Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1969 Topps question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269679)

steve B 06-01-2019 08:48 PM

1969 Topps question

Well, no luck on the main board, maybe there isn't as much crossover as I'd thought.

Anyway, I realized that I bought my first cards 50 years ago this year.

Does anyone know roughly when during the year series three was in stores? I'd like to somewhat narrow it down.

The story...
I went with dad to the local pharmacy/store - small town, and the place was very old fashioned. Still had the soda counter and penny candy area.
I bought a pack of cards, and opened them sitting in the car with dad. He pointed out this kid Reggie Jackson and said "hey, this guy is pretty good"

No packs in 70, one in 71, none in 72, moved to a new town in 73, and my new friends were into cards, so I got going a bit more late fall 73.

Of the cards I'd bought before then, the only ones that survived a couple moves, outgrown toy purges and the toybox were the Reggie and a Danny Cater coin. Maybe a couple others from 69, but I don't remember them. (If any 69s or 71s survived, I probably still have them but don't recall what cards they were. They may have been upgraded somewhere along the way)

swarmee 06-01-2019 08:50 PM

I would guess May-June. If you figure the first series went out during Spring Training, series two in April, that would put series 3 in May. That's presuming the cards came out in March. I was born in '79 so I only go by what I read on message boards.

onlyvintage62 06-02-2019 06:43 AM

Know exactly.

Series three was on in NYC area in late April,

rats60 06-02-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyvintage62 (Post 1883663)
Know exactly.

Series three was on in NYC area in late April,

I think it depends on what part of the country you were in. In California, we were just getting the 1st series cards in mid April. 1974 was the 1st year we had baseball cards on the opening week of the season. Third series would have been late May- early June for us. I do remember getting 6th and 7th series cards in August 1969, which was early for us compared to other years.

Rich Klein 06-02-2019 08:19 AM

We had the 1st 2 series earlier in New Jersey. I think by March we were done with 1-2 and by April we were into series 4. I think series 3 was in March

Rich

steve B 06-02-2019 05:15 PM

I was in western CT then. Which is difficult as far as timing goes. Sometimes we got stuff on a NY schedule, sometimes on a "hey it finally showed up" schedule. Either way, It looks like that anniversary has passed already.

Here's to another 50 years! (I hope)

toppcat 06-03-2019 04:33 PM

I bought one pack of 69's (my first ever) and promptly lost them all flipping. In 1970 I bought dozens of packs, many of them racks. What a difference a year makes!