Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   lawyers guns and money time? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=126151)

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 05:47 AM

lawyers guns and money time?

This is the text of an email a dealer friend of mine received yesterday from JP Cohen of Memory Lane. I don't know what it's about, I could only guess, but it seems at least someone thinks something is in the works.

"Hope all is well. I am writing to you and others, at the request of Marshall Fogel, to organize a meeting on Wednesday evening August 4th at 8:15 pm in room 307-310 (3rd floor) at the National Convention venue.

Marshall emphasized to me that this meeting is important in combating the national consequences that are about to occur causing damage to the reputation and the past financial successes of our industry.

P.S. Email me to confirm your attendance."

Matt 07-30-2010 06:14 AM

Quote:

the national consequences that are about to occur
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...fc/popcorn.gif

Jacklitsch 07-30-2010 06:18 AM

"...industry" :(

Now that is the real problem, thinking of it as an industry, when it should be thought of as a hobby.

FrankWakefield 07-30-2010 06:35 AM

I perceive it all to be a hobby, but one that is "serviced" by that "industry". Wish it was just a hobby... but a bunch of folks now make their livings in what used to be just a hobby.

barrysloate 07-30-2010 06:46 AM

I hope this meeting isn't about anything I said.:(

calvindog 07-30-2010 06:56 AM

Barry, of course the meeting is about you. It's always about you. Now will you just behave already?

But truly, that missive from JP sounds serious. All those fertile minds in one room...I bet they can come up with some good ideas on how fix any 'damage to .. past financial successes.' Maybe they can set aside a few minutes during the meeting to address ideas on how to prevent current fraud in the hobby? Perhaps that's asking too much.

More importantly, how come I didn't get an invite to this meeting?

Exhibitman 07-30-2010 06:58 AM

Major Strasser has been shot and they are rounding up the usual suspects.

Rob D. 07-30-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 826034)

They were worried you'd come down with a tummy ache and end up canceling.

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 07:04 AM

Move over Apalachin.

Leon 07-30-2010 07:13 AM

no worries

I saw the email but for some reason JP doesn't like me or this board, so I didn't receive one. Don't know why that is, but it is what it is.

I have 0 worries about that email or anything pertaining to it. At the end of the day I thoroughly enjoy what I collect. Of course, as many do on this board, I have quite a bit into my cards so don't wish a catastrophe but with my collection the way it is I have no worries at all. Now, someone buying that 22k card that is shown in another thread, or maybe some of the big PSA Registry guys might have something to worry about....or memorabilia collectors.....but for me, not too worried. ;)

calvindog 07-30-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 826037)
They were worried you'd come down with a tummy ache and end up canceling.

If invited I will neither bow out with a tummy ache nor get subpoenaed.

Jewish-collector 07-30-2010 07:55 AM

That's the day & time a bunch of us are meeting for dinner across the street. Is there going to be better food at their meeting ? :D

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 826049)
That's the day & time a bunch of us are meeting for dinner across the street. Is there going to be better food at their meeting ? :D

Alan it may be free -- perhaps you should try to get an invite?:D:D

timzcardz 07-30-2010 07:58 AM

Am I the only cynic that wonders if this is a targeted email engineerd by the Feds to conveniently round up individuals of interest in one place?

And are you all so sure that we really landed on the moon? :rolleyes:

Leon 07-30-2010 08:00 AM

don't think so

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 826051)
Am I the only cynic that wonders if this is a targeted email engineerd by the Feds to conveniently round up individuals of interest in one place?

I don't think this is anything other than what the email said and it's from who it is from. The Feds know how to get a hold of folks (right Brian? :)).

Jim VB 07-30-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 826051)

LOL! I actually suggested that to someone last night. My friend's response was that, if that were the case, and they really wanted to ensure maximum attendance, "JP" (or the Feds) would have promised hookers and blow at the meeting.

Jewish-collector 07-30-2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 826050)
Alan it may be free -- perhaps you should try to get an invite?:D:D

Excellent idea, Peter

http://forum.mydyingbride.org/images...s/beerchug.gif

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 08:06 AM

Surely you are not suggesting those would have enticed any dealers or set registry types? I am shocked. Shocked.

David W 07-30-2010 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=Leon;826041]I saw the email but for some reason JP doesn't like me or this board, so I didn't receive one. Don't know why that is, but it is what it is.

A search of Net 54 using J P Cohen and fraud may be the reason....

It's interesting he is the one cleaning up the hobby.

JasonL 07-30-2010 08:15 AM

I suspect...

there is either something very wrong about to go down with PSA, or they are worried about capital gains taxes
:D

either way, popcorn is a great choice!

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 08:29 AM

who said anything about cleaning up the hobby?

botn 07-30-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

But truly, that missive from JP sounds serious. All those fertile minds in one room...I bet they can come up with some good ideas on how fix any 'damage to .. past financial successes.' Maybe they can set aside a few minutes during the meeting to address ideas on how to prevent current fraud in the hobby? Perhaps that's asking too much.

Sorry Jeff. Don't think JP even has a few minutes let alone a few words to talk about how to prevent fraud in the hobby or anyplace else for that matter. However I do appreciate your new positive outlook on the hobby. Very refreshing.

Exhibitman 07-30-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Maybe they can set aside a few minutes during the meeting to address ideas on how to prevent current fraud in the hobby? Perhaps that's asking too much.

I think the FBI has some ideas in that regard...which is why the hobby's leading curs are panicking.

I didn't get my invite either...

iggyman 07-30-2010 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 826020)
causing damage to the reputation and the past financial successes of our industry.

This is a joke right??? What could possibly damage our hobby-"industry"? Come on now.....within the past few years we've had the major auction house in the hobby involved in shill bidding and other shenanigans......

we've had a big-time dealer caught in the act of trimming and re-slabbing cards......

we've had what was thought of as the premier T206 website discredited as nothing but a scam.....

we've had a recession and a few bounces......

both "industry" leading grading services have clear conflicts of interests......

reprints can be purchased on eBay by the barrel-full.......

PSA has been rumored to be near bankruptcy.....

the premier card in the hobby has a questionable background.....

some cards in the hobby might have been accumulated via questionable means....

Cardboard can now be garnished by doctors with no medical degree required....

'52 Mantle rookie cards reside in fake but darn-near real PSA holders....

Roaches Corner still has a website.......etc, etc, etc.

Yet, I still can't find an Old Judge for $25 dollars, our hobby-industry keeps right on chugging; Cho-Cho.....Chag-a Chag-a Chag-a.....Cho-Cho!!!

Lovely Day...

slidekellyslide 07-30-2010 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=David W;826059]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 826041)
I saw the email but for some reason JP doesn't like me or this board, so I didn't receive one. Don't know why that is, but it is what it is.

A search of Net 54 using J P Cohen and fraud may be the reason....

It's interesting he is the one cleaning up the hobby.

You owe me a new keyboard.

calvindog 07-30-2010 11:16 AM

In the end, all any of the guys in any meeting in Baltimore care about is how does issue x affect their money. I don't care if Mr. Y is getting indicted or if anyone caught the "gypsies" that ripped off Lionel Carter, all any of them care about is how something affects their finances. They may try to make it appear as if this is an industry-wide issue but in reality what they really are saying is "I may have a problem, can we all get together and figure out how to help me?"

Wesley 07-30-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggyman (Post 826123)
This is a joke right??? What could possibly damage our hobby-"industry"? Come on now.....within the past few years we've had the major auction house in the hobby involved in shill bidding and other shenanigans......

we've had a big-time dealer caught in the act of trimming and re-slabbing cards......

we've had what was thought of as the premier T206 website discredited as nothing but a scam.....

we've had a recession and a few bounces......

both "industry" leading grading services have clear conflicts of interests......

reprints can be purchased on eBay by the barrel-full.......

PSA has been rumored to be near bankruptcy.....

some cards in the hobby might have been accumulated via questionable means....

Cardboard can now be garnished by doctors with no medical degree required....

'52 Mantle rookie cards reside in fake but darn-near real PSA holders....

Roaches Corner still has a website.......etc, etc, etc.

Yet, I still can't find an Old Judge for $25 dollars, our hobby-industry keeps right on chugging; Cho-Cho.....Chag-a Chag-a Chag-a.....Cho-Cho!!!

Lovely Day...

our hobby in a nutshell

FUBAR 07-30-2010 11:19 AM

I think it's just sour grapes, the guy finally realized his Mother Teresa auto from the last Coach's Corner auto wasn't authentic..... so now "Somebody gonna get a hurt real bad"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVlX9...eature=related

IGGY, you're sure blowing a lot of smoke out your ass! lol

Leon 07-30-2010 11:28 AM

yeap

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 826126)
In the end, all any of the guys in any meeting in Baltimore care about is how does issue x affect their money. I don't care if Mr. Y is getting indicted or if anyone caught the "gypsies" that ripped off Lionel Carter, all any of them care about is how something affects their finances. They may try to make it appear as if this is an industry-wide issue but in reality what they really are saying is "I may have a problem, can we all get together and figure out how to help me?"

From my phone calls this morning this does indeed seem to be a prevailing thought. It seems as though any time someone says "how may I help you?" they really mean "how may I help myself?" .....

mark evans 07-30-2010 11:29 AM

A fascinating development. I can't wait to see the "national consequences that are about to occur." With luck, maybe they'll occur during the show.

calvindog 07-30-2010 11:33 AM

I still want to know how they plan on fixing 'damage' to 'past financial successes.'

Perhaps through restitution?

Leon 07-30-2010 11:37 AM

maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 826134)
I still want to know how they plan on fixing 'damage' to 'past financial successes.'

Perhaps through restitution?

Pure speculation here but maybe it meant to say something like "how can we protect past financial successes?" ........

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 11:51 AM

"both "industry" leading grading services have clear conflicts of interests......"

I know what SGC's is, what's PSA's?

Matthew H 07-30-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggyman (Post 826123)

In comparison to every thing else you've listed, I'd say that card's lookin' pretty good now:p

M's_Fan 07-30-2010 12:03 PM

The message is really vague and it could mean anything or nothing.

Exhibitman 07-30-2010 12:58 PM

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

calvindog 07-30-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark evans (Post 826131)
A fascinating development. I can't wait to see the "national consequences that are about to occur." With luck, maybe they'll occur during the show.

Perhaps the 'national consequences' will occur after they let JP man the phones for a few hours?

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 826163)
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I thought it was more like a walking shadow.

Cat 07-30-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 826135)
Pure speculation here but maybe it meant to say something like "how can we protect past financial successes?" ........

My Belief: I think what some are afraid of are their past investments. I doubt that they are afraid of the money they made but the investments with unrealized returns.

botn 07-30-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 826041)

Obviously you either did not donate much or anything at all when he was raising money for the widowed wives of policemen and firefighters killed in the line of duty.

calvindog 07-30-2010 01:37 PM

And don't forget the gypsies, please let's not forget the gypsies.

Is it true that gypsies sometimes walk around in vintage Cubs jerseys?

iggyman 07-30-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 826142)
"both "industry" leading grading services have clear conflicts of interests......"

I know what SGC's is, what's PSA's?

PSA??? I thought they ranked third in the industry. Perhaps I meant Beckett (unless someone objects.......then I'll go with GAI).

Lovely Day...

FUBAR 07-30-2010 01:52 PM

If anyone is going to the National and can get some MMA national exclusive cards/ promo cards, i am very interested in obtaining them from you.

Hopefully they take down Kevin Burge, who has a booth at the Nat'... biggest forger out there!

Hankphenom 07-30-2010 03:54 PM

1099 Time?

Anyone else heard that the IRS has finally wised up--or staffed up--and will be requiring auction houses to issue 1099s to consignors? If so, fine with me, its just another area of dishonesty in the hobby that needs to be cleaned up the way I see it. And those who haven't been paying taxes on such high profile and well-documented income have been rolling the dice anyway. Maybe that's what this meeting is about.
Hank Thomas

teetwoohsix 07-30-2010 04:12 PM

IRS + hobby? How fun.

Thrill-of-the-Hunt 07-30-2010 04:16 PM

i was thinking about that

there are alot of "part time" dealers with massive inventory and expensive material. what are the chances some of these folks set up at shows and are obviously doing this professionally and not reporting? some people bought their homes & cars just on card deals alone. even bill mastro stated he sold that wagner and ordered himself a brand new mercedes (at the time i think the card sold for $110,000 to copeland) alledgedly of course.

if auction houses are to send out 1099's.... memory lane has had some record setting prices over the last decade and alledgedly those cards never left their perspective registry sets to change hands. it doesnt really matter as the bidding records are destroyed anyway.

calvindog 07-30-2010 04:33 PM

Well, not all auction houses follow the "dog ate my homework" lead of Mastro/Allen and destroy bidding records. At least I hope not.

Exhibitman 07-30-2010 06:11 PM

Maybe it will be the Spanish Inquisition? After all, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

http://veggiemacabre.files.wordpress...nquisition.jpg

Hankphenom 07-30-2010 06:23 PM

hobby/business

Quote:

Originally Posted by teetwoohsix (Post 826212)
IRS + hobby? How fun.

Yes, I have great fun with the hobby AND I deal with the IRS, too. No problem.

ElCabron 07-30-2010 06:48 PM

I just hope Dave Kohler received this e-mail and will be attending. He and JP have enough integrity to clean up the entire hobby by themselves.

-Ryan