Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   question about an ebay seller (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=225627)

vintagebaseballcardguy 07-17-2016 07:35 PM

question about an ebay seller

Have any of you all done any business with/have any opinions regarding newenglandsportscards on ebay? I have always collected primarily '50s and '60s cards. However, I was born in '73 and am finding a sudden interest in a few '70s baseball and football sets they have. It is kind of a weird shift in my focus that I didn't plan on. Anyway, this seller has most of the complete sets I am interested in pursuing over the next few months. Their prices are a bit higher relative to some others I see, but they advertise their cards to be pretty high grade. I was just wondering if any of you had any experiences with them. Thanks.

The-Cardfather 07-17-2016 07:42 PM

I've made several purchases of single cards (no sets) from them over the past couple of years. I've never had any problems.

I like the fact that for post-1990 cards, they feature an actual scan of the card for sale (on eBay) rather than just a stock photo.

They get a thumbs up from me!

jfkheat 07-17-2016 09:21 PM

I think newenglandsportscards is owned by 4 Sharp Corners. 4SC uses newenglandsportscards to sell their lower grade cards. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
James

Harliduck 07-17-2016 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 1562872)
I think newenglandsportscards is owned by 4 Sharp Corners. 4SC uses newenglandsportscards to sell their lower grade cards. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
James

I don't know if that is true, but I have bought several off both....many years for newenglandsc and have never been disappointed. Great ebayer...and the list for me gets pretty short when it comes to the big dealers.

DBesse27 07-18-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 1562872)
James

This is correct. The ones that 4SC elects not to submit to PSA get sold through their NESC name. If you know that going in, they're an excellent seller. I have bought many EX-MT to NM cards from them to fill out raw sets or to get autographed. You'll never buy a raw card from them and land it in a PSA 9 holder. But if that's not your goal, they're great.

Exhibitman 07-18-2016 09:32 AM

Actually I did get a raw card from them and it graded a 9. 1969 Topps Phil Esposito. Bought it raw for $15 assuming a flaw but the card looked so nice I sent it in on a special.

Just understand that usually their stuff is ex-mt to nm. You will rarely fish out an 8. Lots of o/c too.

divecchia 07-18-2016 09:50 AM

I've bought some cards from them.

James is correct, newenglandsportscards is owned by 4 Sharp Corners and the cards they sell are the cards that don't meet 4 Sharp Corners standards to submit to PSA. Adam is also correct in that their cards are pretty good for raw, but chances of landing anything more than PSA 8 is going to be slim but it does happen.

Donato

clydepepper 07-18-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harliduck (Post 1562901)
I don't know if that is true, but I have bought several off both....many years for newenglandsc and have never been disappointed. Great ebayer...and the list for me gets pretty short when it comes to the big dealers.

+1

Many purchases - no complaints. I used NE regularly when I was building my Topps sets.

Cliff Bowman 07-18-2016 10:11 AM

I have bought several single cards and lots from them with no problems, but you can forget about asking them questions about the cards. They will just tell you that they do such a heavy volume of business that they don't have time to go back at look at cards once they are listed. One time they accidentally sent me someone else's cards, a couple of mid seventies Topps Football League Leader cards. They told me to just keep them and they would take care of it, but I sent them to their PO Box anyway.

Econteachert205 07-18-2016 10:36 AM

Good seller.

ALR-bishop 07-18-2016 11:05 AM

Sending Back

I have no doubt you got a grateful thank you reply, Cliff :)

JustinD 07-18-2016 12:24 PM

Brought many, many times from both.

Never had an issue.

vintagebaseballcardguy 07-18-2016 06:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The fact they are owed by 4SC doesn't really influence me either way in that I wasn't looking to buy any high grade raw singles to send in for grading. Some of you mentioned buying sets or filling in sets from their inventory and being satisfied with that end of their business. That is my interest in potentially buying from them---sets. Their prices on lots/sets are decent. They provide nice scans that are representative of the lot/set.

They do appear reputable according to their feedback and what you guys say about them---which carries a lot of weight with me. They are at least more comforting to buy from than some guy who uses panoramic views of his cards in his listings. I mean I get a real laugh out of sellers who take those far away pics of their cards and say in their descriptions something catchy to the effect of "See scans for condition," "I am not a professional grader. The scans speak for themselves," "Cards as pictured" ....and then I can barely tell there's a card there, to say nothing if its a reprint, creased, stained, written on ,etc.

Adam, I also noticed the OC factor in perusing some of their offerings and will be mindful of that.

Stampsfan 07-19-2016 01:12 PM

I may be a little late, but I thank everyone as I learned something today; did not know of the affiliation between NESC and 4SC.

I too have filled in several sets with them, and the cards are certainly decent and well priced for my tastes. One trend I've noticed... if the lots expire, they typically come back at a discount. This trend likely continues until the item sells. I've watched several lots from NESC, and at some point the price became attractive enough that I pulled the pin.

I have nothing but positive things to say about NESC. A+

vintagebaseballcardguy 07-19-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1563483)
I may be a little late, but I thank everyone as I learned something today; did not know of the affiliation between NESC and 4SC.

I too have filled in several sets with them, and the cards are certainly decent and well priced for my tastes. One trend I've noticed... if the lots expire, they typically come back at a discount. This trend likely continues until the item sells. I've watched several lots from NESC, and at some point the price became attractive enough that I pulled the pin.

I have nothing but positive things to say about NESC. A+

Thanks for that info. , I have learned from this thread, too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bcwcardz 08-07-2016 06:48 PM

Great seller, really nice cards. Bought a partial 75 Topps BB set which was pretty clean. Bought a single card from them , clean as well. Only thing is the single card was mailed in a plain white envelope in a cardsaver. I know some people get a little peeved when a card is sent like a plain old letter or greeting card. I had no problem. If you want older mint cards and don't mind paying they will take care of you.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

murphy8276 08-11-2016 02:32 PM

I was going to post a good review of them when I first opened this thread, but then tried them again for another card and had pretty bad results.

What stinks is the first set 200 cards were bought and more than you would guess were high grades (BGS 9.5 or PSA 10) and the 2nd set 125 different cards were bought labeled as MINT and many were gum stained, wax stained, and corner beat.

I would say from this they are pretty far away from knowing their actual inventory and obviously the system 4sharpcorners, aka, newenglandsportscards has in place is not a perfect way to weed out high grades nor low ones and label as such. They probably have a mass batch process of doing it and I will just have to not use them anymore based on last sample alone. I can't give them a pass on it either, because I cleaned out their stash of them and so I didn't just get a bad batch of 125...