Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anybody seen Lone Survivor yet? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181507)

vintagetoppsguy 01-11-2014 09:48 PM

Anybody seen Lone Survivor yet?

What an awesome movie, one of the best I've ever seen. The entire theater applauded at the end.

Thank God for our service men and women!

vintagetoppsguy 01-13-2014 06:51 AM

I heard on the radio this morning that it was the number one movie this weekend at the box office. I'm the only Net54er to see it?

Cardboard Junkie 01-13-2014 09:49 AM

I saw it.....at least the first half....didn't like what I saw, and had no interest in watching the whole movie. Well I guess that's what makes the world go round..one mans trash is anothers treasure. Strange cause I like Marky Mark as an actor too. Huckabees and the departed. etc etc....he is one of my favorite actors....just didn't like "Lone Survivor" at all.

thedutymon 01-13-2014 04:54 PM

And Read the Book !!

Afternoon,

Saw the Movie with my teenage son yesterday...Awesome movie! Only quibble is the last 10 minutes or so was not accurate, was hollywooded up for effect...real ending was just as dramatic and would have ended story with context and historical accuracy that would have taken some better explaining than the paragraph about the pushtin custom. As usual Hollywood assumes were too stupid to be explained the whole story!!

Anyway Great Movie and thanks for all who have served!!!

Neil

RichardSimon 01-14-2014 04:45 PM

I have seen it.
Terrific movie, I recommend it to all.

teetwoohsix 01-17-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1227228)
I saw it.....at least the first half....didn't like what I saw, and had no interest in watching the whole movie. Well I guess that's what makes the world go round..one mans trash is anothers treasure. Strange cause I like Marky Mark as an actor too. Huckabees and the departed. etc etc....he is one of my favorite actors....just didn't like "Lone Survivor" at all.

Don't feel bad, I felt that way when I watched "Zero Dark Thirty". That movie didn't do it for me, for many reasons I won't get into- except for one- I may be alone on this, but it disturbs me when they keep saying "the homeland".....it reminds me of someone else who referred to his country as "the homeland" during WW2.......

As far as Lone Survivor, haven't seen it yet but I do plan to. And, I also have the utmost respect for anyone willing to fight for our Country.

Sincerely, Clayton

Cardboard Junkie 01-20-2014 02:39 PM

Interesting review.....http://news.yahoo.com/myth-reality-l...-politics.html

itjclarke 01-27-2014 10:05 PM

Just saw it and was very disappointed by the final third of the movie. I haven't read his book, but know enough about his story/60 Minutes interview/etc, to know the end was total Hollywood BS. I then read the review posted by David and now see there were many more flaws earlier in the film.

A movie will never fully re-create an event, but when it attempts to tell the very recent real life story of this group of men, and sells itself as such, it should maintain a much higher level of accuracy (otherwise, just make a fictionalization based loosely on real events). The real life story is very compelling too.. why not tell that version?? No idea why they needed to take it overboard, but as was the case with a movie like Argo where they needed to add a car chasing a plane (after what had been a very good movie!!!), Hollywood thinks audiences need a lame and formulaic action sequence as a climax... almost insulting.

That said, I have full respect and appreciation for all who've served, including my father.

vintagetoppsguy 01-27-2014 10:34 PM

The main character (Marcus Luttrell) is from here in Houston and did several morning radio show interviews the week before and during the premier. One of the questions the DJs asked him was how accurate the story was based on the real life accounts. He said they were identical. Now, I did not hear this, my wife told me about it ass she heard it on the radio (on multiple stations), but I don't think she would make that up. I do know (and did hear) that Donnie Wahlberg was insistent on getting everything in the movie to as close at it was in real life.

For those that say the movie didn't follow the actual story, please specify what part and what is your source of information?

itjclarke 01-27-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1233285)
For those that say the movie didn't follow the actual story, please specify what part and what is your source of information?

There was absolutely no gun battle in the village at the end. Don't want to spoil it, but most of those dramatic action elements shown at the movie's end did not happen. He was aided by a local and taken to a village. The enemy fighters did find him in the village, but the villagers were able to protect him and send them away without any violence. When the Army Rangers arrived several days later, there was no fight. They were able to sit down and have tea with the villagers.. no Apaches firing away at Taliban fighters, no defibrillators, etc. The link in David's post explains more... and Luttrell's book details (differences) even further.

I know Luttrell was very involved in the film's making, but suspect that was mainly from a technical and character standpoint... and maybe less relating to how the studio would tell the overall story. Who knows, maybe even the director (Peter Berg) wanted to tell it straight, but regardless, someone very Hollywood hijacked the end.

sycks22 01-29-2014 08:44 AM

Saw it a couple days ago, great movie. It really puts you in their shoes of what you'd do in those situations. Thanks to all of those who serve and keep our country safe.

EvilKing00 02-03-2014 09:00 PM

Just saw it- Compelling story, i wonder what i would do. Hindsight is 20/20 but thats some desition to be confronted with, when the goat hearder shows up