Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   suggestions for a new set?!? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=65519)

Archive 07-28-2004 06:46 AM

suggestions for a new set?!?

Posted By: <b>rich&nbsp; </b><p>Hi,<BR>I recently completed a 1955 Topps set (I know not vintage) and am working on a 1951 topps Bluebacks to go with my complete redback set. (Again not vintage I know) And a 1936 Goudey set that is not really a hard set to complete, but fun.<BR><BR>I also am collecting T205's (1/2 done) in lower condition (I am a teacher and not making too much $$) and sporadically the 1941 playball set. <BR><BR>My question is can anyone give me any suggestions on a 25-30 card set, not too hard to find or expensive, kind of like the 36 goudeys... I like collecting the smaller sets along with a couple larger ones because if I find em I am happy, but if not it was no big deal.<BR><BR>Any ideas would be appreciated. <BR>Thanks,<BR>Rich<BR><BR>ps- I did look through the "Big Book O Baseball Cards- the 1993 edition"

Archive 07-28-2004 06:50 AM

Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>Ok - not too vintage but old enough... 1948 Bowman set - Only 48 cards, some great players, and easy to find. I completed the set when I was 11 years old and recently started to upgrade condition (my original set was probably around PSA 3!). It has always been a personal favorite of mine so I'll suggest it.

Archive 07-28-2004 06:58 AM

Posted By: <b>Larry O</b><p>How about T201s? 50 cards with a ton of HOFs, plus Cicotte, Chase, etc. Really nice, interesting set. It is relatively inexpensive in low grade and is readily available on ebay.

Archive 07-28-2004 08:15 AM

Posted By: <b>Greg Ecklund</b><p>The Tattoo Orbit set from 1933 is one you should consider - 60 cards, lots of Hall of Famers but no Ruth or Gehrig, and an interesting design. <BR><BR>There are 3 or 4 cards that are tougher than the rest, plus a few that will be expensive (Dean, Foxx, Grove), but you should be able to put together more than half the set with relative ease. Depending on what condition you are looking for, it shouldn't cost too much.

Archive 07-28-2004 09:33 AM

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>The t201 set is a great set to go after. Only 50 cards and only the Cobb/Crawford is going to cost a lot of money. The Daugherty/Lord card is listed as being scarce, but I put together 3 complete sets in 80s and never had trouble locating the card. For me, the Hickman/Hinchman and Gardner /Speaker were always the last cards I needed.<BR><BR>There are several small strip card sets that are attractive and easy to complete. Cobb and Ruth cards will only set you back a couple of hundred dollars at most.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive 07-28-2004 11:07 AM

Posted By: <b>Ben</b><p>Perhaps e93, e95, e96 or e98 as those are among the cheapest and easiest to find, and are all a very manageable size of 30 or 25 cards. Nice looking cards too. Out of that list, e96 is probably the cheapest, as it doesn't have the Cobb, Wagner, or Matty cards that would otherwise cost you many hundreds or thousands.

Archive 07-28-2004 01:35 PM

Posted By: <b>david</b><p>e95 is a small set with many hof's but no great rarities