Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Slightly OT: Ted Williams, David Ortiz and my Dad (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=229413)

scooter729 10-02-2016 07:57 PM

Slightly OT: Ted Williams, David Ortiz and my Dad

2 Attachment(s)
56 years ago, on a cold and rainy September day in 1960, my dad was one of only 10,000 in attendance to witness to one of baseball's most famous moments - Ted Williams' last home run in his final at bat. In fact, he actually nearly caught it - he is the one in the red box in the picture from the front page of the next day's Boston Globe, as the ball landed in the Red Sox bullpen just a couple of feet out of his reach.

Fast forward to today, poetically another cold and rainy fall day in Boston, and I was able to take my Dad (81 years young now) for the final regular season game at Fenway for David Ortiz. In an ironic coincidence, my season tickets of 13 years are in nearly the identical spot where Dad sat for Ted's last game.

Alas, there was no similar ending today, as Ortiz grounded out in the 9th, but the tribute was incredible, and being able to take him to such a game like this today was a great way to thank him for all the games he took me to over the years.

Based on the passage of nearly six decades, coupled with the sparse attendance for Ted's last game - I can't imagine there are many other folks who could link Ted and Papi's last games. I'm just glad Dad can lay claim to doing it.

irv 10-02-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1590507)
56 years ago, on a cold and rainy September day in 1960, my dad was one of only 10,000 in attendance to witness to one of baseball's most famous moments - Ted Williams' last home run in his final at bat. In fact, he actually nearly caught it - he is the one in the red box in the picture from the front page of the next day's Boston Globe, as the ball landed in the Red Sox bullpen just a couple of feet out of his reach.

Fast forward to today, poetically another cold and rainy fall day in Boston, and I was able to take my Dad (81 years young now) for the final regular season game at Fenway for David Ortiz. In an ironic coincidence, my season tickets of 13 years are in nearly the identical spot where Dad sat for Ted's last game.

Alas, there was no similar ending today, as Ortiz grounded out in the 9th, but the tribute was incredible, and being able to take him to such a game like this today was a great way to thank him for all the games he took me to over the years.

Based on the passage of nearly six decades, coupled with the sparse attendance for Ted's last game - I can't imagine there are many other folks who could link Ted and Papi's last games. I'm just glad Dad can lay claim to doing it.

Great story!

Thanks for sharing it.

Although I'm a Jays fan and wanted them to win, I was hoping Papi was able to do what Ted did many years ago. It would have been fitting for sure.

Peter_Spaeth 10-02-2016 08:22 PM

John Updike's account of Ted's final game should be mandatory reading.

Scott great story.

Speaking of literature, I fear the Indians of Cleveland. :)

tedzan 10-02-2016 08:37 PM

Scooter

A wonderful story....thanks for posting your Dad's experience.

I'm a life-long Yankees fan....growing up in the late 1940's and the 1950's. Anyhow, I would cheer for Ted Williams to hit HR's at Yankee Stadium.
And, I've seen Ted hit many of them there (and some tremendous HR's in the upper RF seats).

Ted was one of my favorite ballplayers during my youth. Your Dad and I are very fortunate to have seen Ted play.

TED Z

tombocombo 10-02-2016 08:45 PM

Wonderful story

Thanking you for taking your dad.

MVSNYC 10-02-2016 09:11 PM

Thanks for sharing! The bond, it seems, you & your dad have is wonderful. My dad and I had a similar (strong) bond. He passed away last year...cherish the time with your dad (I am sure you do).

PS- tonight (now) on MLB Network, they have a special on his ".406" season.

baseball tourist 10-02-2016 09:22 PM

Awesome story! Even better that the Jays won ;)

ajjohnsonsoxfan 10-02-2016 09:54 PM

Love this! Thanks for posting

Go Sox!

Jay Wolt 10-02-2016 10:08 PM

Scott that was a nice post. Glad your dad got to witness Teddy Ballgame & Big Papi's farewell
& the latter w/ you.

ValKehl 10-02-2016 11:08 PM

A great day, Scott, for you both to cherish, always. I am fortunate to also have seen Teddy Ballgame hit a homer - at long-gone Griffith Stadium in DC.

Rickyy 10-03-2016 12:48 AM

Sweet Story!

Ricky Y

scooter729 10-03-2016 06:45 AM

Thanks all - appreciate the nice comments!

I do know how fortunate I am to be able to spend these times with my father. He's the reason I got hooked on baseball early in life, and it's connected us since. I love his stories - his neighborhood friend was the Boston Braves' batboy in the late 1940s, and they always played baseball with the Braves' equipment once the season ended! - and fear not hearing them someday. That's why days like yesterday were extra meaningful.

Thanks for giving me a place to share this.....

Leon 10-03-2016 06:57 AM

You do man, Scott. Very, very cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1590578)
Thanks all - appreciate the nice comments!

I do know how fortunate I am to be able to spend these times with my father. He's the reason I got hooked on baseball early in life, and it's connected us since. I love his stories - his neighborhood friend was the Boston Braves' batboy in the late 1940s, and they always played baseball with the Braves' equipment once the season ended! - and fear not hearing them someday. That's why days like yesterday were extra meaningful.

Thanks for giving me a place to share this.....