Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1991 Topps DS Poly Pack Wrappers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343816)

Zach Wheat 12-12-2023 06:34 AM

1991 Topps DS Poly Pack Wrappers

Has anyone ever opened (to confirm true DS cards are inside) a 1991 Topps Pack wrapped in polypropolene wrappers?

It occurred to me that Topps was experimenting with a number of production methods (wrappers, last year of gum)/printing (UV brightener) during the production of this set (and therefore has a lot of variations) including wrapping card packs in polypropolene wrappers instead of wax paper.

I have seen a number of DS packs - but they are all wrapped in wax. Anyone?

-Z

bnorth 12-12-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2396414)
Has anyone ever opened (to confirm true DS cards are inside) a 1991 Topps Pack wrapped in polypropolene wrappers?

It occurred to me that Topps was experimenting with a number of production methods (wrappers, last year of gum)/printing (UV brightener) during the production of this set (and therefore has a lot of variations) including wrapping card packs in polypropolene wrappers instead of wax paper.

I have seen a number of DS packs - but they are all wrapped in wax. Anyone?

-Z

Did they use polypropylene wrappers on the regular issue and if so what is the difference?

jacksoncoupage 12-12-2023 10:01 AM

I cant speak for DS with certainty but I do believe that they all came from wax/paper packs.

As for the regular cards, I have not observed any major difference in contents between poly or wax wrapper packs. I think the same combinations of err/cor cards can be found in both, save for the possibility of a few rarer variations only found in specific types of packaging.

steve B 12-12-2023 12:08 PM

I would like to mention that while the 91s are the most obvious, the backs reacting to UV or not goes back much farther, at least the mid 1980's.

Zach Wheat 12-13-2023 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2396505)
I would like to mention that while the 91s are the most obvious, the backs reacting to UV or not goes back much farther, at least the mid 1980's.

Thanks Steve, didn't know that. Why do you think they printed some of the set with UV brighteners added to the red ink and some of the set without?

One of the oddities of the set.

4reals 12-13-2023 07:26 AM

All of the stat back box variations I found were discovered in jumbo cellos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

butchie_t 12-13-2023 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2396700)
Thanks Steve, didn't know that. Why do you think they printed some of the set with UV brighteners added to the red ink and some of the set without?

One of the oddities of the set.

JMHO. I doubt they even considered that there were UV brighteners in the ink. It just matched what they needed and they used it.

A complete WAG on my part.

Butch.

butchie_t 12-13-2023 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4reals (Post 2396715)
All of the stat back box variations I found were discovered in jumbo cellos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, thanks Joe. ;-)

If the boxes of cellos that I have left are jumbo, I know what I will be doing this weekend. "Lookin' for Cal in all the wrong places, searching for Cal in so many faces."

Butch :D

steve B 12-13-2023 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2396717)
JMHO. I doubt they even considered that there were UV brighteners in the ink. It just matched what they needed and they used it.

A complete WAG on my part.

Butch.

That would be my thinking too. Multiple plants, some using ink with a brightener, some not.
To make it worse, there are some that react with a very dark red color. under specific UV wavelengths. They're much less common, although it is possible I just didn't get batches from the right source.

Why that is for sets that are older I'm not sure. It's much less pronounced, and affects green as well as orange.
I plan on going through all years after the holidays to get an idea of how far back this goes. I do know that many sets have dull or bright back colors under normal light.