Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   52 mantle 10 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263860)

Jdoggs 12-29-2018 10:31 AM

52 mantle 10

On display beautiful

https://coloradosun.com/2018/12/27/h...y-mantle-card/

commishbob 12-29-2018 11:03 AM

That's a beauty for sure. It never fails to amaze me that little squares of cardboard could become so valuable and be accepted as art. Thanks for posting that link.

Hxcmilkshake 12-29-2018 06:36 PM

Are there really only 3 10s?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jdoggs 12-29-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake (Post 1840563)
Are there really only 3 10s?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes

Fuddjcal 12-30-2018 09:38 AM

Oh, it's PSA 10, probably trimmed or Altered:D

ls7plus 01-03-2019 09:51 PM

My bet would be it would fetch $10 million plus if Marshall decided to put it in a major auction, or even a private sale to the right, extremely well-healed collector.

Regards,

Larry

Bigdaddy 01-04-2019 08:07 PM

I couldn't afford the juice on that card at auction.

IgnatiusJReilly 01-04-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdoggs (Post 1840594)
Yes

What’s the deal with his being a perfect 10 and the other still gem mint but not perfect. I’ve never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Empty77 01-05-2019 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly (Post 1842504)
What’s the deal with his being a perfect 10 and the other still gem mint but not perfect. I’ve never heard of that.

Yeah, that's just nonsense...it's what happens when a journalist who is not an expert in what they're writing about misunderstands something they've been told and then words it in a way they shouldn't, and then b/c they wait until the last minute and so are always in a rush to meet their "editor's deadline", that they don't do the extra diligence of having it copy edited by someone who would have the experience to say, "uh, that part doesn't really make sense; that's got to be smoothed out"--basically, most any of the hundreds/thousands of us on the most popular forums...

I suspect what was meant perhaps is that someone familiar with the other two is claiming in their opinion that the other's may have some tinsy flaw like a single dot of snow or something, where as this one is claimed literally flawless, but any such determination would be even a degree more subjective than PSA's analysis already is, since it's not like PSA has any subcategory or rating higher than Gem that they keep track of or report.

IgnatiusJReilly 01-05-2019 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empty77 (Post 1842511)
Yeah, that's just nonsense...it's what happens when a journalist who is not an expert in what they're writing about misunderstands something they've been told and then words it in a way they shouldn't, and then b/c they wait until the last minute and so are always in a rush to meet their "editor's deadline", that they don't do the extra diligence of having it copy edited by someone who would have the experience to say, "uh, that part doesn't really make sense; that's got to be smoothed out"--basically, most any of the hundreds/thousands of us on the most popular forums...

I suspect what was meant perhaps is that someone familiar with the other two is claiming in their opinion that the other's may have some tinsy flaw like a single dot of snow or something, where as this one is claimed literally flawless, but any such determination would be even a degree more subjective than PSA's analysis already is, since it's not like PSA has any subcategory or rating higher than Gem that they keep track of or report.

Ok, that’s what I was thinking. There was a second there where I thought I might have missed something big since returning to collecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk