Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wanted: Unique Nellie Fox Cards & Items (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272803)

ChiSoxTony 08-25-2019 05:31 PM

Wanted: Unique Nellie Fox Cards & Items

Please post or PM me if you have some unique Nellie Fox items to sell (or even just to show). Seeking rare items from his playing years, such as salesman samples, hard to find pins, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiSoxTony 08-25-2019 06:20 PM

Leon, I think I should have posted in buy/sell/trade. Sorry for this. Are you able to move it?

paul 08-25-2019 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, it's not for sale, but here's a Japanese Nellie Fox. The auction house I purchased it from classified it as a 1953 JBR 27 Yamakatsu. I don't know anything more about it than that.

ChiSoxTony 08-25-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul (Post 1911574)
Sorry, it's not for sale, but here's a Japanese Nellie Fox. The auction house I purchased it from classified it as a 1953 JBR 27 Yamakatsu. I don't know anything more about it than that.

Thank you for sharing this. I’ve never seen one before.

JollyElm 08-25-2019 09:28 PM

How about some background info for us onlookers. What's your fascination with Nellie Fox? Your favorite player as a kid or just something else completely? I find things like this very interesting indeed.

ChiSoxTony 08-25-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1911588)
How about some background info for us onlookers. What's your fascination with Nellie Fox? Your favorite player as a kid or just something else completely? I find things like this very interesting indeed.

Sure thing. Thanks for asking. I was born in ‘76 so I never saw him play or even coach. I’m a big White Sox fan and card collector, with a preference for vintage cards. My grandfather always talked about him and Billy Pierce, and that started me down the path. The more I learned about Fox, the more I liked him. Great glove. Hardly ever struck out. I started collecting him and have a lot of fun doing it, so I just keep going.

whiteymet 08-30-2019 08:06 PM

Nellie Fox

8 Attachment(s)
Hey Tony:

I collect Richie Ashburn stuff like you do Nellie. For me the odder the better!

Here are some things I am sure you don't have, at least the first ones.

Hartland statue paint molds. Most of these have long handles in order to hold them up to a statue to paint whatever area the mold was made for. Nellie's Hartland number of 919 is embedded on each of the metal molds. Showing a few of the ones I have.

During the 59 World Series Hartland could not keep up with demand for the Fox and Aparicio statues and ran out of boxes. So they commandeered other players boxes and slapped a yellow sticker on top announcing they were 59 Champions! In this case they used a Babe Ruth box.

I have a few other things too, but no photos. PM me for my email address if you want to see them.

Best,

Fred

ChiSoxTony 08-30-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 1912975)
Hey Tony:

I collect Richie Ashburn stuff like you do Nellie. For me the odder the better!

Here are some things I am sure you don't have, at least the first ones.

Hartland statue paint molds. Most of these have long handles in order to hold them up to a statue to paint whatever area the mold was made for. Nellie's Hartland number of 919 is embedded on each of the metal molds. Showing a few of the ones I have.

During the 59 World Series Hartland could not keep up with demand for the Fox and Aparicio statues and ran out of boxes. So they commandeered other players boxes and slapped a yellow sticker on top announcing they were 59 Champions! In this case they used a Babe Ruth box.

I have a few other things too, but no photos. PM me for my email address if you want to see them.

Best,

Fred

Wow, Fred! Definitely things I have not seen before. Thank you for sharing these items from what must be a great collection.