Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Any Insight on these "progressive proofs" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=287949)

TUM301 08-24-2020 04:23 AM

Any Insight on these "progressive proofs"

Hey Guys, going through some items the other day came across these 2 blanked back proofs. Using the SGC label came up pretty flat, wondering if any "54`ers" had info to share. Thanks for any assistance.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b5763329_c.jpgUntitled by Hugh Murphy, on Flickr

swarmee 08-24-2020 05:03 AM

Looks like one has the magenta plate transfer and the other has the cyan plate transfer.
What insight are you looking for?

Mark70Z 08-24-2020 04:18 PM

Think they are what they say... Progressive Bazooka proof. What other indie are you looking for?

TUM301 08-24-2020 05:45 PM

John, Mark thanks for the responses. Mainly wondering if there`s any 54`ers that actually collect them as I can`t remember them mentioned before. Again, thanx for the responses.

swarmee 08-24-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUM301 (Post 2011524)
John, Mark thanks for the responses. Mainly wondering if there`s any 54`ers that actually collect them as I can`t remember them mentioned before. Again, thanx for the responses.

There definitely are, but if you're trying to sell them, you should use the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

If you want to find those collectors and just chat with them, search for "progressive" or "proof" and see who posts in those threads that collects them. You'd also get some interest in Frank Robinson or Rocky Colavito player or team collectors, I'd bet.

hcv123 08-24-2020 08:28 PM

Ditto

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2011534)
There definitely are, but if you're trying to sell them, you should use the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

If you want to find those collectors and just chat with them, search for "progressive" or "proof" and see who posts in those threads that collects them. You'd also get some interest in Frank Robinson or Rocky Colavito player or team collectors, I'd bet.

What he said.

brian1961 08-30-2020 06:23 PM

Yes, Mr. Murphy, I believe I can comment on your fine progressive proofs from the 1960 Bazooka set.

Early in my second year of the adult hobby, 1973, I had the glorious experience of attending the Saturday of the Chicagoland Sports Expo in the northern suburbs of Chicago. A Philadelphia-area collector - dealer by the name of Irv Lerner had some amazing Bazooka cards. Methinks he had a friend in the Topps offices, because he had been selling several current Topps test issues besides a few old Bazooka panel sets and complete boxes.

In chapter 18 of my E-book on a CD covering immediate post-war regional / food issues, I detail the blessed experience I had of winning a complete GEM MINT proof set of 1961 Bazooka baseball panels at the late-night Saturday auction that was held. Irv Lerner had consigned the set. My dear mother could not stay that late, and it was not a good idea for me as well. So, I asked my good friend in the hobby to bid for me, since he and his wife were determined to hold out until the end of the auction. My friend won the set! I was so grateful to him, and always will be. My friend's name was Lionel Carter.

Anyway, I seemed to recall eventually buying the complete progressive proof panels with the Roger Maris card. Now the "complete" description is not entirely accurate, because the final full-color and black typeface proof panel with Roger Maris, along with the other similar '61 panels, are what constituted the complete 1961 Bazooka baseball proof panel set I won at auction. The colors and print registration are absolutely perfect on each panel. That's why I prize the set so much to this day. As for who I bought the Maris progressive proofs from; this I hate to say excapes me. I think I sold those within the last 30 years.

As I re-read this post, there's only a few crumbs of info specific to your question, but it's the best I can do. All the best to you. --- Brian Powell