Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Show us your "unique" (1 of 1) T206 cards. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=236595)

tedzan 03-20-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ty_cobb (Post 1639426)
I'm not sure what I have left of 1 of 1s? But I must have had a few at one time as I had many Red Hindus,,,, my favorite one of one is the T206 Eddie Collins batting though,

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreader3 (Post 1639429)
My favorite of all time. I would rather have that than the Wagner any day.

Hi Scot

That's quite a statement....regarding your preference for the Collins (with bat) card over the Wagner card !

Do you have any theory's why American Litho printed him, but withheld him ?

TED Z

CMIZ5290 03-20-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1643105)
Hi Scot

That's quite a statement....regarding your preference for the Collins (with bat) card over the Wagner card !

TED Z

No way over a Wagner or a Cobb/Cobb back....Please...

PhillipAbbott79 03-20-2017 06:49 PM

I suppose in theory you can always locate and purchase another Wagner if you had enough funds.

There are only a few cosmological events that could occur for you to get a shot at the Collins proof.

sycks22 03-20-2017 07:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Scraperton

sreader3 03-20-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1643105)
Hi Scot

TED Z

Hi Ted,

Your theories are as good (probably better) than mine about the great enigma Collins (With Bat) proof. I tend to think that American Tobacco didn't get his written authorization back by the deadline in winter/spring 1909 and, since he was an emerging star and a Columbia grad (i.e. a smart guy), decided to remove him from printing. Maybe he even explicitly objected or threatened them with a lawsuit -- can you imagine if he did that and someone produced the letter 108 years later? Now that would be big!

I have no strong evidence that delayed (or lack of) authorization was the reason Collins (With Bat) wasn't printed. But consider the portraits in the 350-only series. The Hall of Famers are basically Eddie Collins, minor leaguers (Beckley and Jimmy Collins) and Rube Marquard (who didn't emerge as a star until 1911). Makes no sense that Eddie Collins would be printed as a 350-only portrait unless there was some sort of unusual delay. My best guess is that Collins (With Bat) and Collins (Portrait, Philadelphia) were both supposed to be 150/350 releases, but ATC was forced to delay and mothballed the With Bat version entirely.

Scot

EDITED TO ADD: For those who are unaware, the American Tobacco Company sought written permission from the players who it wished to include in the set we now (thanks to Jefferson Burdick) call T206:

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_96.html

ty_cobb 03-22-2017 06:39 PM

Collins Proof

I do remember the T206 Collins Proof was found at the same time as 8 or so Southern Leaguers (also un-issued). He was the only major league player. I don't have a better explanation for it not appearing , perhaps the permission letter theory is as good as any. I believe R.L. bought the card for the princely sum of $18,, oh how the times have changed,,,

MVSNYC 03-23-2017 05:26 AM

What we have to remember, proofs were not only made to make sure colors and registration were correct, but furthermore, it was a final approval stage for production. Just a thought here, there might've been a bunch of designs that were scraped because they weren't visually appealing. Not saying the Collins is ugly, but the pose and his stance are a little awkward, IMO. Not a card I'd take over a Wagner. ;)