Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wonderful Gift from Greg Morris (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=266026)

Howe’s Hunter 02-20-2019 12:23 PM

Wonderful Gift from Greg Morris

2 Attachment(s)
As many of you probably know from a previous thread, Greg had started to list 11 cards that had Howe's stamp on the back that I had previously lost track of. I outed the auctions here on the board, just asking folks to keep an eye out for the next six cards from that group as they came out.

During the auction of those first five, Greg had reached out and told me to supply him with a mailing address, he would send me the other six and we'd agree to a price after I had them in hand.

At the end of those first five card auctions, prices were much greater than I would have expected for common, stamped T206s. I ended up winning only two of the five cards and responded back to Greg that if I were him, I would go ahead and list the other six in hopes of getting results like those from the first five. Business is business, he's in the business of selling cards, and I've known since the beginning that I wasn't going to get every Howe-stamped card I found. But he insisted, and after paying my invoice for the two I won, I received my cards Monday, along with the other six. I contacted Greg again and asked what I owed him for the total of eight cards, and he said he was just glad to help with the rebuild of the collection, and there was no additional charge.

I think that is a pretty awesome gesture on his part, and I am very grateful. Thanks to everyone on the board who has given me a heads-up when they see one of Howe's cards come up for auction, for the offers to be bidding partners in auctions where there are cards I'm not interested in along with Howe's cards, and for the cards that arrive randomly in the mail to go in to the rebuilt collection. Without the help of the members of the Net54 board, this collection wouldn't exist. Thanks again to everyone.

Sorry for the pitiful scan.

Lorewalker 02-20-2019 12:29 PM

Congrats to you on the pick up and hats off to Greg for the very thoughtful gesture. Not sure many, or any, dealers would have done the same or even cared.

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-20-2019 12:29 PM

Very cool, and an unbelievable gesture on Greg's part.

jchcollins 02-20-2019 12:29 PM

Very cool.

nsaddict 02-20-2019 12:32 PM

Wow, that is a grand gesture. Didn’t expect anything to that level as I read your title. Kudos to GM, sounds like they went to a good home.

Congrats...

CuriousGeorge 02-20-2019 12:41 PM

Now you should do the right thing and send Greg a check for the approximate amount of the value of the six cards. Then each side gets what they want and nobody gets hurt.

Jobu 02-20-2019 12:58 PM

I disagree.

Greg gave him a gift and likely feels good about making a contribution to the collection -- and this was after Ed had already discussed buying them and after Ed suggested that Greg list them to maximize his returns.

I sent a nice card to someone as a gift - he didn't have enough $$ in the card account to buy one, but I knew it would be really special to him. I said I would return any payment he tried to send. I still feel good about making a fellow collector's day, and arguing about payment for my gift would have made it a lot less fun for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge (Post 1856576)
Now you should do the right thing and send Greg a check for the approximate amount of the value of the six cards. Then each side gets what they want and nobody gets hurt.

commishbob 02-20-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1856583)
I disagree.

Greg gave him a gift and likely feels good about making a contribution to the collection -- and this was after Ed had already discussed buying them and after Ed suggested that Greg list them to maximize his returns.

I sent a nice card to someone as a gift - he didn't have enough $$ in the card account to buy one, but I knew it would be really special to him. I said I would return any payment he tried to send. I still feel good about making a fellow collector's day, and arguing about payment for my gift would have made it a lot less fun for me.

This, all day.

That was an awesome gesture on GM's part.

Bpm0014 02-20-2019 01:17 PM

Disagree as well

bnorth 02-20-2019 01:17 PM

That is a great thing that Greg done. Always happy to see such nice things happen in the hobby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1856583)
I disagree.

^^THIS^^ Well said:)

clydepepper 02-20-2019 01:19 PM

It is nice to see the big fish occasionally feeding the small fish instead of always gobbling up.

Big Fan of Greg Morris!

x2drich2000 02-20-2019 02:31 PM

I'll disagree with most of the other posts in this thread. I think Greg pulling these cards out and sending them to Ed was awesome gesture and Ed has one of the best collections I know about. However, if you go back to the original post by Greg in the other thread, he made it clear that Ed should send him what he thinks is fair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregmorris818 (Post 1852234)
Hi Ed,

Send me your address and I'll send you the balance of what I have. Once you receive the cards, you can paypal me what you think is fair.

Greg

Greg didn't give a price. He left that up to Ed to decide and so now Ed should decide what is fair for those cards. Had Greg originally said he would send them no charge, or even didn't make a reference to a payment, I would have no problem looking at this as purely a great gift, but that's not what Greg originally agreed to do.

DJ

gregmorris818 02-20-2019 02:46 PM

It was a gift. I do not expect nor would I accept payment.

Greg

Jason 02-20-2019 02:49 PM

Class act! Glad to see the collection grow.

Howe’s Hunter 02-20-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregmorris818 (Post 1856639)
It was a gift. I do not expect nor would I accept payment.

Greg

Thanks again, Greg.

MartyFromCANADA 02-20-2019 03:08 PM

Awesome!

CuriousGeorge 02-20-2019 03:24 PM

And that is mighty magnanimous of Greg to do however reading the initial thread it is quite clear that was not his original intention. Sometimes though you need to take the temperature of your surroundings and swallow. Nevertheless, I commend Greg, regardless of how he got there.

ALBB 02-20-2019 03:31 PM

greg

Yes
Get a thermometer and check the reading . And then snap a photo of a rare yellow Swallow

Ricky 02-20-2019 03:39 PM

Greg - kudos to you. Your gesture is what always made this hobby great and is too rarely seen today at a time when money has gone crazy in the hobby.

toppcat 02-20-2019 04:29 PM

On a day where I am very much questioning if there are any decent people left in the world, this pops up and reminds me not everyone sucks.

DaveW 02-20-2019 04:52 PM

Nice gesture Greg!

midmo 02-20-2019 05:04 PM

Very cool! Just curious Ed, how many cards are back in the collection now?

Howe’s Hunter 02-20-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midmo (Post 1856705)
Very cool! Just curious Ed, how many cards are back in the collection now?

With Greg’s gift, the collection stands at 336. Thanks to so many for their help with this strange project.

NYYFan63 02-20-2019 06:16 PM

Awesome gesture by Greg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polakoff 02-20-2019 06:46 PM

I've never bought from Greg on ebay despite seeing his auctions all the time, but I'll be sure to go out of my way to bid now. Anyone who contributes to my favorite collection is A-OK in my book!

packs 02-20-2019 07:06 PM

You probably get asked this all the time but have you ever been able to get in contact with his living relatives?

Howe’s Hunter 02-20-2019 07:20 PM

He has only one living relative, or one that had actually met him and knew him. His second cousin Don still lives in the Gainesville area and we have spoken, although not for probably five years. Good reminder I should reach out to him once again and see how he is doing. Don was able to provide me with two of the four images of Howe I’ve ever been able to find, along with an interior image of the grocery store the family lived above, and the place I’m guessing most of the cards came from.

hcv123 02-20-2019 07:27 PM

Gotta love it!

Great gift Greg! As has been said it is gestures like that which are both good for the hobby, good for business and a reminder of the good in humanity. I believe I have purchased from you before and will be quicker to do so again. Congrats Ed.

jbsports33 02-20-2019 08:07 PM

Outstanding!

RedsFan1941 02-20-2019 08:26 PM

anyone who doesn’t send ed the cards he needs for this collection just doesn’t understand what true collecting is all about

HawkFan70 02-20-2019 08:39 PM

This thread is why I love the hobby!

eliminator 02-20-2019 09:04 PM

I’ve had multiple purchases with Greg Morris on EBay. His EBAY policy that you can keep an invoice open (with a capped shipping charge) for the better part of a week while you chase down cards is definitely buyer friendly. I recently had an issue with one card I purchased and the return was dealt with quickly and professionally.

Kudos to Greg Morris on giving back to the hobby!

T206Collector 02-21-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsfan1941 (Post 1856769)
anyone who doesn’t send ed the cards he needs for this collection just doesn’t understand what true collecting is all about

+1000

Bpm0014 02-21-2019 10:26 AM

Great gesture by Greg Morris!

Ricky 02-21-2019 01:29 PM

If anyone else is feeling particularly magnaminous, I really, really need a Cracker Jack Ty Cobb... :)

BruceinGa 02-22-2019 05:55 AM

Super gesture on GM's part!!

scottglevy 02-22-2019 06:32 AM

Karma is a strong thing. I had heard of Greg Morris and have almost certainly bought cards from him In The past but had a “neutral feeling” not knowing anything good or bad about him. A post like this makes me far more likely to bid in his auctions and even pay a slight premium - as with others that I truly like in the hobby.

I personally do not believe that any additional payment is needed or wanted. Why devalue Greg’s wonderful gesturethat will come back manyfold.

PS. Amazing job chasing down as many of Howe’s cards as you can. I remember selling you one or two commons well over a decade ago!

hoot-owl 02-23-2019 04:53 AM

One of the coolest collections in the entire hobby. I would love to find one of these so I could send it your way.

h2oya311 02-23-2019 06:45 AM

Admittedly, I was a little leery of the bevy of GMCards listings showing up on eBay with scans that had a blue background. They looked way too much like some other infamous sellers of raw baseball cards (ahem, battlefield), although the title usually made it clear of condition. Thanks for helping me take a second look. I will buy from GMCards given this new info, although I think he should try sticking with the black background for scans...the blue was a definite red flag, and some of the scans of exhibit cards “bled” into the white of the cards (not sure how).