Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Question for the experts (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=170459)

13thinning2013 06-11-2013 02:43 PM

Question for the experts

Hello all,
New to the forums here so a quick hello to all.

Here is my question. Posted this over at the eBay forums and it was suggested I also post this here.

There was a discussion thread over there about COA companies that are not allowed due to shady offerings. Asked a question about a mantle auto from the company Stat Authentic LLC. My brother picked this up at an auction house last year and if memory serves paid about 85.00 dollars for it. This was not the only auto in the bunch but this is the only one with a COA . There was a jeter, and some other players from football , baseball, etc. I am more interested in the mantle.

Before I go any further my photos are on my iPad which I am using. How can I upload the two pics.

13thinning2013 06-11-2013 02:48 PM

Okay I uploaded the pics to my profile albums. Take a look and let me know. Would you get this re looked at.

joed25 06-11-2013 02:58 PM

Welcome to the forum. The Mantle is fake. Stat is an unreliable company.

shelly 06-11-2013 03:04 PM

Cant see the picture but my opinion is :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Mr. Zipper 06-11-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed25 (Post 1144918)
Welcome to the forum. The Mantle is fake. Stat is an unreliable company.

Ditto.

MooseDog 06-11-2013 03:43 PM

Yeah, no good on the Mantle...but the generic laminated COA is pretty impressive!

13thinning2013 06-11-2013 04:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. Was really unsure at the time of the auction and let my brother make the call on purchasing the lot. Did not have an iPad then like I do now.

johnmh71 06-11-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13thinning2013 (Post 1144911)
There was a discussion thread over there about COA companies that are not allowed due to shady offerings. Asked a question about a mantle auto from the company Stat Authentic LLC. My brother picked this up at an auction house last year and if memory serves paid about 85.00 dollars for it. This was not the only auto in the bunch but this is the only one with a COA . There was a jeter, and some other players from football , baseball, etc. I am more interested in the mantle.

What is there about paying $85 for a Mantle auto that doesn't scream fake?

thetruthisoutthere 06-11-2013 04:51 PM

Ted Taylor (TTA/Stat Authentic) has a permanent position on Ebay's Banned COA list.

And deservedly so.

dapro 06-11-2013 04:59 PM

here is the picture, http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=11606

Mr. Zipper 06-11-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapro (Post 1144999)

Textbook "Milkey Mautle" mass-produced fake.

13thinning2013 06-11-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmh71 (Post 1144984)

As I said I did not make the call on this one, I said pass as I did not have an iPad as I do now so I could look it up and do more research. I do appreciate the responses though.

joed25 06-11-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmh71 (Post 1144984)

$85 for a Mantle signed photo is a good deal but not unheard of. It does not "scream fake". I'v bought many authentic Mantle photos for less than that.

travrosty 06-11-2013 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1145007)
Textbook "Milkey Mautle" mass-produced fake.

From the bottom of the t in mantle all the way to the end of the e in mantle, you can basically draw a straight line along the baseline of those letters, a real mantle is more bouncy and not exactly straight like that. It's just one of the tells. In a real mantle the e in Mantle usually dips down below and the end of the e is usually shorter and doent tail way off to the right in a straight line and the line you can draw underneath those last three letters won't be exactly straight like i have shown here. Look how exactly straight that the red line is and it is perfectly underneath those letters. as a general rule, a real mantle isnt like that.

oops i just helped the forgers.

13thinning2013 06-12-2013 12:44 AM

Thanks Trav for the info on that.

Mr. Zipper 06-12-2013 05:40 AM

Thank you Travis for providing the line by line breakdown of an obvious, slowly drawn, malformed fake. You are truly an expert!

By the way, how's the analysis going on the Jim Corbett autograph someone posted a month ago? Been too busy breaking down documented Mantle forgery styles to get to it?

shelly 06-12-2013 09:26 AM

Now that I see the autograph I would have to say:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

RichardSimon 06-12-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed25 (Post 1145141)
$85 for a Mantle signed photo is a good deal but not unheard of. It does not "scream fake". I'v bought many authentic Mantle photos for less than that.

We would love to see some of those right here.

johnmh71 06-12-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1145405)
We would love to see some of those right here.

lol. Me too Richard.

thetruthisoutthere 06-12-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1145205)
Thank you Travis for providing the line by line breakdown of an obvious, slowly drawn, malformed fake. You are truly an expert!

By the way, how's the analysis going on the Jim Corbett autograph someone posted a month ago? Been too busy breaking down documented Mantle forgery styles to get to it?

Thank goodness for Travis.

That was hilarious, Mr. Zipper.

travrosty 06-12-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13thinning2013 (Post 1145187)
Thanks Trav for the info on that.

you are welcome

shelly 06-12-2013 08:34 PM

Not to be anything but kind. Travis, why would you ever leave the place that everyone trust you. Baseball to you is like Walt Disney to me.:confused:

travrosty 06-13-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1145514)
Not to be anything but kind. Travis, why would you ever leave the place that everyone trust you. Baseball to you is like Walt Disney to me.:confused:

so you are saying i am wrong then? okay prove it then.

travrosty 06-13-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1145205)

If it is obvious why do people keep posting them again and again asking for help on what to look for and for opinions on whether they are good or not?

I showed him something to look for and he thanked me for it. What's wrong with that? What did I do to get a response from you like that? Was my observation wrong?

earlywynnfan 06-13-2013 08:07 AM

Shelly and Steve, I have to say, his post was far more useful than the basic stamp of "Good" or "No Good" that many of you reply with.

Ken

David Atkatz 06-13-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1145621)
Shelly and Steve, I have to say, his post was far more useful than the basic stamp of "Good" or "No Good" that many of you reply with.

Ken

+1

autograf 06-13-2013 12:26 PM

To the OP.....don't just assume that now that you have an iPad and you can pull up a 'real', verified signature that you can quickly look at it and make an assumption. To the untrained eye, some of these forgeries are REALLY good--especially all the Mantle and Ted Williams ones. Things pointed out earlier are great identifying factors but unless you've spent a TON of time on these autographs it's not like it's second nature to look at an iPad screen, the physical item in front of you and assume you can make a quick decision......just my opinion.....

Mr. Zipper 06-13-2013 12:55 PM

Well, since the opinions of knowledgeable people aren't very "useful" without accompanying graphics, my suggestion is that those who don't have the time or inclination to offer supporting documentation with their opinion should refrain from offering opinions. Let's see how many opinions we get.

Good move. Nice way to look a gift horse in the mouth.

http://www.comiccollecting.org/forum...icon_e_doh.gif

Mr. Zipper 06-13-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travrosty (Post 1145581)
If it is obvious why do people keep posting them again and again asking for help on what to look for and for opinions on whether they are good or not?

I showed him something to look for and he thanked me for it. What's wrong with that? What did I do to get a response from you like that? Was my observation wrong?

You were spot on in your analysis. You could have mentioned the drawn, heavy and labored appearance was a dead giveaway without even needing to bother with letter formation analysis, but to each his own.

By the way, how's the analysis going on the Jim Corbett autograph someone posted a month ago?

Paulanthony 06-13-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travrosty (Post 1145581)

The observation and explanation given is exactly how a bad autograph should be addressed. The no good answer or frown face does not contribute much to the hobby.

thetruthisoutthere 06-13-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1145745)
You were spot on in your analysis. You could have mentioned the drawn, heavy and labored appearance was a dead giveaway without even needing to bother with letter formation analysis, but to each his own.

By the way, how's the analysis going on the Jim Corbett autograph someone posted a month ago?

+1