Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Anybody know much about the T220 Silvers or love this set? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243969)

G1911 08-21-2017 08:34 PM

Anybody know much about the T220 Silvers or love this set?

Anyone know much about the T220 Silvers? I love the look of these and have collected them for the last ~15 years and have 100 or so, mostly lo grade, though only 23/25 different missing the obvious 2. This was the first non-baseball set I collected.

- The Donovan and James J. Corbett are extremely tough. I know of only 3 Donovan’s and maybe 12-20 Corbett’s. Perhaps their was a premium associated with completing the set? I’m not aware of the ATC ever doing this during the 1909-1911 era though. Would love to add these to my set some day

- Jack Goodman has long been checklisted but I have never seen one or heard of anyone able to verify it’s existence. As there are at least 2 extremely short printed cards int he set, it wouldn’t surprise me if there is a copy of this card somewhere, or another unchecklisted card. The checklist is odd with many of the biggest names only appearing in the white border set.

- The Donovan and Joe Coburn cards feature significant differences in the backgrounds of the artwork as compared to their white border cards. Why they would bother to change backgrounds remains a mystery to me. I have never seen a silver card with the backgrounds present on their white border counterparts. Perhaps the Donovan was pulled to change the background, but that doesn’t explain why the James Corbett is also extremely scarce.

- Issued after Joe Gans death in August 1910, but theres nothing else to pinpoint a date of issue. Presumably late 1910-1911.

- Of the 23 “standard” cards, I suspect they don’t all have the same print run. Some of the cards seem to come up quite a bit less, but I stopped tracking them all years ago. I know many of the PSA/SGC graded cards have been cracked and submitted several times, so I'm reluctant to use their data.

- They seem to be about as common as Tolstoi backed white borders.

- I have never seen one with a factory 30 back, only factory 649 that is more common among the white borders and in all other Mecca sets.

butcher354435 08-22-2017 05:04 AM

I also like the T220 Silver set. Very aesthetically pleasing to me when they are in nice condition(ex and above) but also very difficult to find in nice condition because of the silver borders.

The fact that it has 2 legit rarities, the J Corbett and Donovan as you mentioned, also makes it a very fun set to collect. I know of only 3 Donovan's and I would have estimated 10-15 J Corbett's but your estimate(12-20) is in that ballpark also.

Exhibitman 08-22-2017 09:36 AM

Anyone win/bid on that Frankenstein lot in Huggins & Scott that had the entire silver set but didn't even highlight it?

G1911 08-22-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butcher354435 (Post 1693263)
I also like the T220 Silver set. Very aesthetically pleasing to me when they are in nice condition(ex and above) but also very difficult to find in nice condition because of the silver borders.

The fact that it has 2 legit rarities, the J Corbett and Donovan as you mentioned, also makes it a very fun set to collect. I know of only 3 Donovan's and I would have estimated 10-15 J Corbett's but your estimate(12-20) is in that ballpark also.

I'd love to narrow down the surviving Corbett's. I've seen about 7-9 different cards over the years, but it seems to have always been known as part of the set and appeared on every checklist I've ever seen. I would suspect a significant portion of the population is squirreled away in collector's sets and haven't surfaced in many years or been reported online somewhere. The Donovan may have been pulled to change the background, but I can think of no good explanation for why the Corbett, probably the biggest name in the set, is so rare today. Most of the copies I have seen have been in relatively good condition, considering ~80% of the silvers I see are Poor-Good.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting an imgur link, but here are images of the 3 Donovan's I know about: http://imgur.com/a/hdIaC.

I believe you own the 3rd one and Exhibitman the 1st? This card is my white whale. Missed out on the second Donovan to appear on eBay by only a few seconds. Wonderful set, very interesting man, and a very aesthetically pleasing image. I like the background more than the version that appears in the white border set. Hoping a fourth one pops up someday, or something surfaces to answer some of the questions on this issue.

G1911 08-22-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1693338)
Anyone win/bid on that Frankenstein lot in Huggins & Scott that had the entire silver set but didn't even highlight it?

Totally missed this one and can't find it with a search on their sight now (probably because it wasn't highlighted lol). Was their a Donovan and/or Corbett in this lot?

butcher354435 08-23-2017 12:52 AM

Adam, I picked up the lot in H&S. From what I could see, the Donovan appeared to be in nice condition. Can't wait to see it in person...

G1911 08-23-2017 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butcher354435 (Post 1693637)
Adam, I picked up the lot in H&S. From what I could see, the Donovan appeared to be in nice condition. Can't wait to see it in person...

Sounds like this raises the population to 4 Donovan's

butcher354435 08-23-2017 01:55 AM

I believe it still may be 3...

I have 2 and there is 1 more that I know of...

Leon 08-23-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butcher354435 (Post 1693641)
I believe it still may be 3...

I have 2 and there is 1 more that I know of...

hoarder!!

Exhibitman 08-23-2017 11:34 AM

I have one Donovan.

A few years ago I did an analysis of known specimens per the grading companies. At the time there was one Donovan and three Corbetts. I've since seen two more distinct Donovans and two more Corbetts. So I'd put the count at 3 and 5 cards, respectively. I fully expect that there are some others out there, just as there are probably some additional Graziano cards waiting to be found.

Brent, glad to see someone in the family got the lot. Not to mention verifying that the sale is real (never can tell with auctions these days).

I was really amazed how high it went. I bid up to around a grand then dropped out. I wonder what the Donovan and Corbett are worth individually today? I'd think somewhere in four figures. Unless I sell mine, in which case $200 max.

G1911 08-23-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1693779)
I have one Donovan.

A few years ago I did an analysis of known specimens per the grading companies. At the time there was one Donovan and three Corbetts. I've since seen two more distinct Donovans and two more Corbetts. So I'd put the count at 3 and 5 cards, respectively. I fully expect that there are some others out there, just as there are probably some additional Graziano cards waiting to be found.

Brent, glad to see someone in the family got the lot. Not to mention verifying that the sale is real (never can tell with auctions these days).

I was really amazed how high it went. I bid up to around a grand then dropped out. I wonder what the Donovan and Corbett are worth individually today? I'd think somewhere in four figures. Unless I sell mine, in which case $200 max.

It seems there are 4 to surface. I have scans of 3 I linked in the imgur album above, but this newest Donovan was described by Butcher as being in "Nice Condition," which means it's probably not the 3rd one I have a scan of. I think the missing card in your count is the second image here with the heavy crease down the middle that sold for $40: http://imgur.com/a/hdIaC

Can anybody share their information or scans of Donovan's not shown in my post? I know of another one a collector in California claims to have but haven't got an image or proof of it, so I'm not counting that possible one in my tally.

Exhibitman 08-23-2017 05:53 PM

Looks like we're up to 4 then.

butcher354435 08-31-2017 08:58 AM

I think that 4th one slipped by many of us. Nice catch for someone!

Leon, at times I do feel like I'm hoarder(boxing cards) but not by intent, more by laziness...