Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Ultimate 'This Guy Doesn't Have a Tribute Thread Yet' Tribute Thread: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=259303)

clydepepper 08-29-2018 04:38 AM

The Ultimate 'This Guy Doesn't Have a Tribute Thread Yet' Tribute Thread:

1 Attachment(s)
No offense to Mr. Virdon - I'm just saying, 'Really?'

Attachment 327145

Exhibitman 08-29-2018 01:18 PM

Nah, the ultimate would be Sixto Lezcano. The bane of my card collecting existence as a kid. Every year I seemed to end up with a dozen Lezcano cards and only one Hank Aaron.

mr2686 08-29-2018 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The only person that truly deserves a tribute thread...based on this card alone.

clydepepper 08-29-2018 04:46 PM

Mr. Widmar was chosen randomly...which was the point.

SAllen2556 08-30-2018 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1808703)
Mr. Widmar was chosen randomly...which was the point.

It can't be random though! No one chooses to collect Bill Virdon at random do they?

Maybe your dad was a mailman and Bill Virdon's house was on your dad's route. One day in the winter your dad was freezing and Bill Virdon invited him in for a nice hot cup of coffee. And ever since then your whole family has been big fans of Bill Virdon. And now you collect Bill Virdon.

My dad was a newspaper advertising photographer and one day he had to go take Milt Wilcox's picture for something and so he got Milt Wilcox to sign a couple of cards for me. So now I collect Milt Wilcox because he was cool to my dad.

Except I don't actually collect Milt Wilcox, but if I did it would make perfect sense. ;)

G1911 08-30-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1808679)
The only person that truly deserves a tribute thread...based on this card alone.

Every lot of 60’s cards I buy has this card in it. I must have 25 of them or so. I still can’t decide if I hate it or love it for it’s beautiful ugliness

commishbob 08-30-2018 04:11 PM

Love that card. Poking around I see that Zorro never played for the Pads. He was their property for about six weeks the off season of '68. I still remember how Phil Rizzuto would mangle his name during broadcasts and how eloquently Red Barber pronounced it.

MCoxon 08-30-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commishbob (Post 1808987)
Love that card. Poking around I see that Zorro never played for the Pads. He was their property for about six weeks the off season of '68. I still remember how Phil Rizzuto would mangle his name during broadcasts and how eloquently Red Barber pronounced it.

He won MVP in 1965! His 1965 Topps card with glasses is also a keeper.

I am of an age where the 1982 Kmart set burned into my brain the MVP winners from each league, each year, from 1962-1981, a recall which I retain to this day...the set shows Topps cards from the year that each MVP winner won (e.g., 1962 Topps Mantle, 1962 Topps Wills).

I remember as an 8-year old thinking, I could just cut-out the image of the original Topps card, and no one would notice...

brian1961 09-01-2018 05:43 PM

Zoilo Versalles truly played a key role for the fine 1965 Minnesota Twins, the first team since '59 to play in the World Series that was not the Yankees.

My mind recalls his radiant smile on his 1966 Topps card. It was beautiful. Sadly, as I also remember, after 1965, he never had another good year. By the time that pix was taken for his '69 Topps card, his precious smile was long gone. Poor Zoilo struggled with life in later years. I remember wincing as I read a story in The Trader Speaks or Sports Collectors Digest of Zoilo, in his car with his family, going to a dealer in Chicago to sell his baseball treasures, among them his 1965 AL MVP plaque. The dealer's name was Pat Quinn, and he truly was one of the good guys back then, and gave Zoilo as much as he could. I will always remember dear Mr. Quinn with in high regard for that.

In the end, at least Mr. Versalles had 1965, and his Twins forced the Dodgers to play all seven games to win the Series. That was a terrific World Series, and the first one I saw on TV.

A lot of players never had a year as Zoilo did. I salute his memory.

---Brian Powell