Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What did Hillerich & Bradsby do to batmaking? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262839)

sphere and ash 12-02-2018 07:00 AM

What did Hillerich & Bradsby do to batmaking?

Hillerich & Bradsby have a museum dedicated to telling the story of their contribution to batmaking. I would like to ask the question their story begs: what did we lose with H&B’s ascendency?

I ask because when I look at pre-H&B bats, they are invariably beautiful, of different woods, including tiger maple. Spalding, despite its mass market positioning, had a beautiful line of store model bats.

When I look at early H&B bats, by contrast, they are bland and indistinguishable. Bats of deadball era stars differ from one another only by their signature (Joe Jackson is a rare exception and one of a very few H&B patents).

Would variation in batmaking have continued if H&B hadn’t introduced the signature model? Or was H&B responsible for reducing variation in batmaking to ash (and later hickory)?

What did H&B really contribute to batmaking?

Please post your pre-H&B bats.

sphere and ash 12-02-2018 07:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a tiger maple bat. Did H&B ever produce a tiger maple bat? I can't recall ever seeing one.

MGHPro 12-02-2018 09:11 AM

I've never seen a h&b tiger maple bat . Most, if not all, tiger maple bats that I've encountered are pre 1900 hand turned bats with no maker label present , yours would be the exception .
Matt

T206Jim 12-02-2018 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They commoditized bats with their mass production techniques.

Attachment 336138

Mark 12-02-2018 11:04 AM

what did they do?

Let's put together a more specific list of what kinds of bats might otherwise have proliferated. Aside from maple bats, what else was out there that was being made by Spalding, Wright and Ditson, Hanna et al that wasn't produced by H&B? double knobs? some sort of special surface treatment? Once the length, width, and shape of the bats became standardized by organized baseball, you weren't going to see banana bats or other exotic bats.

sphere and ash 12-02-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 1832348)
Let's put together a more specific list of what kinds of bats might otherwise have proliferated. Aside from maple bats, what else was out there that was being made by Spalding, Wright and Ditson, Hanna et al that wasn't produced by H&B? double knobs? some sort of special surface treatment? Once the length, width, and shape of the bats became standardized by organized baseball, you weren't going to see banana bats or other exotic bats.

There was quite a bit of innovation in bat design around the time of H&B’s launch. Spalding was producing the mushroom knob that had been invented by Jack Pickett, and Wright & Ditson was producing the Lajoie double knob bat, for which it had a patent pending. H&B introduced a “ball balanced“ bat in answer to its competitors, but it doesn’t appear to have gained wide use and H&B doesn’t appear to have done anything else in response.

Spalding was still producing a willow bat in the early 20th century.

Bill Rayburn 12-02-2018 04:09 PM

My favorite...WILLOW

murphusa 12-14-2018 11:50 AM

the new owners of H&B, who also own the Wilson Sports brand are in negotiations with a China Company to buy them. SUCKS