Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   HOF Pop Report: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234287)

clydepepper 01-22-2017 10:21 PM

HOF Pop Report:

There are now 246 men who played MLB ( even briefly ) who have a plaque in Cooperstown. This includes Managers and Executives who played at least one Major League Game.

On October 2, 2016, Spencer Kieboom (great name) pinch-hit for the Washington Nationals, walked and scored.

Mr. Kieboom was the last debuting player this past season, being the 18,910th player ever in MLB.

Now, while some of the aforementioned 246 HOFers played well before 1900 and may not be considered MLB players by some folks, it gave me the other part of my primitive arithmetic equation.

246 out of 18,910 = 1.301 % of all the players who have played even one Major League game, eventually earn a plaque in Cooperstown.

Fun Stuff!

dgo71 01-23-2017 01:11 AM

Seems like a pretty exclusive club to me.

KCRfan1 01-23-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 1623290)
Seems like a pretty exclusive club to me.

+1

Not much of an argument when some complain that Cooperstown is getting watered down....

bravos4evr 01-23-2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1623471)
+1

Not much of an argument when some complain that Cooperstown is getting watered down....

welllll.... that's sort of misleading tho isn't it? I don't think it's accurate to compare every person who had a single at bat with the HOF. What would the numbers look like if you limited to all players who were eligible for the HOF? (10 years of major league service) Because all players under that cutoff ALWAYS had a 0% chance of getting in barring some sort of mad career that ended in death or injury.(and was given a waiver by the HOF)

frankbmd 01-23-2017 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1623497)
welllll.... that's sort of misleading tho isn't it? I don't think it's accurate to compare every person who had a single at bat with the HOF. What would the numbers look like if you limited to all players who were eligible for the HOF? (10 years of major league service) Because all players under that cutoff ALWAYS had a 0% chance of getting in barring some sort of mad career that ended in death or injury.(and was given a waiver by the HOF)

Mr. Kieboom has a higher OBP than all current HOFers. He never strike outs and scores every time he gets on base. To disqualify him from HOF consideration now seems a bit premature.

clydepepper 01-23-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1623497)

Well, at least I found a way to include Moonlight Graham.

...but the odds that any MLB player would be portrayed by Burt Lancaster are only half as long. (2 of 18,910)

Topps206 01-24-2017 02:17 PM

It is exclusive, as it should be. Nonetheless, there are mistakes in Cooperstown coupled with criminal omissions.