Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Dizzy Dean Secretarial--Heritage Auctions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272549)

thetruthisoutthere 08-19-2019 02:41 PM

Dizzy Dean Secretarial--Heritage Auctions

2 Attachment(s)
I don't have a Heritage account, but someone may want to inform Heritage that the below "Dizzy Dean" (slabbed by PSA) is a fairly common secretarial.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515

Attachment 362986

Attachment 362987

perezfan 08-19-2019 03:01 PM

Nice catch, Chris...

And it realized over $5K! :eek:

thetruthisoutthere 08-19-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1909746)
Nice catch, Chris...

Thank you, Mark. Just lucky.

I'm curious who over at PSA authenticated this.

Duluth Eskimo 08-19-2019 09:49 PM

Hopefully you save someone some money with that. That is pretty blatantly secretarial.

thetruthisoutthere 08-19-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1909746)
Nice catch, Chris...

I don't have an account....

Is that really what it sold for?

BillyCoxDodgers3B 08-19-2019 10:30 PM

Never understood how this could be such a rarity in light of how Dean literally had twice as long to sign the B&W plaques as he did their gold counterparts. The gold plaque PCs are common and can be had for next to nothing. One hypothesis is that collectors would mail the B&W to Dean and a pre-signed gold version was sent in its place (some signed by Diz himself, others by Pat Dean). Through talking to collectors who received gold plaques in-person from Dean, they were indeed pre-signed, and Mrs. Dean had in fact signed some of those in advance!

jad22 08-20-2019 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1909915)

They had one go for 20 grand a while back. Also, everyone knows Dean plaques (B&W) are highly collected and as such should not be drone reviewed.

keithsky 08-20-2019 02:34 PM

Nice catch Chris. Even if someone would have contacted Heritage they wouldn't have pulled it in my opinion. Others on here have informed them over the years about questionable items and they never pull any of it. I think they feel they know more than anyone else so they don't like others telling them they are wrong. Especially if it has the famous PSA label on it and I say that sarcasticly

perezfan 08-20-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1909915)

Yup... $5,040 to be exact.

Hopefully, the "winner" didn't have to pay sales tax on top of that!

bigfanNY 08-20-2019 03:13 PM

This is why it it so hard to pull the trigger on big ticket Autographed items. I would love a Ruth but cannot get over the fact that I cannot trust the TPA's to get it right. And despite collecting for almost 5 decades autographs are not my strength. But I have owned a few Dizzy Dean signatures and know the one in the OP is not Dizzy. And I have to believe that someone at Heritage knows it to.
Jonathan Sterling

Baseball Fan 08-20-2019 06:25 PM

I've been told they have been made aware of this situation.

thetruthisoutthere 08-20-2019 07:29 PM

Thank you guys.

I am sure Heritage will do the right thing.

ruth-gehrig 08-25-2019 04:57 PM

The right thing couldn't possibly be offering it as a buy it now because it didnt sell at auction.:rolleyes:

thetruthisoutthere 08-26-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1911506)
The right thing couldn't possibly be offering it as a buy it now because it didnt sell at auction.:rolleyes:

Very disappointing that it is still on their site.

johnts1 08-28-2019 10:03 AM

Bravo Chris. I was always under the impression that PSA was pretty tight when it came to the sports autographs. I'll tell you something else, I'm delighted that there are a few groups out there, like this one who really cares and has a passion for authenticity. I'd trust you and the rest of you guys before I trust any TPA. Thank you.

thetruthisoutthere 08-28-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnts1 (Post 1912274)
Bravo Chris. I was always under the impression that PSA was pretty tight when it came to the sports autographs. I'll tell you something else, I'm delighted that there are a few groups out there, like this one who really cares and has a passion for authenticity. I'd trust Chris and the rest of you guys before I trust any TPA. Thank you.

I've always been upfront about the fact that I am a supporter of the TPA's, but I would have thought that at least one of their authenticators would have immediately recognized this as a common sec.

chaddurbin 08-31-2019 08:12 AM

Maybe this is an older cert? Because if you can't trust the baseball dealers currently at psa with a dean secretarial (their specialty) what can you trust them with anymore? Just heard alot of bad things with them recently. I know some members here know them personally, what's the scoop?

Like Chris I'm a fan of tpa, I want them to succeed not fail. SGC has already folded I want as many (good) options/opinions as possible.

Duluth Eskimo 08-31-2019 05:29 PM

It’s just a mistake. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn’t make it any better, but that’s what it is. They don’t seem to overlook things like this when I have sent items to them. In fact, they have declined a number of items that were authentic. That is why it is tough to do business with them. They make easy mistakes like this, yet kick items that are simple and authentic. Yet keep your submission fee.

ruth-gehrig 08-31-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1911714)
Very disappointing that it is still on their site.

Surprised more people dont think the same thing

Duluth Eskimo 08-31-2019 09:48 PM

I referred to the mistake by PSA. Obviously disappointing that HA wouldn’t pull the item when it is blatantly obvious there’s an issue. Although, look at some of the people they have hired.

thetruthisoutthere 09-01-2019 09:47 AM

Unfortunately this isn't a "mistake."

Simply put; evidently, no one at PSA had knowledge of this Dizzy Dean sec-signed plaque and that's troublesome.

earlywynnfan 09-01-2019 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about this one? McNeal was known to be unable to sign for years, so he used a stamp.

Even if somebody at PSA wasn't as versed on NL autos, can't you clearly see it's a stamp???

tha-rock 09-02-2019 10:28 AM

Like a lot of you I have a love-hate relationship with TPA's, but like has said, I want them to succeed. I have invested a ton on money on their certification and when you try to do business in a world based on trust such as the autograph hobby/business is, the TPAs word carries a lot of weight. If there was a total breakdown in the confidence of the buying public of TPA's judgement, then let's face it- our collections would lose most of their value and all that money we spent on certification would have been better spent on something else.

Yes, they make mistakes, and it's unfortunate when they do. Slabbing a rubber stamp autograph is a mistake. And I agree it is frustrating when they fail items you know to be good and you send it to another TPA who slabs it as genuine. I have had that happen many times and it has been costly. TPAs should use better quality control, because they have as much at stake in this as we do. If the buying public loses confidence, then their business suffers. I think the hobby has put too much pressure on TPAs and they have not kept pace. Do you recall what the TPA turn around time on most autograph submissions used to be? And what is it now? There is too much work for them and they have not hired enough people or developed the infrastructure to deal with the volume. And when that happens, something suffers, and I fear it is quality of work. That is reflected in wrong calls and mistakes. I hope that changes.

earlywynnfan 09-02-2019 01:58 PM

I understand mistakes. I make plenty of them. Slabbing a rubber stamp is ineptitude.

So is asking me who the signature was on the ball, then putting the hologram on for me. (JSA)

So is rejecting an auto, having someone they've never heard of call them out of the blue -- me -- explaining why it's real, and they say OK, send it back, we'll approve it. (PSA)

The above track record is out of my three (3!) actual interactions with the TPAs.

Ken

perezfan 09-02-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1913806)
I understand mistakes. I make plenty of them. Slabbing a rubber stamp is ineptitude.

So is asking me who the signature was on the ball, then putting the hologram on for me. (JSA)

So is rejecting an auto, having someone they've never heard of call them out of the blue -- me -- explaining why it's real, and they say OK, send it back, we'll approve it. (PSA)

The above track record is out of my three (3!) actual interactions with the TPAs.

Ken

Well it could be worse...

You could be relying on PSA for Card grading instead of autographs. At least their current crop of autograph authenticators have exhibited a decent level of competence throughout the years. :rolleyes: