Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ISA Grading Company? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=121462)

Robextend 03-06-2010 12:34 PM

ISA Grading Company?

I know there was a thread recently started about a new third party grader (Verisleeve), seems like this is another new one I haven't seen before.

http://www.isagrading.com/

http://cgi.ebay.com/55-1955-Topps-se...item2c53702dd4

From their site:

ISA storms the hobby taking in ten times the amount of cards projected in opening week! Jason Koonce, owner and senior grader of ISA said, “We knew that we had support from numerous dealers and auction houses, but we were still shocked that we brought in just over 17,000 cards for grading in the first week of business. If we continue to gain respect from the collector, the person we care about the most, there’s no telling how big ISA can become.”

Personally I more or less exclusively use SGC and that most likely will never change, but I do find it interesting that more of these fly by night companies are popping up.

Rob

HRBAKER 03-06-2010 12:42 PM

For right now now the storm seems to be limited to three sellers on ebay.

Pup6913 03-06-2010 12:47 PM

The sellers name is great. The grading company not so much. :(

steve B 03-06-2010 01:11 PM

I'm not sure how you could say that unless you've seen the cards firsthand, or sent some in. Inexperienced maybe, new and untried certainly, but not good? I'd think that would have to wait till they've done enough cards.

I must say though that I'm not crazy about having to register to see population reports or the registry. I can sort of see it with PSA since that's part of what you get for the 100 a year, but not for a new place.
Of the two population reports I've looked at I like Beckett over SGC because they show the whole set, not just one card.

Steve

lharri3600 03-06-2010 01:30 PM

i say give them a chance. maybe that's what the hobby needs. if you want to see some beauts graded by the "established" companies just ask and i'll send it to you.

AndyG09 03-06-2010 03:24 PM

I live about half hour away from this new place. The site says you can tour the place by appointment and see how things work. I think I will take them up on their offer. I wonder if PSA or SGC offer tours?

calvindog 03-06-2010 03:30 PM

I'm just stunned actually that SCP, Mile High and H & S would actually pay to put ads on ISA's site. Or perhaps they didn't.

AndyG09 03-06-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 788071)
I'm just stunned actually that SCP, Mile High and H & S would actually pay to put ads on ISA's site. Or perhaps they didn't.

Funny thing is, in some of those ads, they picture PSA slabs.

chris 03-06-2010 03:37 PM

This topic has been discussed over on the PSA message boards. It is believed the ISA grading company is owned or operated by New England Sports Cards and/or 4 Sharp Corners on Ebay.

calvindog 03-06-2010 03:57 PM

You've got auction companies "advertising" auctions which closed four months ago on ISA's site. My guess is that the schmuck that owns this company just grabbed some ads, threw them up on his site in an attempt to make it seem as if these auction companies endorse his product. Hard to imagine anyone would pay to advertise on this site. In fact, I'd be stunned if I am wrong, it appears to be a pretty obvious scam. I just can't believe that Goodwin and Memory Lane are not "advertisers" on the site. As for Legendary, I don't think they have three extra nickels to rub together let alone money pay to advertise on this site.

T206DK 03-06-2010 04:07 PM

Did anyone check out their facebook page ?

Robextend 03-06-2010 04:19 PM

I just checked it out real quick. Doesn't look like there is anyone over the age of 25 working there including the "president". Makes me feel old, and I am only 28! :(

2dueces 03-06-2010 06:23 PM

Does any one recognize the owner? Seems like someone on CU knows who it is, but I have never heard the name.

Rich Klein 03-07-2010 06:01 AM

Iirc

The ISA principle is Jason Koontz (sic), who has been a large volume dealer for more than a decade.

I believe Jason also bought the "SCD" grading name a while back but this is going from memory and I could be wrong on that as well

Regards
Rich

Jim VB 03-07-2010 06:43 AM

I don't know Jason Koonce, but he has a lot of employees for a company with $0 revenue stream.

(I am willing to work with Customer Service and Shipping, however.)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Hu...d=204025093051

calvindog 03-07-2010 07:34 AM

Is there anyone in this hobby who doesn't deliberately try to create a false impression to improve his company's image?

As we all know, the "owner" of this "company" reads this board. Why hasn't he come on and refuted my belief that he puts ads up of auction companies on his website without permission?

Edited to add: I just noticed REA's "ad" is no longer on ISA's website. Nice to see Rob has his lawyers working on Saturday.

NonSportDaniel 03-07-2010 07:39 AM

I like how on the grading scale a "Mint 9" card is described as being in excellent condition.

HRBAKER 03-07-2010 07:54 AM

So the speculation is that we have a large volume dealer now operating a grading company?

botn 03-07-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 788252)
So the speculation is that we have a large volume dealer now operating a grading company?

Why not. If it has been ok for SGC, why not ISA?

BCauley 03-07-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonSportDaniel (Post 788248)
I like how on the grading scale a "Mint 9" card is described as being in excellent condition.

Ha! I was just about to post the exact same thing but figured I better make sure nobody else did first. Got a little chuckle out of me.

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2010 09:07 AM

He is always tough on his own cards. I mean he isn't allowed to submit them. I mean he used to be tough on his own cards but now he isn't allowed to submit them.

JP 03-07-2010 10:57 AM

Out of curiousity, will ANY new grading firm that emerges ever really get a fair shake? It would probably have to be old guys in a big building and some huge connections to even be considered legit....

Rich Klein 03-07-2010 11:16 AM

That is always possible JP

However; the whole concept would have to come from someone considered "impartial" without any cards they own (A precious few to test is probably needed) to grade.

I don't think that PSA could take off today like they began all those years ago because someone would have commented on their owner's (David Hall's) cards. And that would have started a groundswell of criticism.

So, unless someone with deep pockets; good connections and very few self-owned cards comes along, I doubt that we will have any more card graders.

MOO

Rich

teetwoohsix 03-07-2010 11:39 AM

I'm just wondering about something I read on their website-it said Mr.Koonce has been grading cards on a daily basis for the past 12 years.Does anyone know who he has been grading for?I think it was said in an earlier post something about SCD?

I don't know much anything about SCD or ISA.I do think they will have an up hill battle in front of them,no matter what.

Would love to hear feedback from the poster who was going to take the tour.

Regards,Clayton

J.McMurry 03-07-2010 12:25 PM

Didn't someone post that this guy was about 25?
If so, then I'm supposed to be impressed that he was grading cards at 12 or 13 years old?

When I read the original post, the first thing that came to mind was the STAT - Coaches Corner relationship.

2dueces 03-07-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 788237)
The ISA principle is Jason Koontz (sic), who has been a large volume dealer for more than a decade.

I believe Jason also bought the "SCD" grading name a while back but this is going from memory and I could be wrong on that as well

Regards
Rich

Thank you Rich. I had never heard Jason's name in the same sentence with a TPG. With 12 years of experience I would have thought his name would have come up before.

HRBAKER 03-07-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 788261)
Why not. If it has been ok for SGC, why not ISA?

I guess two is always better than one.

Pup6913 03-07-2010 07:00 PM

Well "Failure is only an option you can chose". So if the guy does right and fair he will slowly build a rep and eventually do ok. Or as most of us think, fail because he is not going to get business from real collectors and dealers. JMO:rolleyes:

cozmokramer 03-16-2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris (Post 788074)
This topic has been discussed over on the PSA message boards. It is believed the ISA grading company is owned or operated by New England Sports Cards and/or 4 Sharp Corners on Ebay.

4 sharp corners sells a ton of PSA material specifically... so if it is one of the two, I would expect it to be new england. But i have bought a ton from new england, always raw material however. if it was them wouldn't we expect their merchandise to be graded?