Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT - Hot News on the MLB Front (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=118686)

RichardSimon 12-14-2009 02:11 PM

OT - Hot News on the MLB Front

Lackey signs with Boston.
Phils , Seattle and Toronto in 3 way,,, Lee to Seattle, prospects to Toronto, Halladay to Phils.
--

Orioles1954 12-14-2009 02:12 PM

I think WWE Wrestling is less rigged than MLB.

kylebicking 12-14-2009 02:18 PM

website

Good website to follow if you are a big hot stove fan...

www.mlbtraderumors.com

barrysloate 12-14-2009 02:21 PM

Yikes...the Phils got rid of Cliff Lee already? He's too good to give up on so quickly.

And shouldn't this be in the hot stove section?

RichardSimon 12-14-2009 02:25 PM

I did not know there was a hot stove section here.
Phils got rid of Lee and took on Halladay because they can get a long term contract with Halladay but felt they could not with Lee.

tbob 12-14-2009 02:28 PM

Interestingly the Red Sox signing Lackey is a good thing for Twins fans. It means they won't have enough money to try and outbid the Twins for Joe Maurer and besides they now have Martinez behind the plate. Maybe with Halladay going to Philadelphia they won't be in the running either. Only the accursed Yankees loom on the horizon now. Joe staying with the Twins has just jumped from 50-50 to 70-30 ;)

Leon 12-14-2009 02:36 PM

Watercooler section

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 767789)
Lackey signs with Boston.
Phils , Seattle and Toronto in 3 way,,, Lee to Seattle, prospects to Toronto, Halladay to Phils.
--

Richard- Next time please put this sort of topic in the Watercooler section. Thanks for your participation on the board and happy holidays!!

Chris Counts 12-14-2009 03:38 PM

Unless the Phillies can't sign Lee, I think they're making a mistake trading him. Halladay isn't much older, but he's got a lot more wear and tear on him ...

calvindog 12-14-2009 03:47 PM

Well, the Phillies locked up an ace for years to come and whether it be Halladay or Lee they're in pretty good shape. As for the Jays, not sure what they were thinking other than shedding a a future salary they were unwilling or unable to pay.

As for Mauer, I don't think it makes much difference whether or not the Sox are in the chase; if the Yankees want him they'll get him.

scooter729 12-14-2009 03:50 PM

This is big for the Red Sox, especially if Jason Bay decides to move on elsewhere besides Boston.

Don't count the Sox out of another big move now either. Having Lackey could make Clay Buchholz expendable as trade bait, whether it be for Halladay, Adrian Gonzalez or who knows what else...

Chris Counts 12-14-2009 04:18 PM

I'm not sure why Adrian Gonzalez isn't getting more attention. Did anybody notice the season he had for the Padres last year? Playing in a pitcher's park with an anemic lineup surrounding him, he hit 40 home runs. Plus, he has a tremendous batting eye. I think he's the biggest prize available on the open market this year ...

Peter_Spaeth 12-14-2009 05:18 PM

You can probably count on one hand the number of guys who are 10 year+ veterans and have played for the same team since coming up. It seems loyalty has shifted from players to the "brand".

tbob 12-14-2009 09:18 PM

People in Minnesota are normally placid, quiet and reserved but if Buffet Bill Smith and the boys don't sign hometown hero Joe Maurer there will be an uproar among fans unwitnessed previously in MLB.
Maurer taking less money to stay at home and play for his home state team is not unprecedented, Kent Hrbek once did the same thing.
As a fan who has cheered for the Twins since their first year in the Twin Cities, I am holding my breath but confident Joe stays home.

mets41 12-14-2009 11:26 PM

I'd sooner root for the devil than the fillies. The last time I rooted for the fillies to win, Kennedy was president and there were only 8 National League teams.