Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Unbellievable -- sub 2 hour marathon (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=274642)

Peter_Spaeth 10-12-2019 06:39 PM

Unbellievable -- sub 2 hour marathon

It finally happened.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/3957053002/

It's a bit tainted (and unofficial) because Kipchoge had pacemakers for the entire route, but even so, an amazing accomplishment, pushing the limits of human performance.

pokerplyr80 10-12-2019 10:25 PM

I don't quite understand how having pacemakers is such an advantage. I had to click on the link to find out they weren't necessary because of a heart condition. I couldn't run 1 mile in 4:35. 26 in a row at that pace is hard to imagine. Very impressive.

steve B 10-13-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1923192)
I don't quite understand how having pacemakers is such an advantage. I had to click on the link to find out they weren't necessary because of a heart condition. I couldn't run 1 mile in 4:35. 26 in a row at that pace is hard to imagine. Very impressive.

Where did you see that the pacers weren't necessary? I looked at the linked article and 4-5 others and that wasn't mentioned.

Pacers are more effective mentally than physically. There's some benefit from drafting, but at running speed it's not a huge benefit. Mentally, the pacers keep a runner from getting distracted and falling behind the pace.
The car projecting a line where the goal would be is a nice touch.

Peter_Spaeth 10-13-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1923311)
Where did you see that the pacers weren't necessary? I looked at the linked article and 4-5 others and that wasn't mentioned.

Pacers are more effective mentally than physically. There's some benefit from drafting, but at running speed it's not a huge benefit. Mentally, the pacers keep a runner from getting distracted and falling behind the pace.

Without the pacers, running in front alone, I think it just as likely he would have gone too FAST and burned out.

pokerplyr80 10-13-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1923311)

In this context a pacemaker isn't as necessary as in the only other in which I have heard that term used. For someone with heart problems.

I've never run a marathon so I had no idea what they were used for in a race. I do now.

Michael B 10-13-2019 08:35 PM

The pacer helps the runner maintain the desired speed over a certain distance. They 'set the pace' and are usually world class runners. They were used by Roger Bannister when he ran the first sub 4 minute mile. They were Chris Chattaway and Chris Brasher. If you watch any of the IAAF Diamond League events you will see pacers in many of the 5,000 and 10,000 races. They are called 'rabbits' as they take the lead at a fast pace and drop out after a few laps. There is not really any drafting as they are not going fast enough. This is not cycling or auto racing.

bnorth 10-14-2019 09:07 AM

That is crazy.

About 35 yrs ago I trained with a pro marathon runner and the first few times out he about killed me. Their pace was unbelievably fast even back then.

Peter_Spaeth 10-14-2019 01:16 PM

In my late teens, I ran a marathon in just under THREE hours, by sheer force of will. The will was not so much in the event itself, but in the relentless training necessary to develop the physical and mental fitness to run that long and that far.

That pace, of course, is a jog compared to what the elite runners can do. When I was running, the world record of 2:08 was held by Derek Clayton of Australia, who said he accomplished it by training "on the edge of death." And many people were skeptical of his time, because the second fastest time was significantly slower.

For a man to now run under 2 hours is, to me, miraculous, pacers or not. And it looks like a woman just obliterated the marathon record too.

steve B 10-14-2019 01:38 PM

To me even good High school runners are very fast. Or NFL linemen for that matter....

Dad ran track in HS and college, and was pretty good for the 1950's
I did cross country. Although my times were in the "hurry up Birmingham we're already on the bus" range. (20:09 for 2.4 miles)

One of our guys was pretty fast, made the state meet every year. He was nice and at times pretty funny. He did something crazy like 5 miles before school and was under 5 minutes for a mile (Literally on the bus when I finished!)
We had a basket ball game with the big rival school, our team won and as many did in the late 70's the kids from the losing school wanted a fight.
What he told me the following Monday at practice was a riot. (I wasn't at the game) Some singled him out and wanted to fight, being a track guy he ran. He just didn't run all that fast.. And since the kid was chasing for some distance he'd slow down and taunt him. The pick up the pace. Apparently he ran the kid for close to three miles until he collapsed. That's when he walked over and calmly said "ok I'll fight you now" Dragged him out of the middle of the street and left.
Don't mess with the distance runners....

the 'stache 10-24-2019 03:39 AM

That's a jaw dropping accomplishment.

Runscott 11-13-2019 10:38 AM

With pacers and a situation set up like this guy had, in any marathon I've ever run, my time would have been better.

Incredible accomplishment, but not the marathon world record for very good reasons.

MrPosadas 11-13-2019 03:33 PM

I am a long distance trail runner and respect what he did as it was an incredible athletic accomplishment, however, having his pacers form a Flying V for the entire duration is a significant advantage. Would be incredible to see a sub 2-hour marathon in a competitive race, not an exhibition. Someone will come along and get it done at some point. After all, records are meant to be broken.