Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1972 Pro Star Promotions Posters (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252248)

tod41 03-07-2018 01:44 PM

1972 Pro Star Promotions Posters

I am looking for the elusive 1972 Pro Star Promotions Posters. It was a Canadian Issue that was released with the more available Postcards. I would not have believed they even existed but I found a Willie Stargell on Ebay a couple of years ago. There are a total of 12 posters, including Clemente, Rose and Mays.

I would appreciate any help on where I can find these posters.

Thanks

Mark70Z 03-07-2018 04:42 PM

Posters

Do you have a picture of one? What are the size of the posters and who is included in the 12? Don’t think I’ve seen one before.

hcv123 03-07-2018 06:48 PM

Tod41

You are looking for a rare bird indeed!! I knew a guy who had a complete set about 25 years ago. I bought the Clemente from him - it is tucked away somewhere. I have searched and kept my eyes open for more ever since. I have never seen them again. Your post is the only time since I bought mine that I have heard them mentioned again. Curious to see if others own or have seen them. If I recall - pose the same as the cards - don't recall exact size - something in the ballpark of Topps '68 posters.

Cliff Bowman 03-07-2018 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't know they existed, either. The checklist card lists them.

Cliff Bowman 03-07-2018 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This must be the Willie Stargell. According to the listing it measures approximately 17 x 22 inches.

tod41 03-07-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1755298)
This must be the Willie Stargell. According to the listing it measures approximately 17 x 22 inches.

That's the one I have. I was just about to post it. You beat me to it!

tod41 03-07-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1755288)
You are looking for a rare bird indeed!! I knew a guy who had a complete set about 25 years ago. I bought the Clemente from him - it is tucked away somewhere. I have searched and kept my eyes open for more ever since. I have never seen them again. Your post is the only time since I bought mine that I have heard them mentioned again. Curious to see if others own or have seen them. If I recall - pose the same as the cards - don't recall exact size - something in the ballpark of Topps '68 posters.

Wow. That's incredible. Has to be one of the rarest Clemente collectibles out there.

Mark70Z 03-08-2018 03:21 PM

Brooks Robinson

What! No B. Robby in the posters!

Never seen those before. Howard you need to dig that Clemente out...

tod41 03-08-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1755514)
What! No B. Robby in the posters!

Never seen those before. Howard you need to dig that Clemente out...

I would love to see that myself. Its the same picture as the postcards but I believe the autograph is placed in a different spot from the postcards. As an aside, PSA just had its second Gem Mint 10 of Brooks Robinson postcard recently.

bigfanNY 03-08-2018 10:45 PM

I have a set of Al and NL postcards in original holders red for Nl and Blue for Al. Tough set to complete given the high number of Hall of Famers that get scooped up by player collectors. I have listed it on BST and get inquiries about singles but I really hate breaking up sets.
And I think due to where they were issued the Royal posters turn up more often than the all star posters. The key difference was already pointed out on the posters they kept the facsimile signature small and most times moved it to a white background where it can be seen easily. I had a small group of posters back in the day but traded them away since storing them was so difficult.

Mark70Z 03-09-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1755651)
I have a set of Al and NL postcards in original holders red for Nl and Blue for Al. Tough set to complete given the high number of Hall of Famers that get scooped up by player collectors. I have listed it on BST and get inquiries about singles but I really hate breaking up sets.

Jonathan,

Can you post a picture of the two packs? I have a couple examples of the B. Robby individual postcard, but don’t recall seeing the original holders they came in when issued.

hcv123 03-10-2018 04:49 PM

Clemente

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go

tod41 03-10-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1756197)
Here ya go

That is a beautiful thing. Wow.

yankeesjetsfan 03-12-2018 08:55 AM

Is that the post card or poster. I noticed 2 Yankees in the post card set which I may be interested in pursuing.

Thank you,

Mike

bigfanNY 03-12-2018 11:45 AM

Mike that is poster if you look at the facsimile signature it is small relative to the size of the player. The postcards being much smaller the auto is much larger and placed differently.
As for a Yankee poster from this set I have never seen one I have seen mostly Mays Aaron and Clemente a couple Seaver's. Back in 72 kids just were not pulling the trigger on Fritz Peterson posters I might have bought a Mercer but Going to games in 72 I remember a crowd of under five thousand at a weekend double header at Yankee stadium. Early 1970's we're lean times for Yankee fans.

tod41 03-12-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1756789)
Mike that is poster if you look at the facsimile signature it is small relative to the size of the player. The postcards being much smaller the auto is much larger and placed differently.
As for a Yankee poster from this set I have never seen one I have seen mostly Mays Aaron and Clemente a couple Seaver's. Back in 72 kids just were not pulling the trigger on Fritz Peterson posters I might have bought a Mercer but Going to games in 72 I remember a crowd of under five thousand at a weekend double header at Yankee stadium. Early 1970's we're lean times for Yankee fans.

It is the Clemente poster. There were no Yankee or Met posters. There are postcards of Fritz Peterson and Booby Murcer for the Yanks and Seaver for the Mera

yankeesjetsfan 03-13-2018 07:29 AM

I'm actually shocked that there wasn't a Seaver poster.

Mike

bigfanNY 03-25-2018 01:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These are the holders that the pro star postcard sets came in Blue for American league red for national league. As for the Seaver I am sure that I saw a poster sized version of this Seaver image but it seems it was not from pro stars.
As for the image on poster and postcard being different you here are the Stargell and Clemente postcards and you can easily see how different the signatures are on the two. They did a good job of placing the signatures on the posters on all white backgrounds so they stand out.
And I made sure to add Mercer for Yankee fans.
J

kid4hof03 03-26-2018 07:04 AM

I've never seen the posters before, they are tremendous.

Mark70Z 03-26-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1760898)
These are the holders that the pro star postcard sets came in Blue for American league red for national league.

Jonathan,

Thanks so much for posting the blue and red holders the postcards came in; never seen them before.