Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Getting started....again (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=154888)

zak 08-05-2012 02:03 PM

Getting started....again

(Sorry I posted this before but in wrong forum... I am new to this site...)

Been out of collecting for 14 yrs, just started to get back into it and....WOW times have changed......PRICES have changed. Anyways. I joined this forum to get caught up and it is has been great.

So if you had $1,0000 sitting around, what box or case would you buy? (looking for a big score on a pricey card that may be out there)

novakjr 08-05-2012 05:26 PM

zak. Honestly, If I had 1,000 sitting around, I'd be more inclined to put it into vintage...Or investing in up and comers.. But to each their own. Hopefully, someone here can give some answers about newer product..

and BTW. Welcome back to the hobby...

zak 08-05-2012 07:29 PM

thanks novakjr, any advice is helpful. By vintage you mean older cards 50, 60's?

iggyman 08-05-2012 08:03 PM

Hello Zak,

I really can't answer your question, but at the end of the day, you have to collect what you like. So if you enjoy modern tiddlywinks, then you collect modern tiddlywinks. It's not about the score or the big payoff at the end of the rainbow, if that is what you're after, well then I would invest my time in learning the stock market. It's really as simple as that. For the record, most folks on these board would not consider 50's & 60's cards vintage (you will have to at least go back a few more decades). Good luck in your endeavour!

Lovely Day...

zak 08-05-2012 08:25 PM

understand iggyman, any help is great and that is what you provided, thanks again

jhyde77 08-05-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zak (Post 1022570)
(Sorry I posted this before but in wrong forum... I am new to this site...)

Been out of collecting for 14 yrs, just started to get back into it and....WOW times have changed......PRICES have changed. Anyways. I joined this forum to get caught up and it is has been great.

So if you had $1,0000 sitting around, what box or case would you buy? (looking for a big score on a pricey card that may be out there)

If I had to pick, I would choose 2010 Bowman Platinum for the Trouts and Strasburgs. I wouldn't expect to get my money back, but I think it would be a fun break.

evensen_dashagua 10-03-2012 07:36 AM

I'd go for one of the Topps Heritage sets. Either that, or 2007 Upper Deck Goudey -- my favorite set of its kind.

Actually, I've got some '07 UD Goudey packs sitting around in a box somewhere, unopened. Never got around to them.

Sierra79 10-03-2012 05:03 PM

Depends really what you like. For me I enjoy collecting cello and wax packs, proofs, and stuff from the 80's and early 90's when I was a kid. I would never really recommend collecting for the sake of investment, as that bubble has come and gone (but who knows?). You should collect what you like and what interest you. If breaking boxes is your thing then the good news is there is plenty of product to choose from. Usually you will get what you pay for, but you usually never get your money back...if that makes any sense. Look up cards infinity on youtube and look at some of their box breaks in order to get an idea for what you can get for various products.:)