Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lucky Seven plus One (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252513)

Steve D 03-14-2018 12:16 PM

Lucky Seven plus One

Looks like the Lucky Seven Find has an addition:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...-valued-250000

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...6-ty-cobb-card

Steve

A2000 03-14-2018 12:58 PM

They should change the pedigree from 'Lucky 7 find' to 'The Magnificent Eight.' :o

iowadoc77 03-14-2018 01:12 PM

Funniest part of the article is that the card arrived earlier this week and already has a grade... just thought I’d put that out there.

ullmandds 03-14-2018 01:21 PM

A-mazing...its becoming pretty common in the grand scheme of pre wwI cards! I hate the way they call it a “set” in the write up...how are 7 or now 8 of these a set?????

nat 03-14-2018 01:52 PM

The PSA article includes it in the T206 set (so does the flip). I guess these go on the registry now? Should Frank take Monster numbers up above 1000?

Steve D 03-14-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nat (Post 1757481)
The PSA article includes it in the T206 set (so does the flip). I guess these go on the registry now? Should Frank take Monster numbers up above 1000?

This has been argued ad infinitum. Personally, I believe the Cobb back was probably issued in or along with the Ty Cobb tobacco tin, as opposed to in cigarette packs. It therefore, IMHO, does not belong in the T206 set.

Steve

bnorth 03-14-2018 03:04 PM

I have to take down my great grandfathers old house this year. I hope to make a similar find.:)

insidethewrapper 03-14-2018 05:26 PM

How could 1 person have 8 of these ? Couldn't possibly been in packs ? Are these the only cards they found ?

sb1 03-14-2018 05:43 PM

Why not? People are/were very loyal to brands, they only drink one kind of pop/beer and smoke only one kind of cigarette and only drive one brand of car, that's how they were back then and even today. While the Cobb promotion may have been short lived and maybe even regional, a person who had no idea that 100 years later they would be valuable, kept them.

Having gone thru many estates you might be surprised what people kept or hoarded. Of course not much of it turned out to be valuable, but some always does.

nat 03-14-2018 08:48 PM

I know how much it's been debated, I'm just noting that PSA has made up their mind on which side of the debate they fall. The T206 registry does indeed include the Cobb/Cobb.

ullmandds 03-14-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nat (Post 1757616)
I know how much it's been debated, I'm just noting that PSA has made up their mind on which side of the debate they fall. The T206 registry does indeed include the Cobb/Cobb.

Their decision has nothing to do with the truth...it's all about the benjamins.

Jason 03-14-2018 08:57 PM

Pretty cool that they will keep the last one in the family. Great decision.

iowadoc77 03-14-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1757621)
Pretty cool that they will keep the last one in the family. Great decision.

Until they get an offer they can’t refuse...

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-14-2018 09:54 PM

until they "find" the next one

basesareempty 03-15-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1757639)
until they "find" the next one

I hope they have a stack of them. Very smart how they have marketed them. Reveal 7(now 8) and create a buzz in the hobby about the find and just enough cards to quickly get absorbed by deep pocketed collectors. Then trickle out a few here and there to keep prices high. They have no obligation to anyone to make public how many they actually have. The Black Swamp Find was handled all wrong from the stand point of maximizing profits.

Leon 03-15-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basesareempty (Post 1757692)
I hope they have a stack of them. Very smart how they have marketed them. Reveal 7(now 8) and create a buzz in the hobby about the find and just enough cards to quickly get absorbed by deep pocketed collectors. Then trickle out a few here and there to keep prices high. They have no obligation to anyone to make public how many they actually have. The Black Swamp Find was handled all wrong from the stand point of maximizing profits.

The Black Swamp find family wasn't most concerned about profits. They didn't want to hurt the hobby, or any collectors, by doling them out over time. They were transparent in the process. If this Lucky 7 family has a stack in the back room then the game changes a little bit. I remember buying a pretty rare Red Cross back at one time. Eventually it wan't as rare as it was when I acquired it. I doubt many more Cobb backs come out but stranger things have happened.

barrysloate 03-15-2018 09:34 AM

I for one believe this one was part of the original find, and the family held it back. It doesn't make sense that they would find another one in a different part of the house. So is this the last one, or are they sitting on a stack of them? Time will tell.

ullmandds 03-15-2018 09:49 AM

it'd be great if they had hundreds of them stashed in that house...then more of us could own one!

JeffPrice 03-15-2018 11:13 AM

I feel this find has been great for the awareness of how mysterious this card actually is. Even if a "few" more are found it won't bring prices down, if anything they should rise with the newly created publicity.

53Browns 03-15-2018 11:43 AM

I'd be dissecting Grandpa's house nail by nail.

Section103 03-15-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1757711)
it'd be great if they had hundreds of them stashed in that house...then more of us could own one!

Im hoping they have a million. ;)

Ronnie73 03-15-2018 11:42 PM

As far as the PSA Registry, the Ty Cobb Backed card has been a part of the Master Set requirements for a very long time. Way way before the Lucky Seven find. It's not as if PSA is saying a 524 card complete set is now one card short and a complete set is now 525 cards.

As far as how the eighth card was found, I personally think it's great for the hobby. Very rarely does our hobby make any type of local or national news. Many people are not even aware that the hobby still exists.

If more are found, (less than 25) I don't think it will hurt the market value. It may take a slight dip for a bit but will level out once the new finds are purchased and added to collections.

Now for the topic of, is it a T206 card. The simple answer, does it matter? If you want it to be, make it part of your set goals, if not, no worries. Same goes for the Coupon Type 1's, Victory Type 1's, and Pirate cards. If you want it to be, then make it part of your set goal. It's funny how some say these are not T206 cards but then display their T206 player run and have Coupon and Victory's added to their T206 run. The simple point is, it's your set, you get to decide how to uniquely collect it. It's a great thing.

Happy collecting everyone!!!