Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   C55 / C56 Hockey (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244761)

jasonc 09-10-2017 08:04 AM

C55 / C56 Hockey

Out of these two sets, which would you recommend? It seems like the star power is slightly better with the 11-12 C55 (Vezina RC, Malone etc.) plus from the research I've found, they are a little easier to find than the 10-11 C56's.

However, I do like the looks of the 10-11 C56's, kind of reminds me of T206's, appearance wise. Anybody collect one of these sets/ or both?, what do you think of them?

Seems like interesting cards to collect (If you're into Hockey, of course)

I was venturing into some low grade Post war hockey 50's Parkhurst, Topps etc., but the C55/C56 cards have really grabbed my attention.

jb217676 09-10-2017 08:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Can't go wrong with either set. Keep in mind if you're going for the C55 set you'll need the Vezina RC and that goes for big dollars!

samosa4u 09-10-2017 02:48 PM

I've been collecting hockey cards nearly my whole life. :cool:

There are two things that just bother me about the C55 set:

1) They were drawn up by an artist and appear too cartoonish for me.

2) If you collect rookies, then it is not that big of a set. The Vezina RC is probably the biggest reason why a lot of collectors get drawn to these cards. The Malone RC is the other big one, but the sad part is a majority of hockey fans don't even know who he was! It's an undervalued card, IMO.

Now the C56 set is one of my favorites. It is the first hockey set ever issued and is loaded with rookies of HOFer's, such as Cyclone Taylor, Art Ross (2x), Newsy Lalonde, Patrick brothers and more. Yes, they are more difficult to track down, especially in higher grade, but that is what separates them from the C55 cards. Furthermore, I think they have far better eye-appeal.

Stampsfan 09-15-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1699748)
I've been collecting hockey cards nearly my whole life. :cool:
The Malone RC is the other big one, but the sad part is a majority of hockey fans don't even know who he was! It's an undervalued card, IMO.

OMG I laughed when I read this. I have several friends who are "big hockey fans" out here in Western Canada. Several I play with in a semi-competitive league. They follow the Flames, Oilers, Canucks, whoever. Some have season tickets to the Flames here (like myself).

Now I laughed with your Joe Malone reference. About a week ago I mentioned grabbing a Joe Malone card to one friend in particular (who kinda knows everything). He said "I never heard of him". Another guy I play with, I mentioned in the dressing room that I picked up an Art Ross card. He also said "Who is that?". I said "There's a trophy named after him", where the rest of the guys chuckled.

Finally I went up to Edmonton to last year for a card show. The night I got there, I had beers with a buddy who has Oilers seasons tickets. He is 38 years old, and "loves hockey". I told him I was "gonna snag a Bernie Parent autograph tomorrow." He said "Who's that?"

I find it just sad that people who are "hard core fans" have never done any reading of hockey (or baseball, football) history, and have no idea who some of the greats are.

g_vezina_c55 11-02-2017 12:34 PM

I also collect simce 1990. I always be more interested bu c55 because georges vezina is
Born and buried in my city. But with the years of collecting my attention moved also to c56. A lot of rc amd so hard to find in high grade.

Here in canada almost everyone dont know about prewar p'ayers hofer.

enuffsenuff 11-03-2017 02:32 PM

Either or

I find both sets very attractive. I have been acquiring any cards from both sets for the past 15 years or so in the UK. To date I have 11 C55 and 2 C56. The two 56 cards are Lester Patrick and the other is no 36 Lalonde. I also have gone for the hockey players in the itc lacrosse set. In doing so I have ended up with approx 120 lacrosse cards from the 3 itc sets.

If I was pushed it would be the C56 but only by a thin margin. Which ever you choose I am sure you will enjoy the chase

zipper_x 11-29-2017 09:17 AM

First post here... :-)

I own both set, the C55 and C56... I prefer a lot more the C55 because of the work that was put in it and bright colors... From what I know, it seem that the C55 should had been the first set but it took so much time to design and create the printing stone that Imperial tobacco had to put together the C56 set quickly to meet some the distribution dateline. You can see the difference in the quality of the work...

BTW I have full c56 set to sale on Ebay right now... :-)

Regards
Francis

jasonc 12-01-2017 01:57 AM

Welcome Francis!

Yes, it seems like I'm really leaning towards the C55; have about 10 of them so far (all commons.) I have them in a 15 pocket tobacco page, and they really look good grouped together.

zipper_x 12-01-2017 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jason,

Yes they look together ... Here picture of set... 50% have been since I took it...

Attachment 297003