Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Bible Quoting Ball player (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=159796)

ALR-bishop 12-05-2012 01:19 PM

Bible Quoting Ball player

I do not collect minor League cards but a friend sent me these. Is James Ramsey the future Tim Tebow of baseball ? And who could not root for a guy with the name Roughned Odor to make it to the big show ? The scans are not good, but the 5 biblical quotes are 1 Cor 10:31, Romans 6:13,Galatians 2:20, 2 Cor 4:5, and Romans 8:28.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1354738108

Matthew80 12-05-2012 08:31 PM

I like that's he personalized them to a greater degree than most. I think it'd be neat if more players took the time to share something even more personal about themselves like this.

And amen on rooting for someone with a name like his!

I can't think of anything else I'd include, but if I were a ballplayer I'd like to do something similar. Maybe I'd add Metallica to the bottom of them :)

mcadams 01-20-2013 12:32 PM

Bible Verses on Autos

This phenomenon is not new. When I used to go to spring training in the 80's and 90's, there were LOTS of players that would sign cards and balls with bible verses. A few that come to mind are Sid Bream and John Wetteland. I believe John Burkett did this for a while as well.

ALR-bishop 01-20-2013 12:57 PM

Quotes

Previously I had seen Bible verses on cards via personalized autographs by a player , Bream being one, I just had not seen them come from the manufacturer that way. But I am normally just a Topps/Fleer collector myself

sycks22 01-21-2013 11:38 AM

A lot of Bryce Harper's autos have Bible verses on them. That is a sweet name.

chaddurbin 01-21-2013 05:05 PM

you see alot of this with ttm...cal eldred, mark eichhorn, david robinson etc.

mattsey9 01-22-2013 08:04 PM

Tommy Herr sent me a bible pamphlet back in the 80's along with an autograph.

Jayworld 01-24-2013 09:58 AM

Back in the day when I sent out cards for autographs (in the 1970s-early 80s), I got two back with Bible verses. Both from the Padres; Dave Roberts signed my card and sent back a signed tract testimonial, and Eric Show signed my 1984 Topps card with a Bible verse.

theshleps 01-24-2013 10:20 AM

Bible verses

I would get alot when going in person for autographs. I'd often ask the player what the verse was as I was truly interested. One player didn't know. Some would write the Bible citation but it would be too scribbled to make it out which defeats the purpose.
Then notoriously bad signers like Bryce Harper shouldn't put verses. If you are going to be nasty and turn lots of folks down and then put a verse when you sign it doesn't encourage people and speak highly of the player and his beliefs.
There wasn't a great correlation between who put a verse and who was nice to fans. That is unfortunate

Harliduck 01-24-2013 11:32 PM

I remember being an 8 year old kid at the old Kingdome in Seattle and waiting for my favorite player at the time for an autograph, Tim Foli. He signed three cards and a ball for me, and on all of them he listed Romans 8:28, like mentioned above. I thought that was pretty cool, and couldn't wait to get home and look the verse up. Great memory. When I wrote my first hunting book I put that verse at the begining of the book as an homage to Mr. Foli.

Robextend 02-02-2013 09:47 PM

I got one from Frank Tanana and the late Darrell Porter

mzentko 02-28-2013 09:46 AM

Rick Horton and Cal Eldred signed with verses for me one year during a Cardinal Caravan event. They seemed to enjoy when I said the verse back to them and thanked them for including it

dgo71 02-28-2013 08:50 PM

Literally hundreds of players do this. The one that always stands out to me was Paul Byrd, who would fill the card with verses and inscriptions such as "God Bless".

Another was Joe Winkelsas who pitched briefly for Atlanta and Milwaukee. His signature eventually became a huge bible verse with only "Wink" written very small underneath. But Wink was easily the most religious ballplayer I've ever met.

Alvin Davis added "PTL" for "Praise the Lord" and Bernie Williams adds "SDG" for "Solo a Dios la gloria" which translates roughly to "Only to God, the Glory." Tony Batista wrote the lengthiest inscription I've ever seen. I couldn't begin to recall it from memory, but he wrote out an entire passage, in Spanish, which took up the entire bottom half of the card.

Other I can recall adding verses, at one time or another, were:

Mark Eichhorn
Micah Owings
Oddibe McDowell
Jerry Gleaton
Bill Sampen (now a minister)
Scott Fletcher
Phil Bradley

I know there are tons more but I cannot immediately recall their names.

Wymers Auction 02-28-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayworld (Post 1077753)
Back in the day when I sent out cards for autographs (in the 1970s-early 80s), I got two back with Bible verses. Both from the Padres; Dave Roberts signed my card and sent back a signed tract testimonial, and Eric Show signed my 1984 Topps card with a Bible verse.

Eric Show wow what a memory. His claim to fame is giving up a record breaking hit to Pete Rose.

ALR-bishop 03-01-2013 07:15 AM

Bible Quotes

Folks---I started this thread and was aware players sign with quotes all the time. But is anyone aware of other cards that came from the manufacturer with the quote(s) in/on the original card ? I was just wondering if that was unusual

roarfrom34 03-12-2013 07:50 AM

The very first In Person autograph I ever got with a Bible verse was the Astro's Rob Andrews back in 1980 or so

SmokyBurgess 03-12-2013 08:02 AM

bible verses

The only one I received in the mail was from Braves' pitcher Jose Alvarez. He explained in a letter he was not signing the Topps card I sent because of the "Garbage Pail" issues.

But I still have the nice letter he sent.