Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #181 Is this one real? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=264644)

Sworth14 01-16-2019 08:46 PM

1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #181 Is this one real?

3 Attachment(s)
So I bought a ton of cards from a collector today and inside was a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth. Looks old and feels old, but after looking online I cannot find a definitive answer. So I was wanting to get an idea before I pay a couple hundred bucks to send it in to PSA. So help me out please! I attached pics so hopefully I did it right.

Attachment 341026Attachment 341025

RedsFan1941 01-16-2019 08:52 PM

it is a reprint

Tom S. 01-16-2019 08:58 PM

reprint

Save your money - it looks like a reprint to me too.

vthobby 01-16-2019 10:18 PM

Bad.....

BAD!!!!!!

Peace, Mike

mantlefan 01-16-2019 10:33 PM

Nope

Not real.

brianp-beme 01-17-2019 12:54 AM

No good.

Brian

ALBB 01-17-2019 04:53 AM

Ruth

looks good on surface

Bliggity 01-17-2019 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBB (Post 1846166)
looks good on surface

It does not. 100% fake.

robkas68 01-17-2019 05:24 AM

grading the Ruth

I personally doubt it is authentic, but if you ever have a card of questionable authenticity, financially I would think it makes more sense to send it to Beckett first since they tend to base their fees on turnaround time rather than cost of the item. While I don't believe that Beckett is as good as PSA or SGC, I would assume they would do a reasonably competent job of identifying a card as authentic. If it is not, you wasted $40. If a card is real and Beckett slabs it, you can always cross to PSA.

deadballpaul 01-17-2019 05:27 AM

Reprint.

Leon 01-17-2019 05:56 AM

Whomever doesn't see that is a reprint, in a split second, hasn't been doing this long enough. It is laughable it is so bad.

Buythatcard 01-17-2019 06:03 AM

Not everyone sees the signs that it is a fake. Those who say it is a fake should give their reasons. This way the OP can learn to detect these in the future.

Just saying its a fake really doesn't help the OP.;)

Sworth14 01-17-2019 06:13 AM

What makes everyone so sure it is a reprint? I thought it was when I got it, but I have no clue.

Leon 01-17-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sworth14 (Post 1846178)
What makes everyone so sure it is a reprint? I thought it was when I got it, but I have no clue.

A real one is now next to the poor looking fake in your first post. See the differences in print quality? Yours looks all washed out compared to the other real one that looks crisp. That is how to tell.

ullmandds 01-17-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sworth14 (Post 1846178)

Send it to tpg’er if you think its real.

darwinbulldog 01-17-2019 06:49 AM

Many, myself included, are hesitant to list the noticeable signs that it is fake on the internet since counterfeiters can learn from that information. However, this one, as Leon suggests, is not a good fake. No one who has looked at several thousand 1933 Goudeys over the years would need more than about half a second to assess that it looks all wrong. It's like looking at a picture of Daniel Day-Lewis in costume as Abraham Lincoln and recognizing that he's supposed to look like Lincoln, and he does kinda look like Lincoln I suppose, but it's obvious that it isn't a photo of Lincoln himself. If you had to say what the evidence is you could certainly do it, but it just feels sort of self-evident if you've grown up seeing pictures of Lincoln.

ullmandds 01-17-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1846184)
Many, myself included, are hesitant to list the noticeable signs that it is fake on the internet since counterfeiters can learn from that information. However, this one, as Leon suggests, is not a good fake. No one who has looked at several thousand 1933 Goudeys over the years would need more than about half a second to assess that it looks all wrong. It's like looking at a picture of Daniel Day-Lewis in costume as Abraham Lincoln and recognizing that he's supposed to look like Lincoln, and he does kinda look like Lincoln I suppose, but it's obvious that it isn't a photo of Lincoln himself. If you had to say what the evidence is you could certainly do it, but it just feels sort of self-evident if you've grown up seeing pictures of Lincoln.

Agreed! Also...what did this large collection consist of? Cards from 80’s-present with a goudey ruth thrown in? Use your head. Look for comparables on the internet...it only takes a few minutes. And if you don’t have the ability to critically analyze these cards to determine if they’re real or fake you should not be buying them ungraded.

irv 01-17-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Exactly! How many times have we seen this? One or 2 posts from a newbie when the info is gathered and then never heard from again. :mad:

RedsFan1941 01-17-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

i agree. the guy asked if it was real because he didn’t want to waste money sending it to psa. the responses he received tells him he would be wasting that money. so I think telling him it’s fake does help him.

swarmee 01-17-2019 09:20 AM

All the OP has to do is to click the button up top labeled "Net54 Archive Center" and read all the articles at the bottom of the page.

Sworth14 01-18-2019 08:09 AM

No reason to be rude. I already said I thought it was a fake. I know he would not have given it up if it was real. Just wanted peoples opinions before I paid money for it. is the first time i have had my hands on a Goudey real or fake. Everything I found the internet was less then helpful. I know it is still an old card worth next to nothing, but i was curious. Didn't mean to offend any professionals on here, just the first one in have had. Everything else I got from him is 100% authentic. This was one I wasnt sure about. Thanks you to everyone who helped without being a jerk. The rest of you, relax, it was just a damn question.

Leon 01-18-2019 08:22 AM

I didn't really see anyone being a jerk or rude? I had said it was easy to tell and not even close. Then I put a real one next to your fake one in the first post so you could see for yourself. You might need a bit thicker skin if you think folks were being a jerk. They weren't. They were trying to be helpful. My 22 yrs old daughter is also anti-confrontational. She wouldn't do well here. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sworth14 (Post 1846529)
No reason to be rude. I already said I thought it was a fake. I know he would not have given it up if it was real. Just wanted peoples opinions before I paid money for it. is the first time i have had my hands on a Goudey real or fake. Everything I found the internet was less then helpful. I know it is still an old card worth next to nothing, but i was curious. Didn't mean to offend any professionals on here, just the first one in have had. Everything else I got from him is 100% authentic. This was one I wasnt sure about. Thanks you to everyone who helped without being a jerk. The rest of you, relax, it was just a damn question.

Sworth14 01-18-2019 06:56 PM

You weren't the one being rude. People kept saying that I should know and how in the world could I not know. When I have never had one of these before. I had seen one like your picture before, but I wasnt sure about mine because it was darker. It's still an old card, just wish it would have been legit.

Jewish-collector 01-18-2019 07:29 PM

Sometimes you just gotta say, "What the Fake" :D

bobbyw8469 01-18-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 1846745)
Sometimes you just gotta say, "What the Fake" :D

That wasn't even a good fake.

Orioles1954 01-18-2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sworth14 (Post 1846736)
You weren't the one being rude. People kept saying that I should know and how in the world could I not know. When I have never had one of these before. I had seen one like your picture before, but I wasnt sure about mine because it was darker. It's still an old card, just wish it would have been legit.

It appears to be a "Dover Reprint" in that the perforated corners/edges appear to have been filed down. The printing is washed out and the foundation appears to be artificially aged. I'm willing to be the construction is also not close to legit 1933 Goudeys.

Sworth14 01-19-2019 07:38 AM

It feels thicker then a normal card. I have never had my hands on any Goudey's. I don't believe the card is artificially aged. I legitimately think the card is old. Probably from the 60's is my guess. So if someone can possibly help me out on what year they think it may be, I would appreciate it.

ullmandds 01-19-2019 07:47 AM

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=898052