Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Old school baseball in CLE (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325953)

BobbyStrawberry 10-07-2022 12:04 PM

Old school baseball in CLE

8th inning and both starters are still in!

ETA And just like that Bieber is pulled after 7.2...

BobC 10-07-2022 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2271138)
8th inning and both starters are still in!

ETA And just like that Bieber is pulled after 7.2...

It's the playoffs. If you don't win, there may not be a next start in 4-5 days for that starter to be getting ready for.

But in Cleveland's case, they have a great bullpen to fall back on, with multiple guys they can count on.

BobbyStrawberry 10-07-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2271208)
It's the playoffs. If you don't win, there may not be a next start in 4-5 days for that starter to be getting ready for.

But in Cleveland's case, they have a great bullpen to fall back on, with multiple guys they can count on.

Good point about the short series. Still, I was surprised - I believe they said on the broadcast it was the first time a starter under Kevin Cash ever went more than 6 in the playoffs.

BobC 10-07-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2271214)
Good point about the short series. Still, I was surprised - I believe they said on the broadcast it was the first time a starter under Kevin Cash ever went more than 6 in the playoffs.

Absolutely right on your part and what you mentioned, but again, the playoffs are a whole different season and logic. Don't know much about Cash, but Terry Francona is no fool, and one of the smartest managers in baseball, now, and maybe of all-time. He is the manager that helped break Boston's curse of the Bambino. And look at his team today.

The Indians/Guardians are playing small-ball as in the old days. They have, I believe, the youngest roster in MLB, along with at least three good starting pitchers, including the last MLB pitcher to win the coveted pitching Triple Crown. With all the talk of Ohtani and Judge for MVP, Cleveland's Jose Ramirez should be getting some love, and MVP votes as well. You want to talk about a player being valuable to his team.....just look at the 5'9" Ramirez. And he continues to perform and produce, year in and year out. And I had mentioned once before in another post about their rookie, Steve Kwan, as a very possible ROY candidate. Francona knowns how to play the game, and bring along his young players and get the most out of them as a team. They have been one of the hottest teams in MLB over the last month and a half or so. Francona knows you go with, and stay with, what is working for you, especially when you get to the playoffs.

Oh, and interestingly enough, the game ended up as a 2-1 victory for Cleveland, in a playoff record time of just 2 hours and 17 minutes. That is the fastest playoff game in the majors since 1999 I believe. If this is part of where MLB is looking to direct the game in the future, Cleveland and Francona are already ahead of the curve. LOL

And Tampa Bay seems to be following similar thinking/tactics. This playoff series looked to be a low scoring, pitcher's type duel from the start. And in addition to both starters in today's playoff game going 7+ innings, both teams only used one reliever to then finish the game. If you like that kind of baseball and play, it should be a great series to watch. Figured it would go three games, but with Cleveland taking game 1, they may just end it the next game with their 1A starting pitcher on the mound.

BobbyStrawberry 10-08-2022 12:09 PM

Also good points, Bob - and, agreed on Ramirez... He's still somehow underrated for how amazing he is!

BobbyStrawberry 10-08-2022 01:13 PM

And today we get some real extra inning baseball! Ive really missed it...

D. Bergin 10-08-2022 02:35 PM

13th inning and 0-0. So glad they don’t have the ghost runner in the playoffs to cheapen what these pitchers have accomplished on both teams. Gotta earn that 1st run.

BobbyStrawberry 10-08-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2271478)
13th inning and 0-0. So glad they don’t have the ghost runner in the playoffs to cheapen what these pitchers have accomplished on both teams. Gotta earn that 1st run.

Absolutely! I love the slow buildup of drama in a game like this...

D. Bergin 10-08-2022 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2271478)

I should have added "and fielders".....

mrreality68 10-08-2022 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2271449)
And today we get some real extra inning baseball! Ive really missed it...

A lot of extra inning baseball and every at bat counts

Love it

clydepepper 10-08-2022 03:39 PM

While I was glad to see no ghost runners, the 15 innings did press the pitching staffs and it ended the non-old-school way anyway.

frankbmd 10-08-2022 06:11 PM

What happened?

Did the International Brotherhood of Ghost Runners go on strike?:eek::eek::eek:

BobbyStrawberry 10-08-2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2271558)
What happened?

Did the International Brotherhood of Ghost Runners go on strike?:eek::eek::eek:

Or perhaps: MLB realized how stupid the zombie runner rule is and won't use it for games that actually matter!