Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   League leaders (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237780)

frankbmd 04-02-2017 06:03 PM

League leaders

Current ML homerun leader this season at 8PM EDT today is

_______________________________?

frankbmd 04-02-2017 08:26 PM

I'll take a stab at it, Frank

Madison Bumgarner with 2

the 'stache 04-03-2017 12:41 AM

For the season?

Bryce Harper beating out Giancarlo Stanton in the NL (yes, Stanton manages to stay healthy, somehow) and Nolan Arenado.

AL is a bit tougher. I've just got this sneaking suspicion Mike Trout is going to go nuts with the long ball. Will he lead the league? I'd take him. I think he's about to come into his own as a true power hitter.

clydepepper 04-03-2017 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1647018)
Current ML homerun leader this season at 8PM EDT today is

_______________________________?

You DID say 'CURRENT ML homerun leader this season at 8PM EDT today...'

Well, the leader 'in the clubhouse' is one Madison Bumgarner with a two-potato day on Sunday!

It'll take a big game by someone in an early game to tie or pass him.

packs 04-03-2017 08:13 AM

I know Bum has a lot of career home runs for a pitcher but I'm getting tired of how announcers talk about him. His career average is .183. He only has 16 career homers. Wes Ferrell hit 38 and batted .280, a hundred points higher.

frankbmd 04-03-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1647130)
For the season?

Bryce Harper beating out Giancarlo Stanton in the NL (yes, Stanton manages to stay healthy, somehow) and Nolan Arenado.

AL is a bit tougher. I've just got this sneaking suspicion Mike Trout is going to go nuts with the long ball. Will he lead the league? I'd take him. I think he's about to come into his own as a true power hitter.

I said "current", Bill. This is not a futurist pontification thread.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1647138)
You DID say 'CURRENT ML homerun leader this season at 8PM EDT today...'

Well, the leader 'in the clubhouse' is one Madison Bumgarner with a two-potato day on Sunday!

It'll take a big game by someone in an early game to tie or pass him.

Thanks for straightening the 'stache out, Ray. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1647176)
I know Bum has a lot of career home runs for a pitcher but I'm getting tired of how announcers talk about him. His career average is .183. He only has 16 career homers. Wes Ferrell hit 38 and batted .280, a hundred points higher.

But did Ferrell ever lead the majors, if even for a day or three?

Furthermore I am not an announcer, just a shut in internet troll. :D:D

KCRfan1 04-03-2017 01:14 PM

Bill!!!!!

How are you? Doing well I hope!!!!

Frank, I'll stay with Bum for the end of the day. I will play the crystal ball and say Travis Shaw will lead the majors in hr's. He is taylor made for the Brew Crew stadium.

bn2cardz 04-03-2017 01:37 PM

He doesn't just lead in HR, he leads in AVG 1.000/OBP 1.000/SLG 4.000/OPS 5.000 :D

bn2cardz 04-03-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1647176)

Talking about the achievements of one player doesn't negate the achievements of another. Ferrell played his last game in 1941. I think it is ok to move on and talk about a current hitting pitcher.

Either way I think the career stats don't show the full picture of what is happening. Really Mad Bum's hitting wasn't worth a mention until 2014 (age 24 year). From 2014 through yesterday he has had 14 home runs and is batting .234 with a .459 slg. He has greatly improved behind the plate in an time when pitchers are substituted so often they are left without options in extra innings. It is nice if you have a pitcher you can keep in the game without worrying if his bat is a detriment to the team.

packs 04-03-2017 02:11 PM

True. Mike Hampton should get some honorable mentions every now and then too. He also hit 16 homers (7 in one year).

bn2cardz 04-03-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1647289)
True. Mike Hampton should get some honorable mentions every now and then too. He also hit 16 homers (7 in one year).

He also played 16 years. His 7HR year came when he played for Colorado, but to be fair he did split his HRs away (3) and home (4).

I don't know if Bumgarner can keep up the pace he has had the last 3 years, but if he does and can maintain as a top ace I think he would be in the same conversation as Bob Gibson or Warren Spahn. In the age of specialties it is nice to see any players that can at least be worth talking about defensively as well as offensively for any position.

clydepepper 04-03-2017 06:20 PM

Frank-

Thanks for straightening the 'stache out, Ray.

I can't straighten the 'stache out, it's up to the Russian now. :cool::eek::rolleyes:

frankbmd 04-03-2017 08:59 PM

Madison's run is over.

Two for Grandal today.

Bummer.

KMayUSA6060 04-03-2017 09:46 PM

2 for Odor, too - 1 for each horse. Fortunately for me, he earned his 2 horses, and then quieted down. Indians with the nice comeback! Roll Tribe!

the 'stache 04-05-2017 12:40 PM

Sorry, Frank. The new girlfriend has been keeping me up all night. Sleep deprivation has set in. I'm up with her until 7 or 8 am until we're both able to move (she's in Romania right now).

Lou, I am doing much better. Thank you for the well wishes! I start back at the gym tomorrow after 7 weeks healing a broken knee.

tschock 04-05-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1647419)
Madison's run is over.

Two for Grandal today.

Bummer.

Ahhhh... I see what you did there... :D