Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do you think of the new PSA slab? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241287)

The Nasty Nati 06-19-2017 10:09 PM

What do you think of the new PSA slab?

What do you guys think of the new PSA slab?

https://www.psacard.com/security

A lot of new features. I think the QR code on the back is a little dated but I guess that's a nice feature for the registry. What I really don't like about the new slab though is this new 'lighthouse' PSA logo on the front. It's HUGE not to mention it dissects the classic red border. Suddenly all of the old PSA slabs will look out of place because the border is now split. I have a feeling a lot of OCD collectors will have an issue with this and/or people that like to display their PSA cards.

It reminds me of the time SGC messed with their iconic green border and after a lot of negative feedback they tweaked the design to incorporate the border. I appreciate the new technology, but this new PSA front logo is going to stick out like a sore thumb when every PSA slab made since 1991 has an unbroken red border.

It would be great if they would consider moving the light house logo above the classic red border and just make the new logo a little smaller.

Jdoggs 06-19-2017 10:18 PM

I think the new slab is very excellent!

Bicem 06-19-2017 10:19 PM

Don't worry, it will change again soon.

clydepepper 06-20-2017 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1672737)

...and there will be a price bump each time...

bnorth 06-20-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1672737)

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1672750)
...and there will be a price bump each time...

Lets not forget the huge push to get people to reslab their cards because any slab/label before this latest and greatest is just not worth having.

Here is a link to this same thread already in the water cooler section. http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241094

Peter_Spaeth 06-20-2017 05:41 AM

At the end of the day it is still a piece of cheap mass produced plastic. And it must mean the last one from a couple of years back that at the time was so great has not solved the problem.

bnorth 06-20-2017 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1672759)
At the end of the day it is still a piece of cheap mass produced plastic. And it must mean the last one from a couple of years back that at the time was so great has not solved the problem.

I don't think they changed the cheap plastic slab, just the label again.

Peter_Spaeth 06-20-2017 05:48 AM

They are touting a stronger weld though. Stronger than what?

toledo_mudhen 06-20-2017 05:51 AM

Is it just me or have they tightened down the screws on grading stamdards with the release of the hologram labels? I've compared lots of side by side grades and it appears to be the case.

frankbmd 06-20-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1672761)

Tuesday??? ;)

Peter_Spaeth 06-20-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1672787)
Tuesday??? ;)

Get thee back to the watercooler. :D

GregMitch34 06-20-2017 09:42 AM

My biggest issue has not been new holders but PSA's increasing use of ugly wrap surrounding cards inside the holder (even t206s) allegedly to hold them in place. They've always done it on very limited basis but now going whole hog. Ruins many cards for me and I never buy them now as "aesthetics" mean a lot for me. I realize some people like the extra "protection." Anyone else agree?

jcc6252 06-20-2017 10:06 AM

It hasn't deterred me from buying one (at least consciously), but yes it detracts. It's just one more layer between your eye and the card. I have a similar opinion about BVG.

MikeGarcia 06-20-2017 10:54 AM

Yeah , I think so....

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 1672762)
Is it just me or have they tightened down the screws on grading stamdards with the release of the hologram labels? I've compared lots of side by side grades and it appears to be the case.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...900578_NEW.JPG

...yeah I think so too....I got these back around Christmas ; I know this set ; I was truly expecting 8.5 's with an outside chance of a 9 for the Bridges and Miksis..------.or just maybe they were assigned to the "Grader Of Death" at 4.52 pm on a Friday....

samosa4u 06-20-2017 12:01 PM

Better get used to it, people. PSA won't stop until they create a perfect holder, and I believe they eventually will. In the future, they will insert a micro chip into the case. If anyone cracks the case open, then the chip will immediately transmit the information to the PSA headquarters. The card will also be automatically removed from their online database.

Furthermore, human graders will be replaced by GREEN LASERS. The GREEN LASERS will be able to zoom in on the card (7000 x) and even the tiniest amount of restoration will be detected. No more inconsistencies in grading, no more doctored cards getting slabbed - everything will be perfect.

ullmandds 06-20-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1672871)
Better get used to it, people. PSA won't stop until they create a perfect holder, and I believe they eventually will. In the future, they will insert a micro chip into the case. If anyone cracks the case open, then the chip will immediately transmit the information to the PSA headquarters. The card will also be automatically removed from their online database.

Furthermore, human graders will be replaced by GREEN LASERS. The GREEN LASERS will be able to zoom in on the card (7000 x) and even the tiniest amount of restoration will be detected. No more inconsistencies in grading, no more doctored cards getting slabbed - everything will be perfect.

r u for real?

VintageBen 06-20-2017 08:52 PM

the $7 reholder fee isn't really a problem imo, the problem is the $29 return shipping... I think the new holder will be good for the hobby.

Rookiemonster 06-20-2017 09:03 PM

I just think it's way way for them to continue to re slab cards. It cost them nothing to do and probably makes a ton . I would like to see how much they made from the last time they made a a hologram.

If they change the plastic holder that will cost to much money. No matter how much they say that it's for you the collector. Remember it's about how much money they make.

glchen 06-21-2017 12:09 AM

I personally like the new PSA flip a lot, so much so, that once I saw it, I renewed my PSA Platinum membership because I was afraid prices would soon go up. I'm sold on it, and the logo dissecting into the red frame doesn't bother me.

drmondobueno 06-21-2017 12:52 AM

Don't care.

PSA is like any profit driven company. Things do not happen if there's no money in it. Maybe it's protecting market share, maybe creating a new market by disavowing old holders, maybe just new flash to keep up with the times.

You tell me. No company will blab their strategies for all to see. Just have your cash ready.

Pay up, sucker.

MVSNYC 06-21-2017 05:47 AM

The size, location and amount of PSA logos on both sides of the flip, is a bit much, to be polite. Looks too busy visually.

ullmandds 06-21-2017 05:52 AM

i like the added security measures...but seriously Joe...we should now consider PSA a technology company...get real!

ullmandds 06-21-2017 05:54 AM

oh...and by the way..."never get cheated!"

Gmrson 06-21-2017 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1672761)

Their weld machine setting goes to "11", which is better than the others that only go to "10".

Peter_Spaeth 06-21-2017 08:03 AM

To be really cynical, my guess is that our man in Mexico is not going to be deterred by this. I hope I am wrong and that it helps and it is good that PSA is trying. I don't think people really appreciate the extent of the problem.

bobbyw8469 06-21-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1673083)
To be really cynical, my guess is that our man in Mexico is not going to be deterred by this. I hope I am wrong and that it helps and it is good that PSA is trying. I don't think people really appreciate the extent of the problem.

Me either Peter......some of these guys think there are an endless supply of Pete Rose PSA 10 rookie cards!!

Peter_Spaeth 06-21-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1673084)
Me either Peter......some of these guys think there are an endless supply of Pete Rose PSA 10 rookie cards!!

It's more of an issue, I think, with cards where seeing a 10 doesn't immediately raise a red flag because lots exist, like Jordan, Montana, etc.

drmondobueno 06-21-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1673046)
oh...and by the way..."never get cheated!"

Lol

PiratesWS1979 06-21-2017 09:50 AM

These are nice looking slabs, I received this Monday.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/...psyc8nylhw.jpg

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/...pssvwatkxm.jpg

turtleguy64 06-21-2017 10:08 AM

Happened to me,too,several times.Ultra quick finish up a submission at end of the workday and I get screwed.But one time the cards were overgraded in my favor,couldn't believe the grades I got.Even a Santo '61 rookie with a clearly creased upper corner got a 7.The quick denigrating grades on a submission far surpassed that one in my favor.

botn 06-21-2017 11:05 AM

PSA has always been about profits first, not protection first however that is abundantly clear that some collectors are not able to see that.

They had no choice but to change to the existing holder to made it more difficult for them to be opened and resealed. They had no choice but to upgrade the flip with more security features so that they will be harder to reproduce them.

I am not sure how this prevents the fella in Mexico (or anyone else) from continuing to do what he is doing. As long as cards with previous versions of flips are in circulation it is a green light for this fraud to continue.

mechanicalman 06-21-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 (Post 1673107)

This lends credence to the idea that the grading standards are tougher with the newer slabs. That's a great looking 3!

The Nasty Nati 06-21-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 (Post 1673107)

Personally all I see now is an obnoxiously huge PSA logo. My eye first goes directly to that massive light house. But beautiful Cy Young by the way.