Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   autographs.... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=176183)

Leon 09-23-2013 09:02 AM

autographs....

Hopefully with the leaving of the biggest nuisance on the board, Travis, there will be better conversations. That being said, if there is no/little fighting, as there was a lot of it before, then maybe the autograph section, game used sections and memorabilia sections will meld back into one section. Just a thought.....

tazdmb 09-23-2013 09:11 AM

I hope not

I still think Game Used and Autographs are two unique collecting niches that should continue to exist in their own seperate worlds/sub-folders.

shelly 09-23-2013 09:14 AM

Keep it seperate. The memorbilia guys are way to smart for us autograph nuts.:eek:

39special 09-23-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1187969)
Keep it seperate.

+1

thecatspajamas 09-23-2013 09:18 AM

If we were to put it to a vote, I would say keep autos separate as they are now, and maybe fold game-used back into the general memorabilia section (purely just based on the number of posts).

I think autographs will ALWAYS be one of the more volatile areas, and sooner or later another travesty will crop up (not to mention the usual, somewhat more polite infighting among the mainstays), prompting the same debate about whether autographs should be separate again. It just seems to me that it would be more disruptive popping autos in and out of the main memorabilia board all the time.

My understanding was that the game-used sub-section was started as a response to members leaving GUU and looking for somewhere else to call home, but it doesn't seem to have been as productive as originally thought, at least in terms of number of posts. It makes sense to me to have it the way it is currently, but it may not be as popular a destination as originally thought?

Leon 09-23-2013 09:39 AM

So in the last day and a half, before this thread, there were exactly 0 posts in this whole section. Do we need to vote on how that looks for a chat board? If there is enough activity to warrant an autograph forum it will stay. If there isn't then it won't. It's up to the participants...but there won't be separate forums for chirping crickets.

Big Dave 09-23-2013 09:39 AM

The autograph section is the most viable and used section on this forum, more posts, more replies, more views.

It makes no sense to blend this section back with the others.

Leon 09-23-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1187978)
The autograph section is the most viable and used section on this forum, more posts, more replies, more views.

It makes no sense to blend this section back with the others.

Are you serious? Zero posts in a day and a half is the most used? Please help me understand how you got to that conclusion you made?

Fuddjcal 09-23-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1187982)
Are you serious? Zero posts in a day and a half is the most used? Please help me understand how you got to that conclusion you made?

there was Football on and the 2nd to last weekend of baseball. Maybe people were actually doing something constructive yesterday. :D

It's welcome to any Forum when that noodle for a brain is done with his stupidity....It's addition by subtraction. Subtract a Big Giant Fat Hard Head and you can actually get some dialogue from actual collectors and dealers instead of an unfeeling, borderline crooked, uneducated Jerk off, IMHO

Big Dave 09-23-2013 10:19 AM

Well Leon, if you want to just count the past day, you are correct and the autograph section truly sucks. But if you want to get out of your very short term view and look at it overall, there is no way you are correct and the autograph section is number one on this forum in threads, replies, views. I remember the last time this section slacked off for a few days. You did the same thing as you are doing now. It's like you go into panic mode if there isn't mutiple posts every day.

This is the best autograph forum on the net. Why mess with success? Just look at what happened to the autograph section at game used universe after they messed with it......total ghost town, and it was number one.

But what the hey, it's your's to do with it as you chose. Listen to the people that actually use this forum, or not.

Leon 09-23-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1187991)
there was Football on and the 2nd to last weekend of baseball. Maybe people were actually doing something constructive yesterday. :D

It's welcome to any Forum when that noodle for a brain is done with his stupidity....It's addition by subtraction. Subtract a Big Giant Fat Hard Head and you can actually get some dialogue from actual collectors and dealers instead of an unfeeling, borderline crooked, uneducated Jerk off, IMHO

All I am saying is that if there is enough activity in this forum then it will stay. If there isn't then it will be combined with the memorabilia section the way it used to be. Everyone can still talk about autographs, or not, but there might not be an individual section. If I could contribute more I would but I am not an autograph guy, per se..... It seems everyone wants a separate section, but with no one posting very much, I am not sure why?

Mr. Zipper 09-23-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1187996)
Well Leon, if you want to just count the past day, you are correct and the autograph section truly sucks. But if you want to get out of your very short term view and look at it overall, there is no way you are correct and the autograph section is number one on this forum in threads, replies, views.

I agree with Dave. A few quiet days does not make a trend. These things are cyclical and historically after periods of a lot of activity there have been "pauses."

If it went on regularly for weeks I think it may deserve a second look. But I don't see anything out of the ordinary at this juncture.

Just my 2 cents...

shelly 09-23-2013 11:13 AM

+1

Leon 09-23-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1188001)
I agree with Dave. A few quiet days does not make a trend. These things are cyclical and historically after periods of a lot of activity there have been "pauses."

If it went on regularly for weeks I think it may deserve a second look. But I don't see anything out of the ordinary at this juncture.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks Steve.....no worries. Nothing is imminent......I am always trying to look out for what is best for the forum, that is all. Even though the class idiot was disruptive he did post a lot....

thecatspajamas 09-23-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1188020)
Even though the class idiot was disruptive he did post a lot....

Ha! True dat.

Almost like he was posting for 2 or 3 people :p

Runscott 09-23-2013 11:52 AM

...which means that the only reason the autograph collectors need our own sub-forum, is to have enough space to argue in;otherwise, it's true that our conversations would be civil and fun, but as Leon has pointed out - where are they?

I'll start a really boring one in a moment, but it's the only thing I can think of.

HOF Auto Rookies 09-23-2013 01:33 PM

I'd love for it to stay separate, but if we are looking at numbers, views and posts, why do we even bother having a modern section? That hardly ever gets any posts or new threads etc.

Forever Young 09-23-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 1188043)
I'd love for it to stay separate, but if we are looking at numbers, views and posts, why do we even bother having a modern section? That hardly ever gets any posts or new threads etc.

Agreed. What exacly would be the positive/gain of combining? There are other sections like the one listed above that are separated.
The autograph section will ALWAYS have more action than that and others as a whole.

Leon 09-23-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1188060)
Agreed. What exacly would be the positive/gain of combining? There are other sections like the one listed above that are separated.
The autograph section will ALWAYS have more action than that and others as a whole.

Those sections are clustered with other ones that do get some action. This one is clustered with 2 others that are going away very soon due to their lack of activity.....but this one will stay as long as there is some activity. Maybe we need another freaking idiot to liven things up...or maybe his buddy in the autograph hunting jacket will come back (the internet tough guy) :)

JimStinson 09-23-2013 03:03 PM

JimStinson

1 Attachment(s)
We should all learn to live together in harmony and agree to occasionally not agree :)

Buying and Selling Vintage Baseball Autographs since 1982
stinsonsports.com

Runscott 09-23-2013 03:14 PM

I agree to disagree. Please write something and I'll disagree with you :)

JimStinson 09-23-2013 03:18 PM

JimStinson

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1188084)

LOL...Now THATS funny !!!! :D:D
We'll liven things up a bit ! I just can't think of anything to disagree with you on YET...But I'm working on it :confused:

Buying & Selling Vintage Baseball Autographs
stinsonsports.com

Deertick 09-23-2013 03:24 PM

Leon, you are a genius. Start a thread about a lack of posts and Voila! :D

Don't worry about this forum. Just because we don't debate every day whether a little spot on the back of a card is a printing error, doesn't make us any less nuts. Well, maybe it does.

Leon 09-23-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1188089)
Leon, you are a genius. Start a thread about a lack of posts and Voila! :D

Don't worry about this forum. Just because we don't debate every day whether a little spot on the back of a card is a printing error, doesn't make us any less nuts. Well, maybe it does.

But the little spot on the back of a card is better than the alternative of a bad autograph. On one you have a lower grade, on the other you have writing on paper.

JimStinson 09-23-2013 04:25 PM

JimStinson

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1188111)
But the little spot on the back of a card is better than the alternative of a bad autograph. On one you have a lower grade, on the other you have writing on paper.

I guess it all depends on what biological substance that created the "spot" on the back of the card consists of.....if its of human origin I'd prefer the "writing on paper"

Buying and Selling Vintage Autographs
stinsonsports.com

earlywynnfan 09-23-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1188084)

That's a cheap shot and I resent you saying it!!!! Jerk! And crap like this wouldn't happen if:

1) Leon was trustworthy
2) PSA/DNA would get better exemplars
3) Shelly was Sheila
4) Obama wasn't President
5) My students would study more
5) I could count
6) Mickey Mantle had a harder auto to forge
7) Religous extremists would be more willing to stand up for their beliefs
8) It wasn't for these lousy hemorrhoids!

How'd I do??
Ken

Wymers Auction 09-23-2013 05:56 PM

I disagree with everyone and I refuse to establish why. That should be good for 500 posts.

JimStinson 09-23-2013 06:05 PM

JimStinson

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wymers Auction (Post 1188170)
I disagree with everyone and I refuse to establish why. That should be good for 500 posts.

+ 100 and by the way I resent that remark !

Buying and Selling Vintage Baseball Autographs
stinsonsports.com

Big Dave 09-23-2013 06:31 PM

I also agree that everyone was wrong and Travis should come back.

Runscott 09-23-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1188159)
That's a cheap shot and I resent you saying it!!!! Jerk! And crap like this wouldn't happen if:

1) Leon was trustworthy
2) PSA/DNA would get better exemplars
3) Shelly was Sheila
4) Obama wasn't President
5) My students would study more
5) I could count
6) Mickey Mantle had a harder auto to forge
7) Religous extremists would be more willing to stand up for their beliefs
8) It wasn't for these lousy hemorrhoids!

How'd I do??
Ken

Well, regarding #8 - if all of you would agree to quit buying those 'loopy M' autographed items, our fights would probably move more toward Ted Williams.

Oh yeah, and those freshly-signed Babe Ruth baseballs.

Exhibitman 09-24-2013 11:49 AM

I'd give it a bit, Leon. Travis's nonsense alienated a lot of posters and they may not be willing to venture back into the waters here unless they are sure he is gone.

Runscott 09-24-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1188410)
I'd give it a bit, Leon. Travis's nonsense alienated a lot of posters and they may not be willing to venture back into the waters here unless they are sure he is gone.

I like that. So Travis was like a giant alligator that doesn't attack, but might accidentally hit you with its tail while you're trying to enjoy a swim.