. Do they really vary that much?

Same.

I couldn't think of a better scan that shows a multiple of Mantle cards than this PSA one.

Note, both print runs are shown from 10 gem mint down and the only one that looks anything like (imo) to the SGC copy is the Fair 1.5.

Maybe the blue tint/hue card is a variation? :D
https://www.psacard.com/resources/gr...andards/#cards

Peter_Spaeth 07-26-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

As far as I know variations A and B do not have different background colors.

rats60 07-26-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1684302)
To me it looks like (to borrow the BGS criteria) the SGC card has better centering, edges, and surfaces, while the corners are about the same (SGC slightly better on the top, and PSA slightly better on the bottom).

I don't know what you are seeing. SGC is slightly better centered, though badly off centered, but tilted. I would give them equivalent centering, the SGC better surface, though some here disagree with me. The PSA has better edges and much better corners. The PSA has sharp corners with a slight touch on lower right. The SGC has wear on all 4 and slight rounding on upper right and lower right.

GasHouseGang 07-26-2017 10:17 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Yeah, I guess, based on these scans.

Peter_Spaeth 07-26-2017 10:20 AM

Of those all but the 86 seem to me to at least be in the same neighborhood and scan differences could account for it. They all look the slightest bit blue/green to me and with a more vibrant facial color.

GasHouseGang 07-26-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1684328)
Of those all but the 86 seem to me to at least be in the same neighborhood and scan differences could account for it. They all look the slightest bit blue/green to me and with a more vibrant facial color.

I agree with you. I think the scanner settings could have a lot to do with the apparent difference. It could also be the way the cards are stored over the years or different print runs. The PSA 7 of the original two cards discussed has a particularly dark blue/green background.

irv 07-26-2017 10:53 AM

It's SGC ones look off to me so maybe it's the type of plastic they use in their holders? I know it's a stretch but maybe they scan different or something like that?
In hand, my Mantle is more green than anything, and being bluish, like the SGC copies, never even crossed my mind.

darwinbulldog 07-26-2017 12:21 PM

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-...earch-suggests

Peter_Spaeth 07-26-2017 01:59 PM

"And what we said of it became a part of what it was." Wallace Stevens

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-26-2017 02:16 PM

Not a 52 Mantle expert (because, well, why bother!) but on card with PSA Cert 02108511 what is up with the border around his name. I used to do newspaper layout by hand in highschool and I'd've gotten canned if I couldn't tool any straighter than that! Is that considered a variation, it's the only one I see like that, and obviously is NOT just a print issue.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-26-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1684371)
"And what we said of it became a part of what it was." Wallace Stevens

sort of the poetic equivalent of schroedinger's cat.

ALR-bishop 07-26-2017 02:40 PM

The card was a DP and the wavy line....and truncated e in the auto are traits of one version. On the back of that version the stitches on the ball run to the left. On the other version to the right. The Robinson and Thompson cards, the other DPs in the high series have the same back differences and minor front differences as well. The SCD Standard catalog used to list all 3 as variations ...at least through 2014,

The two different Mantles should exist in fairly equal numbers. It was when SCD listed them as variations I felt compelled to go out and get the second versions :(

Peter_Spaeth 07-26-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1684377)
Not a 52 Mantle expert (because, well, why bother!) but on card with PSA Cert 02108511 what is up with the border around his name. I used to do newspaper layout by hand in highschool and I'd've gotten canned if I couldn't tool any straighter than that! Is that considered a variation, it's the only one I see like that, and obviously is NOT just a print issue.

Stars are wavy on the version without a full box around the team logo. Also note the missing pixel (white dot) along the left border towards the top. And on the others note the missing pixel in the lower left corner of the black border.

irv 07-26-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1684377)

This link explains it and also details what to look out for in a counterfeit copy.
http://bbcemporium.com/1952-topps-mi...terfeit-guide/

Lots of counterfeits exist, as you likely know, but the one that sticks out to me the most was the one that had a first version front but a 2nd version back, or maybe it was the other way around?

rats60 07-28-2017 07:15 AM

Quote:

After seeing the SGC at the National, the color is normal. The difference is a lighting issue from the picture.