Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Late breaking 1936 S&S Game Card news (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248725)

brianp-beme 12-11-2017 12:05 PM

Late breaking 1936 S&S Game Card news

2 Attachment(s)
The 1936 S&S Game Card set most likely contains the cheapest PreWW2 cards available, and has never been one showing much collector interest.

I am about to elevate its intrigue level to just above a plain white envelope.

The cards come with either a dark green back or a tan back, with the tan back being the much more scarce variation. What I recently discovered regarding the tan back variation should rock the ever burgeoning PreWW2 game card collecting community to its core.

Note in the scans below that the last name of Kiki Cuyler is misspelled 'Cyler'. This is on the tan back version of the card. My supposition, based upon this revelation, is that the Tan back cards were issued first(!), and that this error was corrected on the subsequent issue of the more frequently seen green back versions of these game cards.

It would be interesting to find out if any possessors of the 1936 S&S Game Card of Kiki Cuyler can come forward with any other versions beyond what is shown below, or if any other variations in the set have been seen.

To recap, 1936 S&S Game Card tan backs were most likely issued before the green back versions. You may now proceed on with your life as if this revisionist dialogue never existed, and continue to believe that plain white envelopes are more interesting than these cards.

Brian

drcy 12-11-2017 12:17 PM

That is if you consider time linear.

brianp-beme 12-11-2017 12:38 PM

I always imagined linear to proceed in figure 8 fashion, with the 1936 tan back S&S cards at the demolition derby epicenter.

Brian

Leon 12-12-2017 09:48 AM

This is such an exciting story it took me a almost a full day to open the thread. The SS Game cards are as intriguing as (insert something very boring). I guess back in the day they probably didn't have the Fake media so the mistake "was" probably made first. Now we can lay that long, unanswered question to rest. Did I have to wake up for this? :)

Jay Wolt 12-12-2017 10:42 AM

Brian, I've had a few sets over the years & never knew about the Cuyler variation.

The sets were issued in 2 styles of boxes, large & small
here's the small box

https://qualitycards.com/pictures/36sassmall.jpg

brianp-beme 12-12-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1728815)
Did I have to wake up for this? :)

There is no better reason to wake up than the mere thought of exciting 1936 S&S Game Card variations. A close second would of course be plain white envelopes. Old school lick and seal on morning tongue is better than the smell of coffee brewing.

Brian

brianp-beme 12-12-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 1728835)
Brian, I've had a few sets over the years & never knew about the Cuyler variation.

Hi Jay, I have a feeling that the variation can only be found with the tan back cards...have you ever owned any of the tan backs?

Brian

Leon 12-15-2017 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1728855)
Hi Jay, I have a feeling that the variation can only be found with the tan back cards...have you ever owned any of the tan backs?

Brian

I had a tan one but not Cuyler. As a type collector I didn't see too many of the tan ones.

Jay Wolt 12-15-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1728855)

Brian

I've had a bunch of Tan ones over the years & still have a few
Don't remember if I had Cuyler or not.
I always liked KiKi, as we shared the same birthday, along w/ Ted Williams

brianp-beme 01-20-2018 10:53 AM

FYI...the Kiki Cuyler in the complete set of tan backs offered in the current Bagger's auction is spelled 'Cyler'.

Brian

Leon 01-22-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1740306)
FYI...the Kiki Cuyler in the complete set of tan backs offered in the current Bagger's auction is spelled 'Cyler'.

Brian

An early uncorrected error, unless the corrected one came later? :) If it were a T206 someone might be able to retire on the sale of it.

brianp-beme 01-22-2018 05:28 PM

I'm thinking the tan backed 'Cyler' cards I have seen indicate that the fairly uncommon tan back version of the set was released prior to the more common green backs, and the error corrected for the green back run. I have not seen a 'Cuyler' tan back nor a 'Cyler' green back.

Brian (purveyor of late breaking S&S game card news)

Leon 01-25-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1741029)
I'm thinking the tan backed 'Cyler' cards I have seen indicate that the fairly uncommon tan back version of the set was released prior to the more common green backs, and the error corrected for the green back run. I have not seen a 'Cuyler' tan back nor a 'Cyler' green back.

Brian (purveyor of late breaking S&S game card news)

I concur with your hypothesis.

brianp-beme 01-25-2018 10:18 AM

Are we all in agreement now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1741870)
I concur with your hypothesis.

Hypothetically my hypothesis concurs with your concurrence.

Brian

Leon 01-26-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1741880)
Hypothetically my hypothesis concurs with your concurrence.

Brian

You do realize we just broke a Guinness Book of World Records for most talk and views of the SS game ever, right? They just aren't too snazzy relatively speaking. But every card set has an admirer.

Butch7999 01-26-2018 09:43 AM

For all you guys who are so painfully bored by this set and are tired of them taking up room in your boxes or binders,
send 'em to us. We'll gladly take them off your hands, no charge.