Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Chromebook Computers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256101)

jerrys 06-09-2018 05:47 AM

Chromebook Computers

Advertised:
Google PC operating system
Built-in virus protection
Automatic software updates
Faster browsing
Longer battery life
Lightweight

Any recommendations - comments?

BruceinGa 06-09-2018 05:54 AM

I heard that they don't have a hard drive, everything is saved to the cloud. I don't know if that is a pro or a con.

toledo_mudhen 06-09-2018 06:14 AM

Ive worked in IT for many years - These are popular because of the Price Point Only. In reality they are pretty low end, do not have a standard OS, and generally don't last very long. Most of the users that purchase them eventually come back to a Windows or Apple device.

drcy 06-09-2018 11:50 AM

I have a chromebook and like it. And I've had PCs and Apples before. I got the chromebook because my Apple was 10 years old and the chromebook was CHEAP (like less than 20% of an Apple!), so I thought I'd take a chance.

Positives: CHEAP (Break it, buy a new one), LIGHT (carry my laptop wherever I go, so this is big for me-- if you bring your laptop on your plane trips, believe me light is great), works like a normal computer and you can do all the stuff you can on other computers (internet, word processing, take videos and photos, skype, listen to music, etc), built in and automatically updated anti-virus, the battery does last a long time. I like cloud-- can access your stuff from other computers. You do have a small hard drive. Easy to use and set up.

Negatives: Cheapest versions have less memory (might want to upgrade for more memory), some of the stuff (word processing, etc) isn't as good as on Apple, etc. It is a lesser computer, but whether or not that's bad depends on what you do with it.

But, as I said, I like my chromebook. If you aren't a graphic designer or professional photographer or video maker in need of latest, cutting edge software, and just want a computer for normal purposes, a chromebook is good.

I didn't like my Apple, in part because it had so many things break down on it. For a while, it seemed I was taking it into the Apple Store every other week. Just personal experience, but my chromebook has been more reliable that way than my Apple. Considering my mom had the same maintenance problems with her Apple laptop and not with her chromebook, it's more than just one personal experience.

In conclusion, the chromebook is 70% of an Apple at a fraction of the cost.

A problem with IT tech people recommendations for normal people is the tech people want and need cutting edge apps, bells and whistles that normal people often not only don't want or need but find a hindrance. My mom, who is pretty computer savvy and sharp for a 78 year old, wished her Apple and her new car had 50% of the bells, whistles and electronic gadgets, 60% that make her life harder not easier. As she said "You shouldn't have to press five different buttons to turn on a car radio." I'm of a younger generation that grew up on computers, but, having attempted to use her car radio, 100% agreed with her. A common problem for the masses is that computers and cards are designed by IT for IT people-- which is fine if you're an IT person, but not for the majority of normal people. I do stuff on my computer like word processing, blogging, skyping, making videos, photos, listening to music-- but put myself in the normal person category, so my thumbs up is coming from a normal person not an IT person.

So, when I say a chromebook does 70% of the stuff that an Apple does, some people, including my mom, would say "That's exactly what I want."

jerrys 06-09-2018 07:28 PM

Thanks drcy - as you say the memory is simple to upgrade and Google has a free word-processer online. There are many makes and models of these computers - what did you decide on?

drcy 06-09-2018 11:03 PM

Acer Chomebook 11 CB3-131. The cheapest, 'lowest' of the bunch.

The only practical problem for me is I'm a book writer, and it can take a few extra minutes to load a full 200+ document. But that's about it. Also, the google docs word processor doesn't always perfectly translate to word-- get's a bit messy sometimes, but I'm a book writer so may be more picky than others about that.

PowderedH2O 06-17-2018 07:12 AM

I have a laptop and a chromebook. I love the chromebook. It doesn't quite have everything I want, so I still need my laptop for some bigger projects, but on a daily basis, the chromebook works just fine. Oh, and since it has no hard drive, I've never had a hard drive crash. I also have never gotten any kind of virus, although I can't explain why that is... maybe the lack of a hard drive.

drcy 06-18-2018 01:48 AM

Yeah, there are a couple of things I need my old Apple to do, but they are pretty technical rare things.

Econteachert205 06-18-2018 06:13 PM

Public Schools use these for the reasons stated and they are surprisingly durable. Obviously they have limitations but overall a good product for the money