Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My hobby history collection in SCD (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272199)

trdcrdkid 08-10-2019 09:33 AM

My hobby history collection in SCD

I’m normally not one to toot my own horn too much, but George Vrechek’s article about me and my collection of hobby history materials just appeared in the online version of Sports Collectors Digest. Here’s the link:

https://www.sportscollectorsdigest.c...hobby-history/

toppcat 08-10-2019 09:37 AM

David, your hobby pubs collection is something I am envious of in spades. A well deserved article for sure!

horzverti 08-10-2019 09:42 AM

Great write-up about you David. Awesome library!

Leon 08-10-2019 09:57 AM

Baseball Card Society Charter Membership Herein Stated

1 Attachment(s)
The accolades are well deserved. And I, too, am envious of your hobby publication collection. Good luck to you and your pursuits and thanks again for sharing.

trdcrdkid 08-10-2019 10:33 AM

Wow, Leon, that’s quite an honor. I hope I can live up to the confidence Whitey, Bob, and Yogi have in me.

ALBB 08-10-2019 01:00 PM

Scd

David, not for nothing but... toot toot !!! that's a nice collection

SteveMitchell 08-10-2019 01:03 PM

Very Impressive Man and Collection

Had to stop mid-article just to say David has a very impressive resume' and collection. It's a pleasure to have corresponded a little with him.

This part of the article tickled my funny bone:

"As [hobby legend "Buck"] Barker humorously wrote in a 1960 Card Collector’s Bulletin about advanced collectors, “In order to obtain a few cards every month, he must write many fruitless letters and keep hot on the chase, but the disappointments will be many. Often there is no use writing old friends as none will have anything for trade. Then he’s reduced to writing articles, a sad state indeed.”"

Having been one, whatever motivates one is fine with any editor-publisher. Just get us something of value to print!

Thanks, Dave, for sharing this great article and for all your contributions! Also, thanks to George Vrechek for writing some of the most interesting articles ever featured in our hobby publications.

ALR-bishop 08-10-2019 02:21 PM

Bravo

Rickyy 08-11-2019 01:09 AM

What a fantastic collection...loved reading the article!

Ricky Y

Ronnie73 08-11-2019 02:53 AM

Great article!! It's been 30+ years and I still remember looking forward to getting the mail after school and hoping for one of the many publications I was subscribed to. SCD was probably my favorite. It was packed with articles and advertisements that kept me busy till a week later when a new SCD would show up. I also got Coin World weekly, Linn's Stamp News every other week, and there was a comic book one but I only got that for about a year. I first started getting Coin World in 1982 when I was 9 years old and then SCD in 1987.

Jason 08-11-2019 06:29 AM

Great article David and a very deserving and important collection imo. I’m glad it was added to the Net54 archive as well.

gabrinus 08-11-2019 07:07 AM

Great

Great article David...I appreciate your knowledge of the hobby...Jerry

IMAXMAX 08-11-2019 08:51 AM

HP

bravo David!
absolutely well deserved,,,I always look forward to your hobby history posts here on Net54, so please keep 'em coming!

rjackson44 08-11-2019 10:39 AM

Terrific wow

ibuysportsephemera 08-11-2019 10:43 AM

I loved when SCD was "the" publication. I couldn't wait to get it....the more pages the better. If there is one thing I miss today, it is the large size SCD newspaper.

Jeff

barrysloate 08-11-2019 02:05 PM

David- I also appreciate your knowledge of Shakespeare, so I've got a trivia question for you:

In what play did Shakespeare pay tribute to Christopher Marlowe?

trdcrdkid 08-11-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1907481)
David- I also appreciate your knowledge of Shakespeare, so I've got a trivia question for you:

In what play did Shakespeare pay tribute to Christopher Marlowe?

Touchstone in As You Like It
“Dead shepherd, now I find the saw of might,
Who ever loved that loved not at first sight.”

Also in that play there’s a line, “it will strike a man more dead than a great reckoning in a little room”, which appears to be a reference to Marlowe’s death in a brawl over the “Reckoning” at Eleanor Bull’s tavern.

barrysloate 08-11-2019 02:40 PM

Well done!

RCMcKenzie 08-11-2019 03:45 PM

I thought they were the same guy.

Very nice collection of hobby publications, David. Fun stuff to see.

Leon 08-13-2019 09:43 AM

If you collect those old papers they sure take up a lot of room!! I think David (or someone) got all of mine as I had to bail. Plus they were a little newer than I normally collect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 1907418)
I loved when SCD was "the" publication. I couldn't wait to get it....the more pages the better. If there is one thing I miss today, it is the large size SCD newspaper.

Jeff

Ronnie73 08-13-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1908056)
If you collect those old papers they sure take up a lot of room!! I think David (or someone) got all of mine as I had to bail. Plus they were a little newer than I normally collect.

I only saved the covers of many of the SCD's and a few of the special issues because of the space it took up. I now wish I had the room to keep them all back then.

trdcrdkid 08-13-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1908056)

Leon, I got your BHNs (Baseball Hobby News) and maybe a few other things. I already had a run of SCDs.

Leon 08-14-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trdcrdkid (Post 1908127)
Leon, I got your BHNs (Baseball Hobby News) and maybe a few other things. I already had a run of SCDs.

As I recall there were either 2 or 3, 50+lbs. boxes I sent to you. I guess that is a few other things. :)
And a letter from Buck to Walt (Corson)

http://luckeycards.com/poletterbarker.jpg
http://luckeycards.com/poletterbarkerb.jpg

jsq 10-29-2019 09:51 PM

Dave, really appreciate all you have done for the hobby and sharing all the cool old articles and information.
all the best

whiteymet 10-30-2019 12:35 AM

Congrats Dave! Super article.

Best wishes going forward

Fred

topcat61 10-30-2019 09:37 AM

This is quite excellent! Thank's for sharing and great write-up.