Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Something you would never part with (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=278736)

Runscott 01-29-2020 01:04 PM

Something you would never part with

I know there are a lot of pure collectors here who rarely sell anything, but out of those of use who grow tired of things after saying they are the greatest things ever, is there anything?

For me it's a 1958 Mel Ott Detroit Tigers scorebook, which has a game played against the Yankees scored by Ott on my birthday. There are a few other items, but in all truthfulness, I do tend to get tired of things.

If I could re-make an old decision, today I would be saying the same thing about a 1909 Pirates litho that used to hang on the wall in Honus Wagner's office in Forbes Field.

Leon 01-29-2020 01:25 PM

Good question, Scott. The only thing of real value I didn't sell in my first collection sale was the Horner Composite hanging on my wall. But I am not even necessarily married to it. It is awesome and I love it...but it could be replaced by a new piece, though I am in no hurry.
Maybe the baseball card hobby periodicals/ephemera collection is something I will keep as it is so intriguing and so unique. And I don't guess all that valuable, relatively speaking.

https://luckeycards.com/poburdickletterfront.jpg

packs 01-29-2020 01:52 PM

Can't see myself ever selling this bad boy. When I was 10 Mattingly retired and I was heartbroken. My mom took me to the only card store anywhere near me and bought me a Mattingly rookie from the case.

After he got hired I went to the Marlins park during spring training to try my luck at getting Donnie to sign it. I've had the card for almost 20 years already. The autograph only makes it more important to me:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4360/3...9e67e2861c.jpg

When it comes to something I've bought for my collection, I can't see myself parting with this George Steinbrenner note. I love the Yankees and definitely overpaid for this. But I'm glad it's mine and only mine:

https://live.staticflickr.com/794/40...924f340635.jpg

Snapolit1 01-29-2020 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1923 Gehrig minor league Yankees - Hartford contract. You'd have to pry it out of my dead hands.

Bugsy 01-29-2020 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't imagine parting with this one...when the 1927 Yankees played in St. Paul.

JoeDfan 01-29-2020 02:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My James McGovern letter to a Mr. Wilson in Augusta; begging him for a chance to play on the team despite their "old sores".

It is from 1889, so it is old, it is one of a kind, it is baseball, and it is Maine.

And, although Mr. Wilson apparently did NOT forget "old sores"; Mr. McGovern really did get the chance to play ball in 1891. So it ended well.

Plus, he had really good handwriting.

Andy Sandler 01-29-2020 03:27 PM

pre-1930 California League and PCL baseball programs

1 Attachment(s)
One of the last things I would part with in my collection is a Pre-1930 California League or PCL baseball program. I also like any pre-1930 sports program that took place in southern California. Who else has these programs?
Thanks, Andy Sandler (914) 388-2940

Bumpus Jones 01-29-2020 03:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Great topic. Mine would probably have to be this columbia reds license plate topper. It's made of metal and has porcelain enamel graphics. I've lived in the area most of my life and the Cincinnati Reds are my team.

LEHR 01-29-2020 03:51 PM

I've got some great pieces in my collection but I've always said there is noting I wouldn't sell if the money was right. I can't take it with me and the hunt for something new is sometimes the best part anyway.:)

w7imel 01-29-2020 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this one broke my heart when I didnt get it won at an auction only to see it come back to me after guilting the guy who bought it into selling it to me because it belonged in the hands of a true Maris fan named Mike of course the 500 bucks I gave him above what he paid didnt hurt negotiations any...Haaa:D:D:D:D

hcv123 01-29-2020 04:31 PM

Similar to Paul

At the end of the day its just "stuff". Now if you asked me if there were items in my collection that no one in their right mind would be willing to offer me enough to tempt me to sell - YEAH! There are a couple dozen of those items! I have a handful of times been convinced by the "right price" to sell and haven't yet regretted any of those sales (some of the items I found again and some I haven't)

Howard

Case12 01-29-2020 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The last to go will be this cabinet photo of my great grandfather I found in my mom's box of letters. Valdosta Millionaires minor league.

bnorth 01-29-2020 05:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am sure the real market value of these is not much. I would sell them but you could buy a really nice house for less than it would take for me to part with them.

They are a only known 1990 Score Wade Boggs/Roger Clemens wrong back pair. I got them directly from Score back in the day. They also happen to feature my 2 favorite players.:D

68Hawk 01-29-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Case12 (Post 1951286)
The last to go will be this cabinet photo of my great grandfather I found in my mom's box of letters.

....that's brilliant.

I don't think I have any baseball stuff I couldn't be convinced to part with.
These are two things I'd struggle to let go, and the LFC season ticket means more to me than anyone else I know so super unlikely.:p

https://i917.photobucket.com/albums/...pspnynhiw1.jpg

https://i917.photobucket.com/albums/...psznfw40df.jpg

Huysmans 01-29-2020 07:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For myself, it would probably be this high-grade Reach turn-of-the-century catcher's mask that I've posted previously.
I was lucky to find it at a flea market years ago for a song, and I know if I sold it I'd never be able to replace it.

..... then again, if a substantial offer was made... who knows? :p

Snapolit1 01-29-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

The last to go will be this cabinet photo of my great grandfather I found in my mom's box of letters.

Wow. Wow. A family member. That’s really special.

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye 01-29-2020 07:38 PM

My Roy Sievers game used bat and the 1955 Bowman Mickey Mantle signed when I meant him.

commishbob 01-29-2020 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope it's OK to venture outside of baseball to answer this signed SI cover.

Back in 1971, I bumped into was bumped into by Muhammad Ali. That encounter resulted in this:

Attachment 383474

Nearly everything else in my collection I could replace if I chose to but this won't ever leave my possession.

The story, in case anyone is interested, is here on my blog.

MVSNYC 01-29-2020 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve, did Lou sign that copy of the contract? Awesome piece.

For me, it's this...my kids will get it.

Jeter Rookie Game Used & Signed Bat (PSA/DNA 10)

SyrNy1960 01-29-2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1951359)

Awesome Jeter Bat!

baseball tourist 01-30-2020 02:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I suggested to my family that when I go, to pls bury me wearing this, but I won’t be able to stop them from ignoring me; unless haunting someone is really possible!

Devon White’s home, 1992 World Series game worn jersey (photo matched to Games 1, 2 and 3). Game 3 was highlighted by Devo’s amazing centre field catch and the triple play that wasn’t given.

JoeDfan 01-30-2020 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commishbob (Post 1951344)
I hope it's OK to venture outside of baseball to answer this signed SI cover.

Back in 1971, I bumped into was bumped into by Muhammad Ali. That encounter resulted in this:

Attachment 383474

Nearly everything else in my collection I could replace if I chose to but this won't ever leave my possession.

The story, in case anyone is interested, is here on my blog.

When he bumped into you, did he give you that look also? If Ali looked at me like that, I would run the other way. :D

Snapolit1 01-30-2020 05:23 AM

No he did not. Which is the reason I could afford it without selling my home and emptying out my 401k and my wife’s IRA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1951359)

Jcfowler6 01-30-2020 06:15 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...aa92a7f9e2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3decb55a10.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...37bc847354.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ec48f63b0e.jpg

One of these. Probably the Dreyfus signed contract would be #1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bicem 01-30-2020 07:35 AM

Beautiful cabs!

ramram 01-30-2020 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If there's something I would take to my grave with me, I probably haven't bought it yet.

I suppose if there is anything, it would be this Topps basketball card for a couple of reasons; 1) because it's not worth anything and 2) because my family members are in the background (this image was also used on the Kings 1975 Playoff program).

Rob M

Attachment 383498

Mark 01-30-2020 08:52 AM

just one?

1 Attachment(s)
I have quite a few things that I'd never sell. this one leaps to mind. I got a pre-game foul ball off the bat of Jerry May, and I spent the rest of the game getting Pirates autos. I remember it like it was yesterday

sicollector1954 01-30-2020 08:54 AM

Last item

4 Attachment(s)
GREAT THREAD! The last item in my collection is not necessarily the most valuable except to have it defy many odds as to it happening.

Found this 1944-48 Lou Gehrig pro model bat in a barrel of bats at a flea market....took it in 1998 to a White Sox/Orioles game....talked my way past 3 security people because it is not usually allowed to bring a "bat" into the game.....made a huge sign asking Cal Ripken to sign "my bat".....and out of $16, 000 people attending the game that evening....this is the only item he signed...a lasting memory for sure. Several years later I saw him in person again and he remembered that bat!

Mark 01-30-2020 08:58 AM

just one?

These are great. The bats, the autos, everything. thanks!

mr2686 01-30-2020 10:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Probably my 50th anniversary HOF book. Been collecting sigs in it for over 30 years. Several from players that have passed, including this large perfect Mantle.

murphusa 01-30-2020 10:13 AM

I have sold everything I had twice. I do not miss one thing I had.

The second time I sold, I purchased a house at the Beach. Way more useful than a piece of cardboard or wood

TUM301 01-30-2020 10:16 AM

Can certainly see why you guys would forever want to hold on to such special items, awesome. For me, this short autographed note from Walter Johnson saying the one and only Joe Jackson was the best hitter he ever saw will most likely never leave. Really like the cross between one of the all-time great pitchers and my favorite collecting interest, Shoeless Joe.
https://live.staticflickr.com/4356/3...2c3f1548_c.jpg980AAED2-6A3D-4ABF-A23B-162D0D441ABD by Hugh Murphy, on Flickr

Calunitas1 01-30-2020 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 383525

AstroJake09 01-30-2020 05:49 PM

My father's game worn high school football jersey

2 Attachment(s)
When I was younger, I would always ask my dad what it was like for him as a high school quarterback, he would show me photos and old game film and newspaper clippings... I thought it was the best, he was my favorite athlete (still is) and I wanted to be just like him. When I eventually got to high school, I wan't able to play and follow in his footsteps. As a senior at Bothell High School, in 1991, he was their starter, listed at 5'7 and around 150 pounds. Although he was small, he played with a fire that was unmatched, leading the state of WA in passing yards for a vast majority of the season. The local newspapers even compared him to Doug Flutie. While in high school, my role in football was different as I was our student manager but still always looked up to my dad. The one thing he wasn't able to keep was his jersey as they were recycled for the next season. In 1992 however Bothell changed their uniforms. In 2016 I reached out to Bothell, asking if they kept any uniforms from 1991 and conected with a coach there. He asked for my address and a week later I recived a box. Inside the box was the jersey my dad wore during road games during his career from 1990-1991. According to the coach, they searched through multiple storage rooms and didn't find anything till they got to the last box. Upon opening the box they pulled out lineman jerseys untill getting to the jersey on the bottom of the box, it was my dad's, waiting for me after 25 years. After searching though photos I was able to find a few photos of him wearing it back in 1991, as a young carefree 18 year old kid, tearing it up in the Pacific Northwest. Nothing will ever top that jersey.

Snapolit1 01-30-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphusa (Post 1951453)

The second time I sold, I purchased a house at the Beach. Way more useful than a piece of cardboard or wood

Yet you still hang out on collecting chat board and make posts? Kind of odd. I assume you just bide your time and wait for opportunities like this to talk about having sold everything. Twice. To each his own I guess.

Scott Garner 01-30-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapolit1 (Post 1951602)
yet you still hang out on collecting chat board and make posts? Kind of odd. I assume you just bide your time and wait for opportunities like this to talk about having sold everything. Twice. To each his own i guess.

lol

RedsFan1941 01-30-2020 08:38 PM

i understand why you don’t post much anymore murph.

guy3050 01-30-2020 09:01 PM

Being a lifelong Montreal Expos Fan I would never get rid of these 2 items , 1st, my set of 5 opening day tickets to The Expos 1st home game ever ,and 2nd, my Autograph Roberto Clemente signed Program from a game at Jarry Park in 1969

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d6ea56eb_c.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1746 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...682725ab_c.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7097 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

conor912 01-30-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

The last to go will be this cabinet photo of my great grandfather I found in my mom's box of letters. Valdosta Millionaires minor league.

Wow, what a treasure!

Scott Garner 01-31-2020 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstroJake09 (Post 1951575)
When I was younger, I would always ask my dad what it was like for him as a high school quarterback, he would show me photos and old game film and newspaper clippings... I thought it was the best, he was my favorite athlete (still is) and I wanted to be just like him. When I eventually got to high school, I wan't able to play and follow in his footsteps. As a senior at Bothell High School, in 1991, he was their starter, listed at 5'7 and around 150 pounds. Although he was small, he played with a fire that was unmatched, leading the state of WA in passing yards for a vast majority of the season. The local newspapers even compared him to Doug Flutie. While in high school, my role in football was different as I was our student manager but still always looked up to my dad. The one thing he wasn't able to keep was his jersey as they were recycled for the next season. In 1992 however Bothell changed their uniforms. In 2016 I reached out to Bothell, asking if they kept any uniforms from 1991 and conected with a coach there. He asked for my address and a week later I recived a box. Inside the box was the jersey my dad wore during road games during his career from 1990-1991. According to the coach, they searched through multiple storage rooms and didn't find anything till they got to the last box. Upon opening the box they pulled out lineman jerseys untill getting to the jersey on the bottom of the box, it was my dad's, waiting for me after 25 years. After searching though photos I was able to find a few photos of him wearing it back in 1991, as a young carefree 18 year old kid, tearing it up in the Pacific Northwest. Nothing will ever top that jersey.

Awesome story, Jake! That's terrific & thanks for sharing this

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye 01-31-2020 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphusa (Post 1951453)

Good for you.

Hot Springs Bathers 01-31-2020 09:37 AM

Mike R.- I have done the same thing with my 1989 HOF book, the first I had sign it was Luke Appling, last year added Steve Carlton and it a couple of months I will be able to add Ted Simmons and Lee Smith.

murphusa 01-31-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1951602)
Yet you still hang out on collecting chat board and make posts? Kind of odd. I assume you just bide your time and wait for opportunities like this to talk about having sold everything. Twice. To each his own I guess.

yes I answer questions and try to help out others. I also still like to look at the stuff others come up with and they stories

Exhibitman 01-31-2020 10:26 AM

Not much of a reach for me:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...ler%20auto.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...Poster%201.jpg

Cousin Ray...

BTW, according to the poster he KO'd two HOFers (McLarnin, Terris) and beat a third (Petrolle).

Snapolit1 02-01-2020 07:53 AM

That makes perfect sense.

I sold my boat years ago. I hang out on chat boards where people excitedly talk about the boats they are going to buy and the fun they are going to have with their kids fishing. In order to help people out I tell them how stupid it is to own a boat and how relieved I am to have sold mine years ago. People have told me many times how helpful my comments are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphusa (Post 1951702)
yes I answer questions and try to help out others. I also still like to look at the stuff others come up with and they stories

SyrNy1960 02-01-2020 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
2009 Alex Rodriguez HR #575 and #576 Game Used Bat that he personally gave to me.

JoeDfan 02-01-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3arod13 (Post 1952083)
2009 Alex Rodriguez HR #575 and #576 Game Used Bat that he personally gave to me.

Oh, that is very cool.
How did you get him to do that? Is he your buddy or something?

SyrNy1960 02-01-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDfan (Post 1952084)
Oh, that is very cool.
How did you get him to do that? Is he your buddy or something?

Thanks! I bought a 1996 Alex Rodriguez Game Used Rawlings signed HR #15 Bat. Watched video of that game and found that he used a Louisville Slugger Bat, not a Rawlings Bat. Contacted his public relations people and Arod game me this bat as a replacement. Went nuts when I received it.

MVSNYC 02-01-2020 07:05 PM

Wow, great customer service at ARod Corp. :)

Nice bat.

Topnotchsy 02-01-2020 08:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1951222)
1923 Gehrig minor league Yankees - Hartford contract. You'd have to pry it out of my dead hands.

That's an incredible piece!

I don't know that I maintain quite as strong a grip on mine, but similar theme. Minor League contracts for Roy Campanella. His initial contract to play in Danville and then his next contract a few weeks later to play in Nashua.

One of a few players to sign a Minor League contract before Jackie broke the color-barrier in the Minor Leagues (I believe he was the 4th African American signed).