Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Removing a PSA/DNA sticker from a vintage photograph- HELP PLEASE! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169695)

Scott Garner 05-31-2013 05:41 AM

Removing a PSA/DNA sticker from a vintage photograph- HELP PLEASE!

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a PSA/DNA sticker from the front of a vintage photograph?

I'd appreciate anyone's advice that's willing to weigh in... :)

travrosty 05-31-2013 08:07 AM

Just leave it, its too far gone.

in the years ahead, these stickers on nice signed photographs will be the scourge of the hobby.

thecatspajamas 05-31-2013 08:08 AM

Step 1) Smack the moron that had them put it on the front in the first place. :mad:

I'll let others fill in steps 2 and following, as I've never tried it myself. Good luck, Scott. I think I just woke up a little cranky this morning.

HRBAKER 05-31-2013 09:33 AM

Don't remove it!
It's the only thing that gives the photo any value! :p;):o:):rolleyes::eek:

OASN, wish I could help but I would be very leery to attempt it.

thecatspajamas 05-31-2013 09:59 AM

Now that I've settle down a bit, I think first thing I would try is gentle heat to get the sticker off in the first place, and then possibly some Pec12 or similar to remove any adhesive residue left behind. I seem to vaguely recall this coming up at least once before and that method working, though it seems like it may have been a print he was removing the sticker from.

I might also normally suggest lighter fluid, except that I have no idea what effect that would have on the emulsion surface. This is all just me spitballing ideas, mind you, so input from others is definitely welcome. Also, if you try anything liquid, beware of any crazing in the emulsion surface of the photo which could allow seepage below the emulsion surface.

Scott Garner 06-01-2013 06:46 AM

Lance,
Thanks for your suggestions.

Are there any others that have some thoughts on this topic?

Thanks!

keithsky 06-01-2013 08:35 AM

I would call PSA and ask them. I'm sure they have maybe tried to remove them at some point.

Scott Garner 06-01-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithsky (Post 1139775)
I would call PSA and ask them. I'm sure they have maybe tried to remove them at some point.

Hi Keith,
That's also not a bad idea and I had not thought of that.
Thanks!

Frozen in Time 06-01-2013 09:39 AM

Scott,

A product that some have had success with is "Un-Do Adhesive Remover" - an acid free "safe for photos" liquid that safely removes all traces of adhesives - see their website.

If it were me and the hologram sticker was not obtrusive (say in the bottom right corner), I would leave it alone. If you just have to get rid of it, just be careful that their is no crazing of the emulsion in that area to avoid pathways down to the paper fibers.

Cheers,

Craig