Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   stanley cup finals (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=336176)

Peter_Spaeth 06-02-2023 11:17 AM

stanley cup finals

The Las Vegas Golden Knights and the Florida Panthers. Sorry, but does anyone care?

steve B 06-02-2023 11:37 AM

The NHL playoffs haven't finished yet?

mrreality68 06-02-2023 11:47 AM

Sadly no interest with not only my team not in finals but also because neither team interests me and no stories related to them that interest me

nolemmings 06-02-2023 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2344772)
The Las Vegas Golden Knights and the Florida Panthers. Sorry, but does anyone care?

Yes. I do. Despite being a matchup of two teams that bring me no joy, the Stanley Cup playoffs, including the Finals, are easily my favorite sporting event to follow. Hell I watched 90% or so of that 4-overtime game between Carolina and Florida, a matchup I cared even less about than this one. I realize that is pretty strong evidence that I have no life, but hey, it is what it is. :)

Jim65 06-02-2023 01:02 PM

I'll watch, playoff hockey is better than any other sport to watch.

todeen 06-02-2023 01:32 PM

Hockey is my son's favorite sport - deep emotional connection - and we are all in. He lost the Kraken, I lost the Stars. So now he is rooting for Vegas and I'm rooting for the panthers. We will watch all the games.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

butchie_t 06-02-2023 01:58 PM

My team was out before the playoffs even started. So, not really. However, I want to see Florida take it. I live too close to Vegas and don't care for them.

GO CAPS! Next year......

irv 06-02-2023 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2344785)
Yes. I do. Despite being a matchup of two teams that bring me no joy, the Stanley Cup playoffs, including the Finals, are easily my favorite sporting event to follow. Hell I watched 90% or so of that 4-overtime game between Carolina and Florida, a matchup I cared even less about than this one. I realize that is pretty strong evidence that I have no life, but hey, it is what it is. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2344801)
I'll watch, playoff hockey is better than any other sport to watch.

Nothing comes remotely close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2344807)
Hockey is my son's favorite sport - deep emotional connection - and we are all in. He lost the Kraken, I lost the Stars. So now he is rooting for Vegas and I'm rooting for the panthers. We will watch all the games.

I was rooting for the Leafs, of course, then Edmonton then I moved onto Dallas.
I've always liked Vegas but I wanted Dallas this year, mainly due to Ty Dellandrea and Wyatt Johnston, but will be rooting for Vegas from here on in.

Should be a great series, I hope, especially the first game (maybe? Long layoff) as I'm sure each team will try to prove who is the toughest/meanest right out of the gate.

I don't much care for Tkachuk, despite him being a great player, so I'm eager to see someone stand him up or give back to him what he has been dishing out basically since the playoffs started. Same goes for Bennett too. Wouldn't bother me one bit if someone laid him out like he did to Slavin.

If Bob plays as well as he has, Vegas is definitely in tough, but hopefully they can get it done. :)

philliesfan 06-02-2023 04:26 PM

I watch when I can. Playoff hockey is usually exciting no matter who is playing.

mikemb 06-02-2023 04:51 PM

My team, the Rangers lost in round one. Any other team i was then pulling for is also out.

But I have watched most of the games from the start and will watch the finals. As others have said, playoff hockey is great and overtime is fantastic!

Mike

todeen 06-02-2023 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2344855)
I was rooting for the Leafs, of course, then Edmonton then I moved onto Dallas.
I've always liked Vegas but I wanted Dallas this year, mainly due to Ty Dellandrea and Wyatt Johnston, but will be rooting for Vegas from here on in.

I root for Dallas because my childhood friend was the nephew of Andy Moog. My other friend was a Blues fan, so I was partial to them too. Kraken are my home state team now, so I must be loyal to them. I think next year we will try to take in a game in Seattle next year.

irv 06-03-2023 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2344933)
I root for Dallas because my childhood friend was the nephew of Andy Moog. My other friend was a Blues fan, so I was partial to them too. Kraken are my home state team now, so I must be loyal to them. I think next year we will try to take in a game in Seattle next year.

I have a former boss and friend, John Goodwin, who is now a scout for the Kraken. Ron Francis and him used to play hockey together in the OHL (Ontario Hockey league) John was drafted by Montreal but he never got played, I believe, due to him not being/speaking French mostly? (The bias/discrimination was unbelievable back then) so other than a few stints here and there, including some coaching jobs, he finally landed a job with the Kraken so I was also rooting for them somewhat as well. I've always liked Jordan Eberle too, and that goes way back to his World Junior days.
https://www.nhl.com/kraken/news/syme...er/c-317506688
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...pansion-draft/
https://ontariohockeyleague.com/arti...cs-ron-francis

TUM301 06-03-2023 12:08 PM

As a loooooooooong time Bruins fan, hope Vegas and Coach Cassidy win the cup. On a side note, the B`s tanked in round 1, but thank god the players had fun under their 1st year coach. That`s what`s important.

mrreality68 06-03-2023 03:30 PM

Hopefully it is a good close series for the enjoyment of the serious NHL fans. But the average fan and non NHL fans are not going to be attracted to it plus having the game on TNT does not help

frankbmd 06-03-2023 04:10 PM

Quote:

The year of the ruined bruins.

mrreality68 06-03-2023 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2345095)
The year of the ruined bruins.

Amazing best record to fast exit

robinsonmantle 06-03-2023 07:48 PM

Good game so far - short handed goal to start off the scoring.

Hoping for a good series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrreality68 06-03-2023 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinsonmantle (Post 2345143)
Good game so far - short handed goal to start off the scoring.

Hoping for a good series.

Surprised how good the matchup is
Tied at 2 at end of 2nd. Some dead spots in the game but overall the game is flowing

mrreality68 06-03-2023 09:08 PM

So much for a close game.

Vegas score 3 in the third to easily pull away

nolemmings 06-03-2023 09:48 PM

It was close enough. I can't complain about a game with one goal separation and less than 7 minutes to go. If Hill doesn't make that great save on a shorty breakaway you've got a one goal difference with a couple minutes to play.

Tkachuk and Bennett with dumbass penalties late, which is glorious. TV said Tkachuk had a 4 minute minor plus 10 but CBS Sports had it as he and Bennett each getting a 2 minute roughing plus ten. Couldn't have made me happier. You need two goals late and you put a near impossible comeback completely out of reach by taking yourself off the ice and leaving the home team on the PP. And as if it was going to send Vegas "a message" for Game 2. Brilliant.

This one will be a fun series, but then again, I would watch every minute regardless.

irv 06-04-2023 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2345164)
It was close enough. I can't complain about a game with one goal separation and less than 7 minutes to go. If Hill doesn't make that great save on a shorty breakaway you've got a one goal difference with a couple minutes to play.

Tkachuk and Bennett with dumbass penalties late, which is glorious. TV said Tkachuk had a 4 minute minor plus 10 but CBS Sports had it as he and Bennett each getting a 2 minute roughing plus ten. Couldn't have made me happier. You need two goals late and you put a near impossible comeback completely out of reach by taking yourself off the ice and leaving the home team on the PP. And as if it was going to send Vegas "a message" for Game 2. Brilliant.

This one will be a fun series, but then again, I would watch every minute regardless.

Like I alluded to above, it doesn't surprise me in the least.
Couple cement heads.

Cliff Bowman 06-04-2023 11:17 AM

What's it been, thirty years since a Canadian team won the Cup?

irv 06-04-2023 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2345266)
What's it been, thirty years since a Canadian team won the Cup?

Easy now! :D

Between the 2 teams, there are over 30 CDN's playing so at least The Cup does spend more time here than anywhere else.

I think Leafs are going to get it done next year? :rolleyes:

CardPadre 06-04-2023 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2345282)
Easy now! :D

Between the 2 teams, there are over 30 CDN's playing so at least The Cup does spend more time here than anywhere else.

That's the thing. Even with the teams possibly being a less appealing matchup to some, winning the Cup means so much to the players...especially the Canadians. Makes it fun to watch.

irv 06-04-2023 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardPadre (Post 2345301)
That's the thing. Even with the teams possibly being a less appealing matchup to some, winning the Cup means so much to the players...especially the Canadians. Makes it fun to watch.

Absolutely.
Many players, including HOF's, despite playing their whole careers or playing for 15-20+yrs, never get the opportunity to raise Sir Stanley. A very tough Cup to win for sure.
Here's a list of the top 15 but there are many many more.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...he-stanley-cup

Snapolit1 06-04-2023 06:30 PM

Quote:

Nope. Tree falling the the proverbial forest. If the TV ratings aren't abysmal I will be shocked. Zero buzz outside the repective towns.

More people in this country would watch two NFL quarterbacks bowling. Doesnt make hockey a bad sport. It's a great game. It's just not a top 3 sport in this country.

Kzoo 06-04-2023 06:53 PM

Stanley Cup FINAL

Quote:

True hockey fans don't care who's in the Stanley Cup FINAL (it's not 'Finals'), they'll watch regardless. It's the best hockey of the year. With all the overtime games this postseason, a game 7 overtime would be fantastic.

irv 06-06-2023 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kzoo (Post 2345393)
True hockey fans don't care who's in the Stanley Cup FINAL (it's not 'Finals'), they'll watch regardless. It's the best hockey of the year. With all the overtime games this postseason, a game 7 overtime would be fantastic.

It's definitely been fun to watch so far!

Off to Florida now for 2. Florida might win one, which I kinda hope they do so Vegas can raise Sir Stanley at home, but at the same time I don't want Vegas to take their foot off the gas either and allow Florida to get back in the series.

Real glad to see Eichel come back. They way he was behaving after the hit, I thought something was seriously wrong with him.

mrreality68 06-06-2023 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2345697)
It's definitely been fun to watch so far!

Off to Florida now for 2. Florida might win one, which I kinda hope they do so Vegas can raise Sir Stanley at home, but at the same time I don't want Vegas to take their foot off the gas either and allow Florida to get back in the series.

Real glad to see Eichel come back. They way he was behaving after the hit, I thought something was seriously wrong with him.

I enjoy hockey and enjoyed for over 40 years but I am not a Hockey Addict. The games have been fast paced and action been pretty steady. the 2nd games was enjoyable but not very close.

Hopefully Florida wins at least 1 at home to help make it more of a series

nolemmings 06-06-2023 11:23 AM

Wow, that was pretty much a clinic by Vegas. A couple of gift goals from Florida's poor defense, but it didn't really matter. Game 2 was much more due to Vegas' solid play than Panthers blunders. Other than a single flub by Martinez and a juicy rebound yielded late by Hill, Vegas was unstoppable.

The Golden Knights are clearly the better team, but of course the better team does not always take home the prize. They do actually play better on the road, however, at least record-wise. I expect they will hoist the Cup, but not in Miami.

frankbmd 06-06-2023 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2345381)
Nope. Tree falling the the proverbial forest. If the TV ratings aren't abysmal I will be shocked. Zero buzz outside the repective towns.

More people in this country would watch two NFL quarterbacks bowling. Doesnt make hockey a bad sport. It's a great game. It's just not a top 3 sport in this country.

And bowling is a top 3 sport in this country. :confused::eek::confused::D:D:D

Peter_Spaeth 06-06-2023 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2345381)

Leaves me cold if it isn't the home team or a player in whom I have a rooting interest. Then again, I did not grow up with hockey, so that's probably a big part of it.

nolemmings 06-06-2023 06:42 PM

The fact that it is on cable definitely hurts the total number of eyes on the product, but the opener was the most cable-watched Stanley Cup Final Game 1 in the last 21 years, FWIW.

irv 06-07-2023 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2345894)
The fact that it is on cable definitely hurts the total number of eyes on the product, but the opener was the most cable-watched Stanley Cup Final Game 1 in the last 21 years, FWIW.

Yep, seems more are watching and are more interested in it than some thought they would.
https://www.nhl.com/news/game-1-of-s...?tid=344544256

mrreality68 06-09-2023 05:44 AM

It is now a series with that win and that was a great close game

Most enjoyable of the series

robinsonmantle 06-09-2023 05:51 AM

It was a good game. We now get at least 5 games in the series. Hoping for another good game Saturday.

irv 06-09-2023 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinsonmantle (Post 2346476)
It was a good game. We now get at least 5 games in the series. Hoping for another good game Saturday.

Same, and I'm hoping for a Vegas win then the hoisting of Sir Stanley when they head back home for their game on Tuesday.

mrreality68 06-14-2023 04:52 AM

Vegas wins it in 5.

They looked by far the Better Team

Sadly game 5 was over early in the game

steve B 06-14-2023 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2345852)
And bowling is a top 3 sport in this country. :confused::eek::confused::D:D:D

Which kind?

irv 06-14-2023 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2347646)
Vegas wins it in 5.

They looked by far the Better Team

Sadly game 5 was over early in the game

Florida was simply outplayed and outclassed.

Great win for Vegas. I'm really glad for the group of "misfits" that nobody seemed to want anymore.
Marchessault winning the Conn Smyth is just sugar on top.
Real happy for him. :)