Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1988 Topps Cloth Experimental (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=170164)

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 06-07-2013 11:31 AM

1988 Topps Cloth Experimental

Was just looking something up on PSA's pop report and came across this set entry. There's just one example listed, a Tom Glavine that got an AUTH.

Is this an actual issue or is this a case of PSA screwing up an entry and mislabeling something? If it's a real set, does anyone know anything about it? How many cards? Checklist? How released?

toppcat 06-07-2013 04:59 PM

I believe it's real-there may be some older posts on it here, can't quite recall but try a search as it may pop up.

Gmrson 06-07-2013 06:31 PM

see the '85 Minis thread. These are real, never test "issued". They came out of OPC a few years after 1988.

ALR-bishop 06-08-2013 01:43 AM

1988 Cloth

I have a set...88 I think. They were real hard to find for awhile, them a bunch of uncut sheets hit the market. Still a little tough but they show up as cut singles on ebay regularly

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 06-08-2013 10:03 AM

Thanks Al. Is it the entire 792 card set?

Rich Klein 06-08-2013 03:53 PM

The set is listed in the Beckett OPG

As we entered some of the cards from the set; I don't remember if we had a full set checklisted or just 100 or so cards

Rich

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 06-08-2013 09:36 PM

Thank you Rich. Do you know if there's a checklist somewhere online? I'm curious if there's a Mike Greenwell.

Rich Klein 06-09-2013 11:08 AM

Check

Beckett.com because if it in the data base -- its on line -- I do not know if there are any charges for checklists

Rich

ALR-bishop 06-11-2013 04:12 AM

1988 Cloth

It is a one sheet set, not the full set. Around 80 something cards.SCD has a checklist but I do not have current access to my copy...in Iceland. But my guess is that if you do internet search for "Topps 1988 cloth" you will find one. When I put it together one by one, before all those sheets showed up, Rose was the toughest at that time

update 121 "cards"...teamsets4u.com No Greenwell

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 06-11-2013 09:26 AM

Awesome, thanks Al!

I can't decide if I'm disappointed or relieved there isn't a Greenwell. :)

Rich Klein 06-11-2013 02:04 PM

I would have thought

This would have been 132 cards or the equivalent of one full sheet.

I don't remember how many cards we got listed on the Beckett OPG but 132 sounds like it should have been the right number

con40 06-11-2013 02:35 PM

132 Card Set...

I trimmed out a full sheet of these a few years back and it was one full press sheet. They are blank backed and printed on Tyvek paper.

The sheet has many All-Star cards (Winfield, Clemens, Mattingly, Boggs, Gwynn, etc), Rose manager, Glavine rookie, Don Sutton, and some team highlights cards (Orioles with Ripken, A's, etc.). At random places across the sheet it was overprinted with large copy to the effect that it was a "Topps Test Sheet Nor for Distribution" or something like that.

They are VERY flimsy but oddly indestructible since they are Tyvek.

philliesphan 06-19-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by con40 (Post 1144907)
I trimmed out a full sheet of these a few years back and it was one full press sheet. They are blank backed and printed on Tyvek paper.

The sheet has many All-Star cards (Winfield, Clemens, Mattingly, Boggs, Gwynn, etc), Rose manager, Glavine rookie, Don Sutton, and some team highlights cards (Orioles with Ripken, A's, etc.). At random places across the sheet it was overprinted with large copy to the effect that it was a "Topps Test Sheet Nor for Distribution" or something like that.

They are VERY flimsy but oddly indestructible since they are Tyvek.

Keith -- I still have the Phillies from that sheet you cut up. Love those cards! The large copy does extend over the Steve Bedrosian All Star card, for instance